HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:47:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Dang Rats.
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Dang Rats.  (Read 282 times)
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 09:49:17 PM »

I had no luck with the 'water bucket' however, I found that when I poured Sevin dust  down the holes, I have had not more pests coming in, or getting on my table with feed.   I use 55 gallon, plastic barrels, with a liner inside to prevent mold, and the plastic tops were getting chewed to pieces, until placing the Sevin dust on top.  I now spread on table, and have not seen a pest in a while.  I also spread the Sevin dust inside my 24 ft kennel, around the edges, and on the shelves with plastic buckets, and tops, and no mice seen in a while.
 I would recommend an Airedale for you barn rats.  They are rat killlers.   I stopped using the rat poison, as I would hate to see another dog die from a rat that had eaten the poison.   I had a beautiful, English Bulldog , die from hemorrhage eating a rat.

Hey, the fire ants around here take a bath in Dawn, kerosene, gasoline, etc., or anything I can find. Anyone finding a surefire killer for fireants, will go to heaven--surely!  I was bitten on elbow, and arm first of week, and my elbow to my wrist looked like a copperhead had bitten me.  I must be getting sweeter with age--Yehaw
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 04:50:29 AM »

Fire ants here in Texas are smaller than the ones in Louisiana, and their bite doesn't seem as bad either, but let me tell you what, they flat bite you a good one.  When they bite me, I get blisters from it, but I don't swell up.  I have learned when I do get bitten (which is daily), I hold either an ice rag on the bite area or if it's a lot of bites, I soak that in ice water...kills the sting and the itch.

I have found with fire ants, to kill them instantly, I use the Wasp and Hornet spray.  They are dead quick with that.  If we're not in a hurry to kill them, we use the fire ant bait killer, and within a few days they are dead.  I also found that mineral spirits will kill them, but if it doesn't sink in deep enough they will start a new nest a little ways away from that area.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »

I was told the same thing about using the wasp and hornet spray for the fire ants.  I will try that, and I am going to use a 2 ft piece of rebar, and poke a hole down the middle of mound, and pour some mineral spirits down, and hope for success.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 01:25:11 PM »

Yeah, the chicken feed. Why I remove their hopper every late afternoon & store all feed in enclosed back porch in galvanized cans with tight lids & bungee cords.
I've also seen them in the duck pen.
There are a couple of rat holes near there too, trying to think of something to pour down them. How does a torch soaked in gasoline sound? Light a match.....

Nancy,

In MN my rat infestation was so bad in the chicken house that I went to the decon bait trays.  I saw where they were tunneling in and put the tray there enclosed in a wire cage ( minus bottom) securely anchored to the ground.  I just kept putting a new one out as soon as the old was empty.   I found plenty of dead rats in the hen house and some outside but I picked them up and no animals seemed to bother them.  It didn't take too long and they were all gone and the tray sat without being consumed.  I had some whoppers and boy were they bold.

I am using one bite bars now for mice in my hen house.  Same way.  I did have 2 huge black snakes in there putting a dent in my mice population, but they started eating eggs, so I took a shovel to them  Gonna get it

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 06:17:40 AM »

I was told the same thing about using the wasp and hornet spray for the fire ants.  I will try that, and I am going to use a 2 ft piece of rebar, and poke a hole down the middle of mound, and pour some mineral spirits down, and hope for success.

I did that too Charles...I would stir the nest up before spraying them or pouring the mineral spirits on them.  The mineral spirits was what was left over after cleaning brushes from staining wood...and when I saw it killed them, I was very impressed.  So after that, when each day ended and we cleaned brushes, the used mineral spirits went on Fire Ant nests.

Yeah, the chicken feed. Why I remove their hopper every late afternoon & store all feed in enclosed back porch in galvanized cans with tight lids & bungee cords.
I've also seen them in the duck pen.
There are a couple of rat holes near there too, trying to think of something to pour down them. How does a torch soaked in gasoline sound? Light a match.....

Nancy,

In MN my rat infestation was so bad in the chicken house that I went to the decon bait trays.  I saw where they were tunneling in and put the tray there enclosed in a wire cage ( minus bottom) securely anchored to the ground.  I just kept putting a new one out as soon as the old was empty.   I found plenty of dead rats in the hen house and some outside but I picked them up and no animals seemed to bother them.  It didn't take too long and they were all gone and the tray sat without being consumed.  I had some whoppers and boy were they bold.

I am using one bite bars now for mice in my hen house.  Same way.  I did have 2 huge black snakes in there putting a dent in my mice population, but they started eating eggs, so I took a shovel to them  Gonna get it

Julie I used One Bite Bars...put them under the feed pallets where we stored feed.  We had 18 cats and 6 dogs...none of them ever bothered any thing dead.  I had good luck with it, but I know it's a huge risk.  Got to keep a close watchful eye out for dead ones laying around...they will stink something awful if you don't find them.  tongue

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 10:43:25 AM »

My biggest problem with rats is them getting into the house. I store my feed on my back porch. They have chewed thru the wall to get to the porch. I put the rat bait in the holes in the walls, behind the grain bins, so that no other animal could get to it. I try ot get the dead ones and toss them over the fence into the manure pile, but sometimes i don't see them. Nessa the Pyr find them and lets me know they are there when she ROLLS on them and then runs up to me to be patted!

Or worse, then they die in the ceiling or walls of my house.  tongue Sad

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »

Good to know that dos won't bother a dead rat.  Except for rolling on one, yuck!
We once had a Siberian husky who found fish guts to roll in.  Angry
I suppose I shouldn't be concerned about them crawling into walls of the barn, there's plenty ventilation in there.
Havent seen evidence of any the last few days...picked up a pair of barn kitties & their food hasn't been touched.
I also poured most of a bottle of anniset down a hole.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 04:48:37 PM »

What's anniset?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 05:20:45 PM »

It is anise flavored liquor I had lying around for making biscotti. It dried it out too much.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 01:30:11 PM »

2 days of bait has taken care of all my mice. Now I have to clean out the hen house again as the casualties are everywhere!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: