HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:18:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  A horrible experience
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: A horrible experience  (Read 177 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: May 22, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »

Yesterday after church I let Leah and her twin week old babies out in the grazing/ browsing pasture.  It has several brush piles that we were not able to burn this winter since we had no snow stay on the ground.  I poked my head out the door regularly and had the windows open to hear any crying ( pasture is right next to the house)  All was tranquil.

At 3 I called all the goats in to feed, counted my kids and of course was 2 short ( Leah's).  My daughter had come out with me just for this reason.  We scoured the pasture, looked in the brush piles and in every nook and cranny that I/ we could find.    
NOTHING.  

My son came by asking what we were doing and quickly joined the search.  NOTHING.  

By 5 pm I am getting really worried, thinking that they might have gotten out of the pasture somehow.  It is bordered on 3 sides by 1. woods,2.  uncut hay fields, 3. the horse pasture (which is very tall and thick too).
We continue searching all these areas, hoping to hear a cry.  NOTHING.

By 7 I am in tears knowing that something has eaten them.  I was baffled that both were gone but they should have been up and crying for mom.  It is getting cold.  I went up to the goats , sat on a bucket and cried, knowing I had killed my babies.
I should have left them inside the barn a little longer....   I pray asking God to bring my babies back, knowing and trusting He has reasons for everything and all works for our good , but still wanting my babies.

Mom Leah was calling and getting no answer.   I went to bed at 9 knowing they were gone for good and hoping and praying the end was quick.

Up at 5:30 for my normal walk and all is quiet.  Do chores, let all the animals out on the horse pasture,  work at the hog barns, get some stuff done inside.
At 11:30 I hear babies crying and a mom answering.  Over and over and over.  I run out and up the hill and there are my BABIES!!!!

I climb the fence, scoop them up shower them with kisses  Roll Eyes  and deposit them over the fence to a very happy & full mother!  They were gone for 21+ hours. A bit thin but fine.  The little stinkers!

Theo

Thumbelina & Theo

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:34:02 PM by Julie H » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 06:31:28 PM »

Oh what a glorious ending! But they should be arrested for emotional abuse of their human.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 07:34:50 PM »

Isn't that the truth!  They are sucking their poor mother dry trying to make up for the meals they missed!
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »

Grin The knuckleheads should be fine out with their dam.
This year I had a oh two or three day old fall through the barn floor. I ripped out boards but he was too far away to reach. awhile later he moved to where I could not see him. Mama didn't seem to miss him. Then we made a makeshift harness out of baling twine & lowered his sister down as bait. A good 3 hrs passed before he got close enough to grab.  laugh

Finally came up with a name for him. it's Room To Move.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 06:06:56 AM »

Omg....how awful for you.  Where were they?  Did they get out of the goat pasture?  I can imagine how heart broken you were.  I know exactly how I would be if this were me, so I feel your emotions.

I'm so happy this had a good ending, and they are back with momma and you.  They are just precious babies. 

~ Birdie ~
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 01:36:13 PM »

Happy to read that no one ate them.  kiss
Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 01:54:01 PM »

Grin The knuckleheads should be fine out with their dam.
This year I had a oh two or three day old fall through the barn floor. I ripped out boards but he was too far away to reach. awhile later he moved to where I could not see him. Mama didn't seem to miss him. Then we made a makeshift harness out of baling twine & lowered his sister down as bait. A good 3 hrs passed before he got close enough to grab.  laugh

Finally came up with a name for him. it's Room To Move.

Grin Grin Grin

I think it was easier raising human babies...

Birdie--  I think they were in a small brush pile near the front of the pasture.  I got on my hands and knees several times in my search at the very spot and didn't see anything.  That is where they were standing when the calling started, so I assume that is where they were.  They never got out of the pasture  Smiley

Rocky--  The thought of something big enough to grab both my kids living in that pasture was enough to make my blood run cold.   My husband was really doubtful of that and with our 2 dogs who kill anything from possums, groundhogs, squirrels, foxes, cats etc , so not much wildlife happening here so close to the house.  I have no idea why they were silent so long???
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:01:13 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »

And those babies can be very very silent when hiding.  I would have though the same thing you did, "what the heck got both babies?"  I would have figured an Arial predator over a ground predator.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »

I thought about that too.  We do have bald eagles here and large hawks.  So far they have been little angels while out to pasture  Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 05:33:19 AM »

They put a real fear of God in themselves...they don't want to do that again.  laugh

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »

You are so right.  If mom gets 10 feet away they start screaming their fool heads off  Grin
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »

You are so right.  If mom gets 10 feet away they start screaming their fool heads off  Grin

Sounds like they learned their lesson!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 11:49:57 AM »

For the moment, they will forget soon enough! Glad you got them back, silly babies.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 01:03:34 PM »

They are still clinging to mom  Grin  She is a lot more attentive to where they are. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: