HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2017, 09:07:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19590 Posts in 1396 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Stork Talk (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Last 2 does kidded!!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Last 2 does kidded!!  (Read 214 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: May 18, 2017, 11:29:56 AM »

Here are my last arrivals.  3 1/2 weeks later than I would have liked but all are healthy   Smiley

Thumbelina & Theo-- their mom has been unthrifty the whole pregnancy. I just copper bolused her and 2 doses of Cydectin after kidding. She has a good appetite so hopefully she will rebound. Babies are small but eating well.  EXCUSE THE MESSY BOTTOMS  washing off colostrum butt is near impossible Embarrassed

T.C.

A single out of the herd boss.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:17:51 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 04:17:26 AM »

Awww...they might be tiny, but they are sure adorable.  They will grow out of that tiny stage and be just as nice as the others.  How's momma doing?  I truly found a little cooked oatmeal laced with a little molasses and topped with just a few raisins helps a bunch.  You can give a 1/2 to a full cup twice daily.  When I'd have a weak or sickly goat, that's the first thing I turned to.  I don't know what all it is about it, but it's really helped every goat I've ever given it to.

We used it on all our newly birthed momma's.  Oh gosh, I remember my last year breeding...oh dear me...we had 36 Does kidded...feeding 1 cup of cooked oatmeal, twice daily....yep the grocery stores thought I was nuts!!! And I did that for a full week after they kidded.  Roll Eyes laugh  It just made all the difference in the world with the way they held their body condition, and the kids benefited from the nutrients that went into momma's milk.  It's worth the work I suppose. hahaha.  Grin

That's a flashy herd boss baby...that one has elegance my friend.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 01:23:24 PM »

I tried the oatmeal and she won't eat it  Angry

She is eating her normal food good and I let her out for a few hours this morning with the herd to graze .  The babies didn't want to go out that far,  so after a while i put them back in their pen in the barn.

Herd boss and baby tried to go out, but he is so young he wanted to do his own thing.  I put him back in the barn with the other 2 and she was much happier.  I didn't know until I took the picture that he has spots on his neck, above his eye and on his ear  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:25:48 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »

Did she drink the weak molasses water?  Some goats won't eat the cooked oatmeal, and that's ok...she'll build back her energy eventually.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 12:58:37 PM »

Did she drink the weak molasses water?  Some goats won't eat the cooked oatmeal, and that's ok...she'll build back her energy eventually.

No to the molasses water  Grin  I TOLD her that other peoples goats love this stuff, but nobody is listening to me.   She is looking ok and actually better than she did before kidding because she is finally shedding now. Her weight is holding steady and she is out in the pasture all day now and then I put her and kids back in their own pen overnight so she can eat at leisure.  Kids are a week old on the 22nd.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 05:26:16 AM »

Well now...she prefers steak, instead of hamburger...a Doe with my own tastes... lol  Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 03:57:40 PM »

OMG....those faces! Such kissable little faces!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: