HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 09:35:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Injured baby goat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Topic: Injured baby goat  (Read 547 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »

Does 2K seem like a lot to you guys for a leg removal? My vet would charge $1,000.  But I guess it all depends on each case and where you live too.  I'll be interested to hear how he gets along once he's recovered.
BTW,  I came across some websites that claim goats can use prosthetics.  I'll have to check those out.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:49:14 AM by ND21st » Logged
Jan
Caprine Guru

Central CA. Boers, Nubian, Alpine

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 01:20:34 PM »

I got my baby and we are headed home!  $380.00.

I don't want to be perfect, I just want to make a difference.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 04:13:10 PM »

WooHoo!  Thank you Lord!!

eta You got good price too!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:09:24 PM by nancy d » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 05:21:50 AM »

My goodness gracious...Bless your Vets heart for reducing the price of amputation.  Please keep us posted on how he's doing.  My biggest concern here is bone infection.  Yes, I've seen tons of video's of Goats with prosthetics...even wheelchair prosthetics...it's actually pretty cool.  I'm praying for you both.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 10:11:37 AM »

Awesome Jan. I am so happy things changed to allow you to get him the surgery. He's young and will adapt easily. Continued prayers and healing energy heading his way!!!!!!!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 01:15:05 PM »

I am so glad your vet made it affordable for you ( bless him)!  I hope your little guy heals well and fast.
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 07:01:42 PM »

Did the amputation occur at the shoulder (or hip) or at the elbow (or knee?)  In either case, he should be fine with the care I have every confidence you will give him...only likely problem will be keeping him quiet while healing occurs, instead of having him bouncing around like a typical kid and knocking scabs off and getting it dirty (cause this baby will likely feel great, and not favor the surgical site at all.)  You may have to just sit on him now and then.

So glad things are going well.  God bless you for caring, and for working so hard to save this little one.  God loves folks like you, and so does everyone else!
Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2017, 11:22:35 AM »

I don't intend on commenting negatively on my regular vet. They are the ones who respond to 'farm calls' and aren't associated with animal hospitals. The 2k price was if the procedure was done at the local small animal hospital, required X-rays, hospitalization, etc and so on.  

When mentioning this baby's issues and our need to make a decision one way or the other, the stud owner's father recommended a large animal hospital about an hour away. I called them and asked for a 'price range' for this procedure. One of the vets at the large animal hospital called me back, discussed this in detail and asked me to bring the baby in, saying (as I knew) it was time to make a decision.

The place was spotless, grounds well-cared-for, stalls had fresh bedding, lots of employees who truly seemed to love animals. Vet discussed several options, saying the injury had done most of the work already. Cut the bone, clean the wound, remove dead tissue, stitch and bandage.

The limb is amputated between the shoulder and (knee?) but closer to the shoulder. By the time I got home, the surgery was done and all went well. We picked him up the next morning and I could already tell he felt better. Aftercare consists of daily penicillin shots. I'm tempted to give him baby aspirin as no pain meds were sent home.

He's hopping around, learning to navigate without the dangling, dead limb. His bandage seems quite secure for now.

I am going to add another reply to this because I have a related story that deserves its own space.

Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »

We have a 'new to us' Pygmy 'teen-age' girl. As you can imagine, her pen status is pretty low. When we put PegLeg back in the pens,  he nursed, then he went to one of the rear 'birthing pens, the largest, with its own water. Since all the babies are born these pens are open. This is the best place for his recovery.

This Pygmy went into the pen with PegLeg and laid with him. She lays on the side that is injured as if to keep the others from jumping on him. When he gets up she walks with him, protecting? him. Up to now she hadn't shown any interest in him that we recall. It's quite sweet.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 12:36:49 PM by Jan » Logged

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2017, 01:15:39 PM »

She sounds like a sweet soul.  We had a Nubian like that.  She never had any babies of her own but she seemed to make it her duty to watch over the underdog and watched the babies like a hawk.  Glad your boy is doing well.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2017, 06:22:34 AM »

Had your Pygmy girl been with your other goats for some time?  Did she have a buddy to hang with?  Like dogs, and cats, and more domesticated pets, they too, sense that someone is hurt and in need of personal care and protection.  Goats are so sensitive to things like this.  I'm laying odds she knows he needs a close friend, to pal with and someone to help protect him and needless to say, someone to say "I except you for who you now are".  Animals are wonderful creatures...Some Humans could take a lot of lessons from them.  I adore Pygmy's any way, and this just reminds me of why I love them so much.

~ Birdie ~
Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2017, 01:28:38 PM »

I finally got a picture of the two of them.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 05:43:51 AM »

Awww...that's precious.  Bless their tiny hearts and are sooooo pretty.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2017, 04:34:18 PM »

Awwww, how cute! kiss

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2017, 11:55:13 AM »

New picture.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: