HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:02:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19694 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Skin issue
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Skin issue  (Read 168 times)
Pat
Caprine Guru

« on: May 24, 2017, 10:06:21 PM »

Our maiden 4-year old Oberhasli doeling  has bare, dry patches on both of her foreshoulders...about 2 inches in diameter...dry, crusty (not oozing or pink/infected/irritated looking skjn) -- just very dry looking and with dandruff or other flaky material close to the skin.  Hair comes out easily when we rub it.  She has had dandruff - like material close to skin ever since she started shedding early this spring. I don't see mites or other obvious parasites.  It doesn't appear to be tender when I mess with it, but the hair in the area and surrounding it comes out easily.   No sign of this irritation/condition during the winter.  Any idea what this might be or what to do about this?

All thoughts, ideas and/or suggestions appreciated

Thanks all

Pat
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 05:31:51 AM »

Sorry to hear you're having these issues. 

My thoughts on this are, she could very well have lice/mites...some times we can't see those little buggers.  I'm guessing it's mites, as those nasty things cause them to loose hair very quickly and when they itch it, it becomes infected and extremely sore.  It's an easy kill if it's lice or mites.  A dose of Ivomec will kill those things.  Repeat in 10 days to make sure all the nits are dead as well.  If it is mites, you'll have to watch the lower eyelids, make sure they stay pretty pink colored.  Mites/Lice can cause anemia.

My next thought is ring worm...again this is contagious to you as well as the goat, so when doctoring this, you'll need to wear rubber gloves.  We can bathe her in iodine soap (you can get that from your vet), and after her bath, then we can use Neosporin on the area to help heal it.  This will spread all over her body and do so quickly indeed.

At this point, if she is itching it could be one of either that I spoke of.  Ringworm is much harder to kill than the lice/mites.  There is a condition in horses that's called "Rain Rot"...I don't know if this can happen to goats or not...mine never had it, but I rescued a horse colt that did have it.  It causes the hair to fall out and after awhile the areas that are bared, turn very sore and look awful.  This is a condition brought on from living in unhealthy conditions...I truly do not think this is what is wrong with your goat...just a thought to pass along, that if our spring cleaning isn't done yet, she could be laying in some old hay area that's been urinated and defecated on causing a skin irritation.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:55:14 AM »

Do you have fencing she could be putting her head thru to reach grass on the other side? Several of my goats have patches like that fron sticking their noses or heads thru an area in the fencing with grass/weeds on the other side or the chain link hay feeder, where they put their nose thru to get to the hay.

Other than that- like Birdie suggested- mites or lice. With ringworm, there is usually tell tale signs on the skin/roundish patches where the hair is not growing.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 01:21:38 PM »

Is it itchy?  I would do the Ivermectin too.  I have had several does over the years have mite/ lice and they too have had patches of hair missing and the skin underneath is kind of dandruffy- looking.  I do know that when the mites/ lice are bothering their legs it is kind of oozing with irritation.  I get the cheap 1.87% horse tube dewormer and give them a good dose and then again in 10 days (  like birdie said)  works every time  Smiley
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 01:41:28 PM »

We'll try the Ivomec -- but do I use it as a pour-on, or dose orally? If orally, at what dose (cc/lb, or whatever)

Thanks
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 06:29:38 AM »

If you use the Ivermectin horse paste wormer, then you'll dose it according to their body weight, and the weight on the tube.  If you're dosing the Ivomec injectable, you'll give it orally, dosing 1cc per 50lbs of body weight.  I don't use the pour on products, so I can't help you there.

~ Birdie ~
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 10:41:57 AM »

I too would like to know if goats can get rain rot.  And I too am deathly afraid of pour ons.  I know personally of friends whose goats died from this practice.   
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »

The horse paste is dosed at a higher level than it is for the horses. Horses have a much slower metabolism than a goat. If I use the horse paste, I double the equine dose for the goats.

If it is just dry skin you can add rice bran meal, BOSS or any kind of household cooking oil to the feed. That should help.

How about biting insects (midges, black flies, skeeters etc) that may be targeting her in those places? I'm having a horrid time right now with those little boogers and the darker ones seem to be especially bothered by them. They rub against the fencing, barn, whatever and it's the shoulder and hip area that gets rubbed the most because it sticks out more.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »

I double the horse paste too.   I would recommend feeding BOSS .  I started that in January and my dark colored goats look like someone oiled their coats.  I have never had a shine like that.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: