HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 02:23:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Goatbeat is in constant prayer Praying for all in harms way the Hurricanes.
God Bless and keep them each and all safe.

Stats
19432 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 87 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: June 30, 2017, 10:09:02 AM »

As some of you know, I am an Animal Control officer for 2 local towns, 1 very rural and one more urban than suburban. I got a call about a neglected donkey. While investigating this donks conditions (owner was given some very poor advice by another donkey owner) I met a Veterinarian.

This Vet handles only Horses, sheep and GOATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pray Pray Cool Cool WooHoo! WooHoo! run run :grnstrs: :grnstrs: Dancing Banana Dancing Banana Happy Happy chickendance chickendance

Can you tell I am excited????? She is experienced in goats, has been working for another practice for a while but has since started her own practice. She is strictly mobile, so no problems or extra expense coming to the farms. She is all about education, another major plus.

We are meeting next week to assist the owner with her donk (and 2 goats) so I will be learning about donks, also. I have always wanted one,
and will have one someday, but with my dogs and their hatred of dogs, I have not.

WooHoo!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 01:09:51 PM »

What a find for you!   I hope it is the start of a long and productive relationship.  I want a donkey too   Roll Eyes
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 06:29:22 AM »

Oh I love Donkeys.  My daddy raised Mules, and man did I adore them.  Momma hated them, she said "A mule lives to kill you." and Mac and Jack never did hurt me, and the Jenny's oh my goodness, all they wanted was to bury those big heads and long ears into your chest and have their ears scratched.  My neighbor has Jerusalem Donkeys and I just love talking to them, they are so sweet and gentle.  I haven't went to the fence to pet any of them yet, but boy do I want to.  She also has those adorable Nigi's, and a few crossed of it out there with the Donkeys.  I told her if they came up missing one day, not to look in my back yard!!!  Grin Grin

Deb, this is awesome for you.  You can exchange goat knowledge and learn all about the donkeys...this is a grand opportunity.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 08:53:34 AM »

How awesome is that!?
Jan
Caprine Guru

Central CA. Boers, Nubian, Alpine

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 07:03:29 AM »

We are surrounded by goat dairies. Yet I get the impression that goats are not the focus of the call-out vets. They know what the textbooks say, but....

I suspect that each dairy has an in-house employee to handle medical issues and costs per case rule the treatment.

I LOVED the large animal hospital who treated PegLeg.

I don't want to be perfect, I just want to make a difference.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 07:33:08 AM »

My two Jennies are much easier to raise than goats.  They are loving, and with fresh water, hay, and I give a couple of handfuls of a low protein feed, about 2 to 3 times a week, to keep them running when I call.  Watch about giving goat feed with Rum. It is bad for donkeys.  I  place a Safeguard block out every 4 to 5 months, and their coats are slick.  I also use Dumor Hoof for horses, reducing amount, for hooves that start to split, and I use the Cylence down the back, and on  forehead for flies.  Works great.   A great product from Vet. is Dormosedan Gel, applied with a glove , under tongue, for any hoof work.  It works like a dream-- just place under the tongue, and wait about 35 to 40 minutes, and they are like a lamb.  Gotta love the donkeys!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: