HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 06:36:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19684 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Tell me again why I live where the cold hurts your face
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Tell me again why I live where the cold hurts your face  (Read 428 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: February 09, 2017, 03:59:03 PM »

Our temps this winter have been all over the charts. Most of our snow has gone back and forth between snow and freezing rain, which means the temps have been mild and in the low 30's. We had some nice 45 degree days, which then tank to the teens and single digits.

Yesterday was sunny and 48 degrees. Today is blizzard and 6 degrees with a 20+ MPH wind. It snowed and sleeted Tuesday night into early Wednesday. The snow melted a lot yesterday but due to having to get firewood and drag 2 days worth of loose hay into the barn, on top of animal control calls, I didn't get to clean the goats stall. When I went to do it today, the bedding/poop etc was frozen solid in the doorway because of the meting yesterday. I couldn't get it removed so I could shut the stall door leading to the outside. I tried everything I had to get it cleaned, but no go, nothing worked.  So, the door leading  outside from their pen is stuck open. Blah.

It's still snowing like crazy. We have close to a foot of snow right now and it's supposed to go until tonight some time.

My demented dogs think it is all great fun. The horses don't seem to mind it either. The goats and chickens join me in total disdain for the cold, snowy windy day. Angry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 05:01:27 AM »

Think "spring"...  and stay safe.  I don't miss that kind of weather.  I heard that on the news and thought about you immediately.  How much snow did you all eventually get?  I had heard 8 to 12 inches was what they were calling for.  That kind of snow would put power lines down, hopefully that doesn't happen to you.  Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 01:25:25 PM »

Because my friend, you are just as stubborn as the rest of us.  Wink

How long have you been in Maine, Deb?
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 02:00:25 PM »

We woke up to 18 degrees yesterday morning and today our high is 60.  I agree this weather is nuts!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 05:41:15 AM »

This weather is nuts...we had 83 degrees day before yesterday, had a tornado here on Tuesday, then yesterday the temp's dropped 20 degrees, more than that for the night time, and the wind picked up and after that rain and storm on Tuesday that bitter wind and drastic drop in temp's was very cold feeling.  Up and down, up and down.  Like a yo-yo.  Spring...think spring. 

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 10:04:04 AM »

I think I have read that this is going to happen-
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 05:12:45 PM »

The storm you are talking about dumped about 15 inches on us, 0 degrees with a windchill of well below 0. We had 5 more today and it's still snowing, high of 9 degrees. Tomorrow into Monday we are supposed to get 24+ with wind gusts 40-50 mph.

Nancy, we moved to Maine from Massachusetts in 1980 to dairy farm and for my ex to have a horse shoeing route. He decided both were too much work and decided to fake injures so he wouldn't have to work. Lost the dairy farm during that federal buy out. Our loan was FmHA. A foster kid my ex dragged home burned the house, so the Feds used that as an excuse to shut us down. Angry Angry Angry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 05:26:08 PM »

Oh geez that's awful!
I knowed you've been in Maine a long time.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »

Well, 2 days of steady snow and Cat 2 hurricane winds. It's still snowing. At least it's a bit warmer, in the 20's. The state was pretty much shut down, it was so bad even the town and state plow trucks were pulled off the road due to white outs.

Made it to work, now to get home.

The goats got a break and have been fed in the barn. The drifts are up to my shoulders between my house and the barn and my house and the dog areas. I had to have my older female Malamute pull me thru the snow to get to their area so I could feed out and clean before work. My poor Pyrenees, Nessa, has never seen this much snow. She leaped out of the porch this morning and sunk in a drift. All I could see of her was her black nose! Usually she runs down to the fence line between my house and the neighbors and barks. Today she followed right on my heels as I trudged down to the chicken coop to feed the birds. The coop is on the way to Nessas barking and toilet area, but I stopped at the coop. She acted all sad and depressed that I did not break trail for her over to her area!  Roll Eyes

I shoveled the pathways, but the wind was blowing so hard that everything I cleared was filled right back in and then some within minutes! Angry

The horses were outside running around, playing. So were the 4 "outside" Malamutes. Silly fools. tongue

My neighbor dug my driveway out for me so I could go to work. I would never have been able to shovel that snow, it was so deep and packed.

Now they are predicting another 8-12 inches on Weds into Thursday.  Angry Angry Angry Sad Sad Sad

Ugh, when all this melts, my barn is going to be flooded.

nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »

Oh geez that's bad! I just cannot imagine all that.
How did your older female pull you? Do you have a sled or what?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 09:48:31 PM »

Just the leash. I was taking her and Rocky to their yard so I could do chores. The show was just too high for me to easily walk thru it, so she hauled me along.

I do have the dog sled, harness and lines but they are not at the house right now.

Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 01:40:44 AM »

Weather forecasts for your part of the country just look worse and worse.  Please be safe, and know that we're pulling for you.

When your son comes home later this year, you might consider moving someplace more temperate, like Virginia.  Just sayin. There's also NC, SC. TN etc., etc.  Places where the summers are more-or-less tolerable, and winters aren't too bad. And no black flies!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 04:36:18 AM »

I totally agree with Pat.  I don't know that I could handle that kind of cold and that much snow.  You're one tough cookie Deb.  Your description of what it's like up there far exceeds what I was imagining it to be like after listening to the news.  That just sounds awful.  I know, you could winter in the southern states and summer in Maine...yep that means hauling all those critters back and forth, but so worth it, if these types of things keeps happening to you.

I can't fathom that kind of weather, even being born and raised in Missouri, I don't recall any thing like you're getting right now.

Stay safe as possible up there Deb.  Keep in touch and let us know you're ok.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »

The boys don't get out of prison until May and December of 2018, so I have 15 and 22 months before they are home.

I'm too old to pack up and move, would never be able to get a job at 61 that would pay for a small farm and the animals feed.

They have upped the amount of snow tomorrow to 18". Good grief, there is no place to put it! The banks at the base of my driveway are 20 feet high! I have to stay at the top of my driveway and peek thru the bushes to make sure no cars are coming, then I gun it and get out into the road quickly. The snow is so high the goats cannot leave the barn, it's way over their heads. SO, 15 adult (12 pregnant!) does in one pen. What a mess. I will have to dig out so I can clean the stall tomorrow, in the middle of the storm. I can't go out the manure pile door, that is buried in 10 feet of packed snow from where it came off the roof. I will have to chase the horse out of his stall and go that way, dumping it all in the horse pasture.

I needed to get hay delivered today, I spent all morning digging out the driveway cut off where the tractor dumps the big round bales. The drifts were over my waist. I had to dig out anyway because I store my firewood next to where the hay is stored. I had to dig and poke to find which snow bank the wood pile was hidden under. When I saw a bit of blue tarp I knew I had found it. I'm worried that the horses and dogs will escape, since the electric fence is buried and grounded out. You can't even see the horses fence because of the snow, just 1 section is visible. I may remove the jump wire from the horse fence and attach it back to the dog fence, since I am more worried about the dogs escaping than the horses. I think I can jury rig it enough so that the visible part of the horse fence and the strands in the dog yard will be hot but the parts buried in the snow will not be.

Thank goodness I don't have to work Weds and Thursday!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 03:54:25 PM by dragonlair » Logged

Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 08:33:57 PM »

Deb -- You are NOT too old.  Yes, moving is a pain (just ask Birdie), but it's certainly do-able, and you and your boys sound as if you could all benefit from a new start.  Your particular job expertise will trump your age...that's something you can take anywhere!  Part time or full time -- you can find a spot.

New climate, new friends, new opportunities...give it more thought.  I'll bet someone here on GB has an idea of the perfect place, and you should know that anyone in this community will help however we can.

You don't have to decide today.  But please think about it.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: