HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2017, 05:29:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihandwcm

Stats
19273 Posts in 1376 Topics by 718 Members
Latest Member: Mwtink
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Tate
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Tate  (Read 88 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: May 18, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »

When I realized Tate would kid  right before she turned one, I was devastated.  Not only can they be clueless as a mother (sometimes) the toll it takes on their body can make them stunted and small.   She had 2 bucklings that were small but healthy

and after her initial wariness of the strange, small , wet , crying things she eventually started cleaning them off.  The first day I had to bottle them with frozen cow colostrum because even though she had an ample udder,  nothing but a drop came out

when I tried milking her teats  and the kids were crying continually . My first though was  "oh no, bottle kids".  I fed them, left them with her to keep trying and when I went out with the 9pm bottle both kids were full and happy( from mom)   Grin  I am so proud of her as she is an excellent mom and is holding her weight well ( i am feeding the heck out of her!!)

TATE

CHESTER  ( i couldn't find Matt)  
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:15:30 PM by Julie H » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 04:51:38 PM »

Wow Chester is a regular tank. Congrats. show us Matt when you get the chance. Julie, are you a Gunsmoke fan by chance?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 04:06:38 AM »

Tate has done well for herself with that little one.  Both look nice Julie.  A little TLC goes such a long way with these guys. 

You might want to consider not feeding a giant amount of food, but instead, a regular balanced diet and add a heftier amount of calcium to her diet.  I did a lot of research when one of my prize Does was oops bred.  The one and only Doeling on our farm that I figured deserved to be in a show ring...she was a dandy for sure.  Her registered name was Tim's Rain Drop, and we called her Rainy for short.  She had the blood line to become something truly awesome.  When she got bred way too young, I was devastated.  I just knew her growth would be stunted and she would look like crap.  Well I researched several websites and found one that said a Doe bred too young can become stunted, but to combat the growth cycle retardation, it said to give high calcium.  So I did...I gave her 600mg more calcium once a day while pregnant, and then upped it big time after she kidded to 1200mg (600mg 2x's daily).  She did great.  She even outgrew her momma.  She only kidded a single kid but wow let me tell you what, he was some kind of awesome...though he was sent to slaughter (inbred thing ya know), I had tons of offers to purchase him as a breeding buck, which I refused to do.

But just a thought that maybe you might try if it ever (and God forbid it does), happens again.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »

Wow Chester is a regular tank. Congrats. show us Matt when you get the chance. Julie, are you a Gunsmoke fan by chance?

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Why nancy, How did you know???  We watched a few episodes last night!

Matt is even bigger than Chester and I will try to get him.

Birdie-- I do have calcium I can feed.  I will add a bit to her grain.  She gets 2 cups morning and evening and in the mix is alfalfa pellets which have calcium too , i think??
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: