HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:00:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Stork Talk (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Well 1 down....
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Well 1 down....  (Read 435 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: March 13, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »

A doe that was not supposed to kid until Saturday decided today was the day. Woke up to 2 wet, shivering kids  (1d/1b)with birth fluids frozen to their legs and tail. Got them dried off as best I could and tried to get them to take a bottle. No go, but I did get some down their throat. They can't find the teat and if I get it in their mouths they spit it out. The buck just really doesn't seem to get it, the doe tries but moms teats hang down low and the kids try to find it up high. At least it's a bit warmer today (22 right now) and sunny.

The one that was due yesterday is now in the kids creep feeder, the one that kidded is in the kidding stall and her sister, who I have been stressing about, looks like she may try to pop them out today also, so I heavily bedded down the doe pen for her in case she does before I get home from work tonight.

The past few days have been bad, nothing going right. My pellet stove got fixed and then stopped working 2 days later, just before this frigid cold. I swear I will never be warm again. I've fallen on the ice a couple of times, once again this morning. My sink drain froze, so my sink has water stuck in it. My drain that is 3 feet from the wood stove. sigh. Arthur and his ice pick are back stabbing me in my knees, hips, fingers and ankle. I need way more time before this horrible Nor'Easter hits us tomorrow to get hay, firewood and straw/shavings in and get to the feed store. At least I have tomorrow off from work for a webinar I wanted to see, so I can try to get a lot of that done before the storm starts in the morning.

AND I'M OUT OF COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CaffineFix StormClouds Scared Shocked

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »

HUGS to you   Bug Hug  I think you need way more than that, but it is the best I can do being so far away.   I do hope your kids do alright and that you get your firewood, hay, shavings , feed and COFFEE.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 03:13:52 PM »

My morning was so hectic and frantic that I didn't get my coffee until an hour ago when I got to work.

The kids were napping when I left. It looks like Sassy and Tedi are going to be racing to see who kids next. I swear Ted has a dozen kids packed inside waiting to come out! lol

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:10:49 PM »

Oh, boy...we can hardly wait to hear how all this works out.  However, being out of coffee is just plain cruel and unusual!  Absolutely not fair!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 04:59:46 AM »

oh goodness...what a dilemma you're in.  Falling, Arthur showing up, cold, no heat, frozen drains, all way too much to happen right now, but to be without coffee...on top of all that..."Give me death or...."  A prayer for a blessing is one the way.

Congrats on the new babies.  Keep us updated on how they are doing.  I do hope this weather gets better very quickly.  Just doesn't seem like winter is ever going to end.

Get all the baby hugging you can, it helps with the "happy mood".  Hope you're feeling better soon.

~ Birdie ~
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 01:41:32 AM »

How's it going?  Are you close enough to the shore to have avoided the worst of the storm, or are you just inland enough to have gotten hammered?  Here's hoping you and all your girls are OK, and that things get easier for you.

Hoping for the best for you.

dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 02:17:53 AM »

We got hammered, nice heavy snow with a thin layer of ice on top. The temp was in the upper 20's to low 30's so it wasn't horribly cold. The wind gusts of up to 50 mph were cold, but it wasn't really all that bad. It was in the low 30's today and will be in the upper 20's to mid 30's for the next week or so (during the day). At that temp my house isn't freezing, it's when it gets below 25 that I can't get the house warm and it is usually about 10 degrees warmer than it is outside. The pellet stove worked for 1 day then quit again, so I only have the smallish wood stove to heat this huge, drafty house. Arthur is still here, I doubt he is going to leave any time soon! At least the snow has covered the ice so I am not slipping and falling! I'm not sure what is hurting more now, the arthritis or the torn meniscus/sprained MCL.

My drain thawed out. Phew! Filling water buckets by using a small pan and transferring it to big buckets took FOREVER!  Roll Eyes I only have water in the kitchen sink as the pipes going up to the bathroom burst last year and didn't get replaced this summer.

Does # 1 and 2 (Vic and Ted) are doing well. Their kids are healthy and eating like piggies. I am still worried about Ted, she looks like death warmed over. Her #3 son came out hocks first-sideways! I had to get the feet out and twist the kids around to get it in a good position to pull. Poor Ted is still a bit weak in the rear from that. She had been trying to push him out while I was tending to the Nubian that kidded last, I think she damaged nerves while trying to push the kid out.

Sassy will not let her kids eat. She got them all cleaned up but kicks them away or moves away herself when they go to nurse. Because it is cold, I have just started bottle feeding the boys and let them stay with her. This afternoon I went to the barn for chores and found her brown son flat out. I thought he was dead. Nope, he was cold. It looked like she had laid on him, too. I brought him inside and put him in an "incubator" for 3 hours to warm him up after giving him some warm coffee and maple syrup. Once warm he guzzled down 10 ounces of colostrum! He is back in the barn with mom and his black brother. Both are doing well on the bottle.

I'll get pictures soon.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 04:15:02 AM »

Wow...you have the most time when it comes to kidding and winter weather.  I don't know how you do it all, the way you do it.  I'm happy to hear most the kids are doing well though.  I hope that one little guy continues to do well.  Teddi, will take time to regain her abilities...Satan did that, and so did Moosie...it's hard on them to birth that way.  Is Teddi producing a lot of milk for her kids?

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 05:30:34 PM »

Oh Dragon sounds like life is brutal again. Cry
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 09:05:20 PM »

Nancy, it seems to be par for the course for me. Things go good for a while and then tank. The days will start getting warmer soon, so it will not be so bad.

The little buckling is doing great. Since mom will not feed them, I just took the kids and are bottle feeding them. I needed the maternity stall for another doe who (SURPRISE!) kidded today, 1 week early. Darn Lamanchas, always kidding early. The Manchas go early, the Nubians go late and the erect ears seem to go on time.

So, it takes 150 days to develop an erect eared kid. It takes 152+ days to develop a pendulous eared kid and 140 -145 days to develop an earless kid. Never realized ears took so long to develop!  laugh laugh tongue tongue Grin Grin Wink Wink ;

Anyway Ban Sidhe surprised me today with twin bucklings. (yup, that 8 bucks and 1 doe so far) I went in the "maternity stall" (aka creep feeder) to bottle the Nubian bucklings. I had just started feeding Lefty when I heard Banny bellow. I looked up as she dropped kid #1, a pretty bay, on the ground. Yup, she kidded standing up. I couldn't stop what I was doing, so I just watched to make sure all was well. She got #1 clean and standing before Lefty finished his share of the bottle. As I started feeding Pancho, I heard a blat and a plop, #2 hit the ground. #1 was already clean and standing! Before both bucklings were done with their bottles, Ban had both her boys clean and walking around! I've never seen anything go so fast! It took her about 10 minutes total to birth, clean and get her boys to their feet and walking. Ban is a full Mancha but I bred her to a Nigerian buck because my Mancha buck is her sire. Her boys are F1 Mini Manchas. Banny is a very correct doe with a topline and udder to die for. The Nigerian comes from champion does with production breeding on both sides, again, long, wide and level with large, nicely attached udders! Even at birth these boys look like sire material, if only someone was in the market for very nice F1 bucks. They are not flashy colored, one is bay and the other is a dark gold, but they are nice and wide, level and balanced!

Tedi is a high production doe. She and her sister pound out the milk. I am milking her once a day to keep her udder even and the teats from becoming so engorged that the kids can't latch on. Her appetite is good, so I guess she is ok, I just hate the way she looks. Her sister, Vicki, I have to milk twice a day to keep her from becoming engorged, making it hard for the little ones to latch on.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:13:05 PM by dragonlair » Logged

nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »

Oh wow. that's news about gestation & ears.
And does standing to deliver? I've only seen it twice in FFs who never did it again. It was way cool.
Congrats on your new babies!
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 10:16:55 PM »

Deb, I think you are the toughest, most determined lady I can think of.  You just never give up and keep on keeping on even under the most adverse situations.  I don't know how you manage to do all that you do and stay so cheerful. 

I hope everyone continues to do well in that horrible cold.  Congratulations on the new kids!

Elizabeth
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 05:33:21 AM »

I like your analogy of gestation and ears....that's one we should hang onto for future referencing...  Grin Grin Grin

Yes, spring should be here soon...and hopefully it gives you some really nice warm weather.

Congratulations on the newest arrivals...it's a buckling year for you for sure.  But, overall, those baby boys are so super sweet natured.  I'd love to have me some bottle babies. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 01:34:20 PM »

And does standing to deliver? I've only seen it twice in FFs who never did it again. It was way cool.
Congrats on your new babies!

I had a Nubian stand and deliver once and it was like her 3rd kidding.  It was super cold out so maybe she didn't want to lay on the cold straw??   Thankfully I was there and caught all 3 when they shot out of her ( and I mean  SHOT OUT).

Congrats on the healthy kids!!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »

Sunny and in the 30's today!!!!!!!! woohoo! I let the 2 Nubian bucks out of their dog crate to roam until I went to work. They curled up and napped in the sun. I am moving Ted and Vic and their kids back to the doe pen tomorrow, I need to clean out the maternity pen for Pebbles, who is due any day now. I think Ban Sidhe and her boys can go out with the herd, too. Those mini kids are so precocious, they are miles ahead of standard sized kids.

I'm just stubborn and too stupid to stop! lol

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: