HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:07:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Stork Talk (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  FF Blondi kidded!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: FF Blondi kidded!  (Read 225 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: March 01, 2017, 07:58:42 PM »

Yesterday she spent a good deal of time off to herself. This am she was a little more vocal than usual so I brought her in. That was the only sign she was ready.
No mucous not even very big but her udder was shiny.
Went to check at 3pm; two does already!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 05:06:30 AM »

Yippee!!!   :grnstrs: :grnstrs:  Congratulations...How many did she have?   Where's the pictures? Smiley

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 12:58:25 PM »

Two does. No pics, camera died of old age & Bob's phone won't let me load.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 01:09:34 PM »

Congrats on the healthy kids!  I missed where you had the others, but looks like things are going well.  Enjoy those babies   Grin
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 06:45:41 PM »

Congrats on the kids...and DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »

Yay!  Does!!!  Congrats! 

Elizabeth
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 08:36:07 PM »

We have been without the main pen for a good 6 mos. Our sweet neighbor came over today to put up the car canopy where new fencing has been put up. 4 does  & their kids have been cooped up in the kidding pens since Christmas.  Angry
Normally they get put out with the rest at 3 days old.
Blondie & her girls had to go to a makeshift aisle between a sheet of plywood & the entrance to the chickens where I have to move about 15 barriers, half the time stepping over her or her kids. In the meantime she leaves to go help herself to the stacks of alfalfa.
Probably forgot to mention the lost kid fiasco. Ready?
There was a 4" hole with a 2' drop. Could not find one of the twins who belonged to another doe. Then noticed the piece of wood covering said hole was askew.
So I rip out enough boards to get my head & shoulders through.
I spy this little knucklehead about 7" away. An hour later or so could not see him at all.
So we fashioned a harness for his sister & dropped her down.
And waited. and waited. And waited some more.
No point in cutting a hole in the floor it would have freaked him out & driven him Lord knows where.
After a good 3 hrs he got close enough to his sister so I could grab him.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 07:41:43 AM »

Why have you been without your main pen?, What happened?  Nancy you are already limited on space for you, and your goats now, right?  How in the world do you maneuver through all that, without getting hurt?  We just need to make a road trip and help you get that set up prim and proper, so you don't get hurt out there.  Wink Grin

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »

ha! The short story is that pen was a good 14 yrs old & needed to be replaced. The canopy that this butted up against a 3 sided shelter was eventually shredded.
Bob's back & sciatica prevent him from doing what needed to be done. We could have moved them up there but there wouldn't have been cover for hay rack, an absolute essential in the Pac NW.
Hopefully we can put them in there this afternoon.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 05:29:31 AM »

Is it possible to use it as a day time grazing area?  Or even a feeding time (grain that is) area?

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 01:33:31 PM »

We have been without the main pen for a good 6 mos. Our sweet neighbor came over today to put up the car canopy where new fencing has been put up. 4 does  & their kids have been cooped up in the kidding pens since Christmas.  Angry
Normally they get put out with the rest at 3 days old.
Blondie & her girls had to go to a makeshift aisle between a sheet of plywood & the entrance to the chickens where I have to move about 15 barriers, half the time stepping over her or her kids. In the meantime she leaves to go help herself to the stacks of alfalfa.
Probably forgot to mention the lost kid fiasco. Ready?
There was a 4" hole with a 2' drop. Could not find one of the twins who belonged to another doe. Then noticed the piece of wood covering said hole was askew.
So I rip out enough boards to get my head & shoulders through.
I spy this little knucklehead about 7" away. An hour later or so could not see him at all.
So we fashioned a harness for his sister & dropped her down.
And waited. and waited. And waited some more.
No point in cutting a hole in the floor it would have freaked him out & driven him Lord knows where.
After a good 3 hrs he got close enough to his sister so I could grab him.

We had a lost one last year.  Came home from church and did a head count and one was missing.    We searched the hay fields but it was so tall and looked everywhere with no luck.  I went into the cow stall and saw a white form on the floor and thought he had been smashed!  ran over to him and touched him.  He jumped--I jumped and all was well.  He has squeezed through a little tiny opening in the barn wall separating the cow stall from the goat yard.  I fixed that pronto!

I guess he just wanted a quiet place all to himself to snooze, but I lost several years off my life on that one.

Somehow had a piglet get under the floor grating in our hog barn.  I was going through the pens and there was a pig under it.  The barn is 125 feet long and if he kept crawling he would eventually fall into the pit at the end or the flush system would send a tidal wave of water and wash him away.  My husband was there thankfully and we were able to keep him close while we pulled the floor panel up.  It was not easy and the poor thing was filthy.  Found a pen several feet up where the floor panel was a little bit away from the wall.  When they all pile together to sleep he must have been on the bottom and they just popped him through.

I found that really traumatizing too.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 08:40:19 PM »

Oh how scary Julie!
Little critters can fir through just about any spacing imaginable can't they!?
4" wide floor boards.  2 " gate spacing. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: