HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Feet Trimming Time Again
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Feet Trimming Time Again  (Read 210 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: February 13, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »

Well the first one only took about a half hour so I'm taking a break. At this rate it should take me into March if I do one a day.
Problem is I'm tired of doing it all by myself. I like having someone with me. Bob has a real good eye for it..."You need to take the rear inside toe down a little more."
The real fun part is going to be Rose. She is very well behaved but her almost 4 mo old daughters need theirs done too. It's going to be separation anxiety as in, "Me me! You
love me no don't take her you want ME I'M your favorite, remember?"
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:31:25 PM »

Yeah, same here. I can do 1 ,maybe 2 a day and that's about it. Because of my hips and knees, I wasn't able to do them for a while, so I am way behind and their feet look horrible. I got the 2 worst ones the other day, 16 more to go!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 08:41:37 PM »

Yeah I'm into that, just doing a couple a day.
Many yrs ago I bragged about getting about a dozen done in a few hrs. Not anymore.
I got Victoria's front ones but the rear feet are way overgrown & hard. Will try again tomorrow.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 04:43:47 AM »

Boy do I remember that!!!  Embarrassed Roll Eyes  When we had the 103 head, I thought hoof trimming would never ever end.  That's when I started really appreciating the Kiko's.  Their hooves you might do two sometimes 3 times a year and that's it.  Those Boers, omg...it was a constant every 6 to 8 week job.  I had BoCephus who hated it so much that he'd lay down on me!!  Yeah, that little imp would lay down while I was trimming his hooves and some how it always ended up that it was on top of me!!!  We had to use the belly band on him and a person on his horns holding his head up to keep him from going down.  And then Roady...he was like a blender on steroids...he'd shake those legs so hard and so fast that you couldn't hold a hoof for love nor money.  The kids born and raised on our farm were handled a lot, hooves messed with all the time, so they never minded me trimming hooves.  But wow, those that weren't, it was awful.

Nancy, we had those that would come up and say "me first"...Shane and I would trim hooves together on the ones that we didn't raise and sure enough, here would come their daughters and they'd want their attention 'RIGHT NOW'...and a few would push me in the fanny to get me to stop and pay attention to them.  Hubby couldn't make them stop because he was holding the one I was trimming.  It was funny at times, but at other times not so much.

~ Birdie ~
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 09:28:48 PM »

All mine need done too. They look terrible. My hands have gotten so weak since I quit working at Whirlpool that it is hard for me to do. Dan is willing to help but he always wants to take too much off at a time and I'm afraid he will cut too deep. I need a goat farrier to just come do them all at once. ( And maybe I should look the other way so I won't be such a control freak)

Central Ohio
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 01:24:05 PM »

mine are due in a couple of weeks.  I do all 21 at the same time ( well one after another  Roll Eyes)  I can't stand up straight after that but I am glad to get it done.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 10:29:22 PM »

I was always happy to get it done also, but I sure hated dragging myself out there and doing it. When we had them up for hoof trimming they also got their worming and fly/tick treatments.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: