HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:45:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Losing Steam
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Losing Steam  (Read 125 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: June 22, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »

I still have a few stalls to clean out, leftover from kidding season early in the year. It's either been too cold or too wet & now it's too hot but I have to admit it's due to just being lazy.
It all has to be done by hand since we don't have a tractor.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:43:34 PM »

I so understand.

My doe pen has deep packed stuff along the edges, the center is down to bare ground  under the rubber mat.

The 3 buck areas and the kidding pen all need to be dig out from not being cleaned since last fall. The snow was too deep, then the mud to deep and wet to get those cleaned. Same for the 2 horse stalls. Physically, I just can't  do the horse stalls right now without my hip and knees going out on me. I have tried to hire someone but no one seems interested.

I'm hoping, if it gets hot and dry enough, that the stalls and pens will dry out and be easy to clean. I'm probably just dreaming! lol

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »

Yeah. If I can take just a layer or two at a time.
The buck hay rack is buried in it.  Roll Eyes He has demolished the lean to over it.
I think someone is interested in trading him for an FB doe. I have no Fullblood does.
One year we had a work crew here to muck & some sheep people stopped by. They made me feel better cause their wheelbarrows don't move through thick mud either.
Sometimes it takes an understanding comment like that.
As a former (maybe that's RE-formed) housekeeper I have learned to not judge messy homes or barns.
Besides, it makes me feel more at home.  Wink

Dragon how in the world do you have the center down to bare ground?  Huh?
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:19:50 PM »

I could stand to take the top layer off in the 3 stalls in the goat barn myself.  We have multiple tractors but there is just 1 small doorway which opens into the goat pen itself.  The whole process is a major pain in the butt, which probably is the reason I haven't gotten to it yet either Roll Eyes
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »

It's a rubber mat, so the mat is on bare ground in the center of the stall. There is a natural spring in the middle of their stall, hence the mat. The mat is easy to keep clean, I scrape it morning and night, takes me maybe 10 minutes tops. I shovel, walk out of the barn and chuck it all over the fence.

All 4 sides are at least 18" deep and need to be dug out. Cry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 06:24:50 AM »

Golly I hated spring clean up.  I was thankful that when we built our birthing pens, we left them portable and removable so when it came time to clean up, just lift the huts, take down one panel, and pull the tractor in.  In between, when I cleaned a hut for another momma to come into...I thankfully had the 4 wheeler and the dump wagon, just pull it along side the birthing pen gate and start tossing into the dump wagon with a shovel or a hay fork. 

But I tell ya, it was back breaking work, with or without a tractor/4wheeler...heavy heavy stuff.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 03:34:04 PM »

Yeah, my tractor is a wheelbarrow and muscle power! lol

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: