HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 06:35:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19684 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Dang Rats.
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Dang Rats.  (Read 280 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: June 08, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »

I think coyotes have taken out all but one of my barn kitties over the last several months. Then our neighbor tore down his house & it's almost a plague of rats.
All feed stored in tight galvanized cans but now I bring the chicken hopper into the enclosed back porch every afternoon.
I only feed the ducks enough that they clean it up in a few minutes. Even if I have to feed them 3 times a day.  They have outsmarted 3 different traps so now it's time for the 22.
This am I see what a I thought was a gopher mound. Nope, one of my nemeses casually chowing down on crumbs of duck feed.
Of course by the time I come out with rifle he had gone but I'll get that sucker. He's always in the chicken barn getting fat every day & moves like  slow freight train. I tossed a Styrofoam box on him but he escaped.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 05:16:45 AM »

Eww....I don't care for rats around my barns.  We used those "One Bite Bait Bars" in our barn.  Got them at the feed store.  We were lucky that no cats, or dogs, ate the dead rats/mice.  But with 18 cats outdoors (cats weren't allowed in the barn because they used the hay for their potty spots), we didn't have many rodents or snakes, or much of any thing in the barn.

I hope you get them all.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 06:16:22 PM »

Got a youngster in a trap & Dep got a big one this morning, the one I was gonna shoot I think.
I've debated wether or not to set that type of bait out, don't want them crawling in somewhere & decomposing. Or the dog getting it before it dies.
Barn kitties have never done their business in the hay; all bales are covered.
Anyway no one has been trapped for a few weeks.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 06:27:34 AM »

No you for sure would not want one of the dogs or a cat eating a rat that's been into that "one bite" bait bar...that's extremely toxic.  I would suggest sticky traps but that would also catch dogs, cats, goats, and even you!!! hahaha.  Grin  It's a mess to get off. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 06:37:25 PM »

Have you tried the bucket traps? 5 gallon bucket with 2 holes drilled just below the rim. Put a dowel thru the hole and place a piece of PVC pipe over the dowel and tuck the other end into the other hole put a glob of peanut butter in the middle of the PVC. Fill the bucket half full of water and set it out. Make a ramp of sorts leading to the rim. The rats will go up the ramp and try for the peanut butter, fall in the water and drown. I've many people say those traps work amazingly, no resetting, no poison.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 05:22:17 AM »

I've seen that method...I wondered if it worked or not.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 10:05:16 AM »

A lot of poultry people up here use the bucket trap and swear by it. They show pictures of buckets full of dead rats. Dunno, I've never tried it though I have been tempted. It seems all that rain we had this spring put a huge dent in my rat population, probably drowning them in their tunnels. I am going to try the bucket thing if I notice an increase in rodent activity. I hate to do it and accidentally get my chipmunks or squirrels.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »

Yeah we have a bucket out but only one mouse over the last few months in that.
Yesterday we scored two rats in traps & Bob shot one.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 04:43:53 AM »

Nancy are they after your feed?

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 10:01:29 AM »

Yeah, the chicken feed. Why I remove their hopper every late afternoon & store all feed in enclosed back porch in galvanized cans with tight lids & bungee cords.
I've also seen them in the duck pen.
There are a couple of rat holes near there too, trying to think of something to pour down them. How does a torch soaked in gasoline sound? Light a match.....
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 03:02:07 PM »

A hose on full blast, maybe???????????????

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 05:57:52 AM »

Deb that's what I was thinking...run that hose into those holes..and run it full blast...be ready to kill them when the hole floods and they come running out of it...use something like fish netting, or something they can't escape from, wrap it around their hole and let them get tangled into that netting and do away with them.  I'm also wondering if you take a 5 gallon bucket filled with the hottest water you can get (boiling hot), and add a bottle of dawn dish soap to it , and pour that down a hole...that works great around here to kill every thing...including fire ants who are a terrible nasty pest. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »

I dunno, Pam, do you really want to see Nancy walking around with a 5 gallon pail of boiling water? Roll Eyes

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 05:38:21 AM »

Embarrassed Huh? Oh boy...should have thought of that...  tongue kiss

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »

I dunno, Pam, do you really want to see Nancy walking around with a 5 gallon pail of boiling water? Roll Eyes

Dragon this is why your status is "goat genius".  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: