HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:05:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19694 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Kid Not Eating Grain
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Kid Not Eating Grain  (Read 216 times)
ND21st
Goataholic

« on: June 24, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »

I have a going on 7 week old doeling who shows zero interest in grain.  Even as the rest of the kids dig in she doesn't even seem curious.  She is healthy and active, eats hay and pasture, normal nursing from mom and does not pester her for more.  She's growing but is a bit more lean than the others.
I do recall a few over the years who didn't eat grain right away but never this late.
She is due to leave in a week - should I be worried?  I keep hoping once she is off her mom and in her new home she will figure out this stuff is good.
Anyone have this experience?
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 08:36:30 PM »

My goats are picky in what they eat; they love Purina Noble,  but will hardly eat Purina Goat Chow.  I would try a show goat feed for a short period of time for weight gain.
 I  just had a lovely, solid black doe born, Friday morning at 7:00AM, and hope she will not be so picky about feed.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:33:11 PM »

Can you separate her from mom at night? Put her in a stall with grain and a friendly kid who can teach her to eat it?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 06:18:05 AM »

I'm figuring that she just isn't hungry enough to want that grain.  She will come around in due time.  You could try what Dragonlair said and see how that goes with her.  If she gets hungry enough she is going to eat that grain.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »

My little black beauty (Willie), named after my dear mom, who is about to be with the Lord as we speak, is nursing well; however, my Birdie doe has small utter, and hope will fill out better as she eats.  She is eating the Noble fine, and today I mixed some 16% mare, sweet feed with the Noble, and she ate it up.  I have separated the doe and her kid from her mom, who are so bonded, they can't seem to be apart from one another. The Boer doe helped her kid, and clean up as I checked upon them, and the Birdie doe was nursing the kid all day.   The Boer doe, who is mother to Birdie, loves the baby as much as Birdie.  She stays in her area, and talks to her constantly.  It may be her own kids about to be born.  I  took Pam's advice and have separated them from the Boer doe, and she is yelling quite loud.  I have to check on her now, as say a prayer for me that I have no shoulder blocks.
  I now believe in more Alfalfa pellets to pregnant does.   Birdie doe spit out that kid like a greased pill.  This may be my last breeding, as wife will have another surgery, as she has developed 5 hernias on her right side after the back surgery.  She has had a time with pain in last 5 years.
 God bless us all, and especially, this nation.
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 04:52:57 PM »

You have a doe named Birdie?  Can we guess who she's named after?  That is so totally, absolutely, wonderfully cool.  Thank you for naming a little girl after the greatest goat genius EVER!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 05:18:42 AM »

My prayers are with you Charles...I feel just awful for your wife...I can't imagine the pain she's been in for so many years.  God be with her doctors.  I'm sorry to hear about your momma too.  It's so hard to loose our loved ones.  Your Boer Doe will be fine this time Charles.  I feel that God has already heard and has taken care of her birthing issues.  Keep the faith.  Birdie delivered so easily for you, and it was a fine blessing for you to have a birthing that went so easy.

Pat, thank you for that compliment...you're too sweet my friend.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:55:54 AM »

Yes, about 3 years ago, I found this site when having my first kidding, and this  short, long haired, pretty lady, led me thru the ordeal ( I read she was short, long hair, and I am sure good looking), named Birdie.  I named my first doe Birdie, and she has given me a lovely, black doe.  i was going to AI her; however my Kiko male tore out the gate, and walked up to her, bam, thank you mam, and the little hussy never moved, and I did not know she was in heat. I guess some are quite, and some are not! He is quite potent, and  she delivered  3 days before set date.
  I have studied in-breeding, line-breeding, and I am not afraid on this one father/daughter doe, as both animals are very good in conformation, and blood lines. Onyx is a grandson of Black Paradox.  The positive gene pool will be magnified, as well as the negative.  I have done a lot of research, and many have improved their herds with repeat results per breeding related animals.  You do have to cull if animal shows too much of the negative gene pool, and I will mate this kid later with AI, 100% Boer, producing bloodlines.  I look at what is on the ground at a quality goat farm, and it's producing %, rather than a show goat, that may have too many negative genes that are dominant, and only look good.   It is not always external looks that counts. I like a complete animal phenotype/genotype,  that will improve my herd.  Hey, you can look at a gorgeous woman on outside, and she may be a devil inside, and can't cook a lick!!!!!!  Yehaw
 This  will be a 75%Kiko/25%Boer doe.  The next breeding will be a 100% Boer
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 01:32:42 PM »

I have a going on 7 week old doeling who shows zero interest in grain.  Even as the rest of the kids dig in she doesn't even seem curious.  She is healthy and active, eats hay and pasture, normal nursing from mom and does not pester her for more.  She's growing but is a bit more lean than the others.
I do recall a few over the years who didn't eat grain right away but never this late.
She is due to leave in a week - should I be worried?  I keep hoping once she is off her mom and in her new home she will figure out this stuff is good.
Anyone have this experience?

How do you feed the kids?  Creep feeder?  Is it possible you are not seeing her eat?  I have 29 kids right now and I free feed in pans, troughs, buckets and I can tell you that some kids are in there fighting to get their share and some are just snoozing and couldn't care less.  Every goat I have ever raised has eaten grain eventually.  What are you feeding?

The only thing that would concern me is the age you are weaning her.  I know it is common for many breeders to wean at 8 weeks.  I keep my doelings on mom for 4 months before weaning.  That way they have a really good nutritional start.
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 07:59:05 AM »

Tada!  She has starting eating grain.  I guess it just took her awhile to become interested.  Thanks for all the advice.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »

I would make sure her new owners feed EXACTLY what you are feeding.  Otherwise with the combination of new home and stress she may not eat again.
ND21st
Goataholic

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 03:05:35 PM »

Boy, once she discovered this is tasty stuff she is digging in and jumping into the bowl!  I do always send some grain home with new owners to slowly mix in with theirs but as this comes from my local mill they won't be able to perfectly duplicate it.  But I have no fears at this point she will regress.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 06:40:24 AM »

She'll be just fine...just don't over feed her...it won't take their new owners long to get them over to the new food.  I'm real happy to hear she's loving her new Entree' hahaa.  Grin

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: