HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:54:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Stork Talk (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Well 1 down....
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Well 1 down....  (Read 460 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 06:19:28 AM »

At least all are doing well Deb, and that's a big accomplishment with the weather you've been having.  Happy to hear that.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »

I booted the 2 mothers and 5 kids out of the maternity pen and back in with the herd. I let Banny and her twins out with the herd also. I moved the Nubian (Pebbles) into the maternity pen since she is due tomorrow. Hopefully this is it until the beginning of April.

Those kids where bouncing all over the place! I could have stayed there and watched them for hours.

The 2 bottle boys are loose in the barn until I get home and get them ready for "bed". No matter how many times I clean the crate, they soak it and get soaked. Those puppy training pads say they dry immediately but they lie! lol

The weather is supposed to be in the 40's until Weds and Thursday when it tanks into the low 20's, then back up to the 40's on Friday. Weds and Thursday are my 2 days off!  Roll Eyes

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 05:24:02 AM »

Shane and I were just looking at the weather in Boston last night.  He flies there this morning for a few days.  We commented on the fact that we are 60+ degrees warmer than you all are up there.  Isn't that odd how we can be in the same nation and be so different in temp's?  That blows my mind some times.

I think it's the babies antics that makes us fall in love with goats.  They can be so entertaining.

~ Birdie ~
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:30:34 AM »

Hey dragon, we have a couple of families at our fair that are going for the mini manchas. I was wondering how that works. I know the first kids are having to show as experimental but then where does it go from there? If I remember correctly if those first kids are bred to a mini mancha buck are they then able to show as a breed with those offspring? We only had one there last year and I'm telling you that little doe stole my heart. Her momma had to stay home recovering from an illness (can't remember what) and she was just the sweetest most out going little thing! I've never been a big fan of La Manchas but maybe I've just never known the right ones.  Smiley  This year one family who has a georgeous La Mancha doe that they can't show because she has horns bred her to a Nigerian buck so I'm hoping for more minis to love on this year. Just wanting to get my rules straight in case anyone asks.

Central Ohio
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 10:14:46 AM »

"Loose in the barn." Ugh.
All the kidding pens were full & somebody decided she was ready so I put her loose. It's not fun dodging babies & mom to do chores and bringing in hay is a zoo cause her two always try to curl up next to the last bale.
When bringing in water buckets that mama has to sample them even if hers is full.
And for the first time another mama had a doe with underdeveloped eyes! Brought poor thing to vet at a week old thinking it was inverted eyelashes.
Vet assured me there was nothing I did wrong as far as waiting too long, it was an inutero thing.
She is about the sweetest natured girl ever. Eats well & sniffs my boots but will never have any sight.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »

What will you do with her Nancy??

That has to be the worst part during kidding--when you run out of room !!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 03:50:58 PM »

Mini Manchas- I'm new to this also, so I will explain the best I can.

The first generation (F1) is a cross between a standard dairy doe and a Nigerian buck. The buck needs to be registered with ADGA, AGS or NDGA, the does need to be registered with ADGA, AGS or they can be grade or recorded but then the kids would be grade also and need to breed up.

After that generation, you are supposed to breed to other "F's" or full registered Minis of the same breed.

I think if you breed an F1 to an F1 you get an F2. After a certain amount of time you get a "purebred" mini (insert breed here). Each F generation needs to meet breed standards after the F1.

I wasn't going to really worry about the logistics of the generations because I was going to sell all the kids. That went south when I kept twin F1 Nubian does last year. I don't have anything to breed them to right now, but I will search for a "purebred" Mini Nubian buck for this fall. I hope!

So, I got home last night and Ms Pebbles had decided to kid. At first (because there are no lights in the kidding pen) I thought she had twins. When I returned with my headlamp, I discovered triplets! The "missing" one was a teeny, tiny buckling who was very weak. I got him hooked up to a teat and he drank a bit. I made sure the other 2 (a buck and a doe) had been eating before I started chores.

I checked on the trips before I went to the house for the night. Little guy was out flat and chilled to the bone. I grabbed him up and brought him to the house. I have an incubator of sorts I use for chilled kids. Its a dog biscuit box (Tractor Supply large biscuit 15 pound box) that I put straw in the bottom. I have a large heavy tee shirt I have a 1 liter soda bottle filled with hot water that I roll in the short and leave a "flap" to cover the kid. I place the kid in the box with the bottle against his/her belly and cover with the tee shirt flap. I close the lid flaps, leaving an opening maybe 5" x 2" for ventilation. I leave them for as long as it takes. In this case, he was in it all night long. He woke me up around 0700. He was warm and stronger, so I brought him down to mom, "hooked him up" and watched him guzzle! He was doing pretty well when I left for work.

12 kids from 5 does= 10 bucklings and 2 doelings. 7 more to go. I have a break until the 1st week of April, due dates of 04-08/09 for 4 of them. I doubt a couple of them will tale that long! Lol

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 05:49:35 AM »

Wow...that's lots of bucklings....bet they are cute as all get out though.  Nice save on the baby boy...hopefully he continues to do well.  Congrats on the newest arrivals.

Nancy, I'm sorry to hear about the blind baby...but if you keep her, and leave her with her momma or a sister, she'll learn to follow them around...put a bell on the one she's following so she can hear them.

~ Birdie ~
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2017, 08:08:42 AM »

Thank you for the clarification dragon. And congratulations on the triplets.  Smiley

Central Ohio
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »

Good save on the tiny guy.  I have used a cooler with a heating pad with good results.  It always amazes me how fiesta they are once they rebound. I hope he will be o.k. out there with mom.

That is a high % of bucklings.  I wonder if it is going to be a buck year for me too??  I hope not......
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »

I've heard form a lot of people who have had a lot of bucks this year. I'm just as happy I guess. Bucks are easy to get rid of. I call a dealer and he comes and pays by the pound. With the does I always want to keep at least 1. I have no more room, but of course I will want to keep a daughter from my Nubian to see how his daughters grow and produce. Ugh.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: