HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:44:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  They're leaving
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: They're leaving  (Read 173 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: May 31, 2017, 11:56:25 AM »

So, I had 4 bottle kids that all went to new homes. YES!

That still leaves me with way too many kids.

Well, today the 2 Mini Oberhasli does left to the same home, a very good home. I was going to keep them but decided I probably shouldn't when this woman called and said she really wanted them.

This morning I got a call form a man who lives down on the coast. He was looking for a breeding quality Nubian buckling and liked the looks of mine. We talked and he said he was on his way! Sure enough, the largest, bullying triplet left a little while ago. Hopefully his 2 skinny, undergrown siblings can get to the milk bar now.

7 down, not sure how many left.

However, the last kids to be born, twin Nubian bucks, have been spoken for and will leave the end of June. Two of the Lamancha doelings are spoken for and will leave within the next couple of weeks! Woohoo!

That leaves 1 Nubian doeling to go. I am retaining a mini Nubian doeling, so that is all for the girls.

I am keeping one of the Nubian bucklings to breed 2 or 3 of my girls and then selling him this fall.

2 boys (or maybe 3, not sure) are being raised for freezer camp. The rest will be sold to a dealer this fall.

I think I finally have my stuff together. Knock on wood.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:47:18 AM by dragonlair » Logged

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 01:05:40 PM »

Where do you advertise?   I love it when they start leaving Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 05:57:23 AM »

Awesome!!!  Deb your little farm is growing by leaps and bounds.  This is the year of the goat...folks are eating more and more goat meat...some restaurants here, actually have it on the menu's.  I think we'll all soon see the up kick in goat demand.  More and more folks are raising goats, and with the consumption of goat meat rising...this is all a very good thing. Smiley  Congrats on the good year.  You sure deserve it.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »

I have 4 spoken for now, as soon as they are old enough to leave. Woohoo!

Right now I am ready to kill several of them. They jump up into the grain feeder with their dirty nasty little feet and ruin the grain so no one will eat it. That causes about 5 pounds of waste a day. I can't wait for them all to go!!!!!!!! Angry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 07:24:12 AM »

Antic's of them little babies...sometimes so cute, sometimes not so cute...but over all, they are just being babies.  It won't last long Deb.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 03:53:03 PM »

A woman who has spoken for twin Nubian bucklings has more or less spoken for the last unsold doeling! They just want pets, so 3 of them will be going together to a nice pet home.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 05:07:30 AM »

Oh now, that's a dream come true...you couldn't ask for better than that.  That's awesome.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »

2 doelings left today! One of the little darlings was the jumper who would foul the feed with her 4 nasty little feet!

1 buckling is sort of spoken for. It's a mini Mancha who got dads Nigerian ears instead of moms no ears. The woman loves Manchas but hates the ears, so this little guy is what she is looing for! lol. It also helps that he is loudly moonspotted and has blue eyes. The woman said she will be in my area this week coming and if I still have him, she will buy him!

The 2 bucklings and the one Nubian doeling will leave the end of the month.

That leaves me 1 doeling left to sell, plus a bunch of bucklings who will go to freezer camp for the house and a few more going to a dealer.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 05:21:43 AM »

Sounds like this is a good year for you.  That's great. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 10:24:04 AM »

If I had had all doelings, i could have sold them all this year. Last year was horrible for sales because we had 3 years of bad hay crop so no one was buying. It looks like this year will be good.

Another trend is color. No matter how horrible the goats body type, legs, feet, health, udder etc is, if they are wildly colored, they sell.  Now, I love me those dapples and moonspots, especially with blue eyes thrown in. (unless they are on standard dairy goats and blue eyes are a DQ or color on a breed with strict color requirements like Oberhasli) However, I go for correct body type, production and health first. i would rather have a dull colored doe with awesome type and production, maybe worm resistant also, than the wildest colored doe around.

I've got twin bucklings, mini Manchas. Their Nigerian sire comes from top quality breeding, show and production breeding all the way. The females have udders that are so well attached they are almost bionic, with easy to milk teats. Their dam has the same quality udder/teats and pounds out the milk on very little grain. She is pretty worm resistant (my Mancha buck is and most of his offspring inherit it). Long, wide and level body. Both these kids parents have a huge, well sprung set of ribs and an amazing rumen capacity. The boys have inherited all the good traits from both parents and i have them priced to sell.

No bites at all. No flashy color. The darker one has moonspots, but you can't really see them because of his coloring, they blend right in with the coat color. The other one is gold and white, no flash at all. They will be more than ready to breed this fall (nasty little over sexed mini's!). They are ready to go to a new home, have been for some time now. I can give them maybe another week or two before I have to call a dealer to come buy them as they are trying to breed all the does.

It's just so frustrating to see how this color craze is causing so many poor quality goats to be flooding the population up here.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 04:49:42 AM »

It's been that way for years Deb...Color sells...flat straight out, color sells.  I too looked for those bodies, and milking ability, but I also bred to get those colors and the blue eyes.  Of course getting that with strong genetic lines of white, and of course the typical markings of the Boers...then to get the blue eyes from a 100% NZ, those only come once in a million (thank God I had Oberon)....my task was long and very hard. 

Now days, folks are looking for color as the goats are selling more for back yard pets than they are for show rings.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 01:34:19 PM »

I am a sucker for color myself  Roll Eyes  but will not sacrifice correct conformation just because of it.  I am keeping my 2 spotted does and thankfully they are turning out very well.

I haven't even thought about marketing my boys yet, but I need to as they would be sellable in 4 weeks.  The market here for bucks has been slow, as they are abundant..  I have just been taking them to the auction about 1 1/2 hours from here because they get top prices for sheep and goats.  I will be keeping them 6 weeks longer this year to grain and add a bit more size.

In the past 2 years, 1 buyer has bought every doeling I don't keep.  I haven't contacted her yet, but they sell better ( i hope).  I have plenty of hay  and pasture so I am in no hurry to unload the girls.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 06:13:01 AM »

Julie, I did that same thing.  Well sorta any way.  I only bred the amount of Does that if they kidded triplets, I could keep them if need be.  I didn't put myself in a position that I couldn't reject a buyer, or felt the pressure of having to sell due to the lack of room or food.  One year we had a record year of bucklings born.  Not many Doelings that year.  I had 2 bucklings that hadn't sold, so I kept them, grew them out to 8/10 months old...and wow the difference that made.  Didn't take much to grow them out, as far as food....raised them in our bottle calf pasture/lot.  Once they came out of that baby lanky stage...they packed on some kind of muscle now...they were awesome.  Advertised them, and before long two guys came out together, took one look at them, and bought them both for 3x's the money I was asking at 4 months old.  Yep, I made some money doing that.  laugh Wink

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »

I usually keep the boys until fall. They stay on mom and get creep fed grain and grow HUGE! I get really good prices for them. However, those blasted minis. They are ready to breed at 4 weeks of age and drive the girls nuts. I just want them GONE!!!!!!! The mini bucks are the ones messing up the feed with their nasty feet or poop (they jump into the feeders). My standard bucklings can stay til fall, the minis need to go! If they haven't been taken by next weekend, i will be calling a dealer.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: