HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:46:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  New Doe coming
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: New Doe coming  (Read 166 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: July 04, 2017, 09:05:53 AM »

Help I have never brought in a new doe. All my girls are homies.
She is 3 mo old. There is no quarantine pen to put her & I do not want her alone in the barn.
I have a feeling Dep is going to stay very close to her but on the other hand I don't want any ripped ears; his way of discipline.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 01:05:12 PM »

Can you make a pen in the " common area" of their living space?  That way she can get acquainted and still be safe.  No way would I ever throw a new 3 month old( or any age doe)  in with my " homies". Do you have another youngster you can pen her with?
Maybe your does are nicer than mine are.
Hope it all goes smoothly.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 01:07:34 PM by Julie H » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 02:40:02 PM »

You know what Julie? Thanks that's exactly what I'll do. Generally they are fairly nice, but I've never had a new outside doe here.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 03:10:57 PM »

I'd be afraid to put another doe, especially a young one, in with my herd. They are not nice to each other, let alone a newby!

Do you have another doeling about her age that you could pen her with? And portable pens you could make a temp area from? If not, pallets work pretty well are temp fencing.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 05:50:37 PM »

Skye's temp pen is almost done. It is inside the main pen. Was gonna put her in with the ducks with her own water high up but this will be much better.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:06:25 PM »

Correction her name is SUNNY. Skye is the dam's name from my favorite, Leaning Tree.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 05:42:26 AM »

Congratulations on the newbie arrival.  Can't wait to see pictures.  Nancy, I've been using Keep & Share website...and it's much easier, much faster than Photobucket. 

Just watch for your girls to pound on the new pen.  They can destroy any thing in a matter of minutes.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »

I know my goats can destroy one quickly !  Is she home?  How's it going??
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 04:42:20 PM »

Pictures!!!!!!!?????

I can just see a goat in with the ducks, swimming along. Remember that picture of the goat in an inner tube? With the title "Whatever floats your goat?" That's all I could think of when you posted about her in with the ducks! Grin laugh tongue

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 07:21:21 PM »

I know my goats can destroy one quickly !  Is she home?  How's it going??

Ha! It wasn't 10 minutes I heard a bunch of racket, they had knocked over a section of cattle panel which was zip tied, stealing her hay.
Dep was pretty good at keeping others away from her but old Victoria got in a few licks, maybe cause she tried to nurse off her I'm not sure She spent some time going Sunny Hunting.
Put panel back up with carbiners this time.
She is my first Fullblood.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 06:02:38 AM »

Time to remove Victoria if your new set up doesn't work.

She looks awesome in the pictures in FB.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »

Until I replaced zip ties with carbiners there have been daily break ins. Yesterday it was Blondie & one of her little girls. It must have been cause Sunny now has Blondie's old cooler used for hay that we used when she had kidded.
Yesterday a Blondie girl was in with Sunny trying to steal her grain. Sunny held her own. "Get out of here that's mine!" as she butted.  Smiley
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 01:24:31 PM »

Sounds like she will know everyone really soon.  Things would be easier if we didn't feed grain!  Brings out the worst in my goats, I know.....
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 06:22:25 AM »

At least she's meeting them one on one and holding her own with all of it.  That's a good thing.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: