HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 19, 2017, 11:42:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihandwcm

Stats
19337 Posts in 1378 Topics by 719 Members
Latest Member: TrishR
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Injured baby goat
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Topic: Injured baby goat  (Read 509 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 06:40:12 AM »

I have seen lots of video's of rescued amputee goats...but I've never seen one in person.  Don't let the vet hesitate too long if he's going to remove the leg...a dead leg can get gangrene in it, and cause him to die.  I have a feeling that the tendons are cut and that's why he's dragging it.  Unless the bone is broken and bone infections are the worlds worst for goats.

Keep us posted on what the Vet says...I know interns can be as good as regular vets, but I think this go round, I'd want the Vet not the intern.

~ Birdie ~
Jan
Caprine Guru

Central CA. Boers, Nubian, Alpine

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

The vet just left. The leg is dead and must be removed. Only other option is euthanasia. This vet is large animal/farm calls only so he said this would be done at animal hospital. He's going to get me a price range and call me later tonight or tomorrow. In the meantime he gave him another long-acting antibiotic.

My husband is always telling me that this is the farm life, this happens, it's sad, but get used to it. This same husband is in the other room sobbing like a baby.

I've been thinking this through. His injury doesn't change his genetics and if I use him as my stud I can spend more than what is economically feasible, especially if they will take payments.

I don't want to be perfect, I just want to make a difference.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 05:26:49 AM »

I will definitely be praying for this little guy.  I know you'll make the right decision on his behalf.  God be with you all. (((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 02:06:26 PM »

I was afraid it was beyond repair.Is this a large breed goat?  A 300 pound Boer buck used for breeding would be better off with all 4 legs. I know they can do fine and make adjustments,  I would just worry about the strain on the rest of him to compensate over time. I know it is hard and you will do what you feel is best.  No judgments here.
Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 08:49:47 PM »

Birdie:  thank you for reminding me that I've taken God out of this equation. The vet called me this morning and the costs would be in excess of 2k and he really didn't recommend it.

The little guy is still nursing, he allows me to treat his leg, eats grain. His head is up and doesn't act depressed. But he obviously doesn't play with the other babies.

I recognize euthanasia is the ultimate outcome but in the meantime until he tells me he's done, I'll continue to treat his leg. The smell is getting worse so I'll hit the feed store in the morning and stock up on betadine and other things recommended.

This is so sad, and it hurts.

dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 09:20:38 PM »

Front or rear leg? A front leg wouldn't be to bad for him, a rear leg may be problematic.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 04:54:55 AM »

The odor you may be smelling could be gangrene setting in.  If so, that's a slow death.  Consider his euthanasia, before he begins to suffer.  I know it will be terribly hard to do, and my heart breaks for you and this little guy.  It's never easy to make that call.

~ Birdie ~
Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 02:53:46 PM »

The last time the vet was here I brought the baby to the back patio to make examination easier. When I took him back to the pens he ran (as fast as a three-legged goat can) to his mom to nurse. That enthusiasm tells me he's not ready. i promise I will not let him suffer.

Because we try to be so gentle when we change his dressing he doesn't holler much. He did today, so I wonder if the betadine stings.

The injury is front right leg.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 05:37:38 AM »

It could be the nerves stinging.  Try mixing the betadine solution with a little sterile water.  How's the odor?  Is it getting worse?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 04:39:51 PM »

If you could afford it, a buck losing his front leg would most likely be ok for breeding. However, I know the surgery is really expensive. So sorry you have to go thru this.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 05:23:06 PM »

I know of a Boer buck with amputated front leg. He was good at his job & lived a long productive life.
2k is a lot of money but I know you will make the best decision for your circumstances. The Lord will give you peace for the right one. 
Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 06:01:15 PM »

Prayers requested for Peg-Leg, he's at a large animal hospital having that leg removed. God already opened a lot of doors to get us here, and for that we are grateful.

Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 06:13:29 PM »

Vet just called and surgery went well, we'll pick him up in the morning.

nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 07:21:35 PM »

Good news! More prayers for Peg-Leg.  kiss
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 06:30:29 AM »

God Bless you Jan...that's a tough decision to make...I am happy to hear that the surgery went well.  Keep us posted on how he's doing.  Bless his heart.  Jan, you have the kindest heart of any one I've ever met.  My prayers will continue to stay with you.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: