HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2017, 11:45:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  computer scammer
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: computer scammer  (Read 75 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: July 05, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »

I hate to say I was almost a willing participant ( victim)  in a computer scam yesterday. Thank God he protects the " stupid'.  Thankfully my debit card was rejected and I had no credit card due to fraudulent charges from last week.

I called the number I have for the apple support  and found out asap this morning.  We did some updating and added some malware software ( for free).
 I also had the presence of mind to notify my bank and have a hold placed on my debit card and later had it cancelled.  I know enough to not give any personal or bank info or passwords, but I did try to pay with my debit card.

I feel violated and very, very stupid.  Lesson learned.  The warning looked so authentic.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:02:08 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »

These scammers are very good at their work and can make any site look legit. Glad you got everything stopped in time!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:12:11 PM »

We used to get calls from IRS that we had to appear before the magistrate or pay fines.
IRS does not do phone calls. They all went into voicemail & marked off as spam. I do not even answer the phone unless I recognize the #.
Apple is pretty secure though, more than most. And there's only one organization that has my debit card info.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 07:13:03 PM »

We used to get calls from IRS that we had to appear before the magistrate or pay fines.
IRS does not do phone calls. They all went into voicemail & marked off as spam. I do not even answer the phone unless I recognize the #.
Apple is pretty secure though, more than most. And there's only one organization that has my debit card info.
Even the bank does not have our email.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 06:05:19 AM »

Wow...that's scary.

I try like crazy not to do business on the internet, as far as them keeping my card number.

I refuse to use any site to order things through, unless I've used them for a long, long time, like Jeffers.  But even them, I don't set up accounts that can be hacked.  Amazon just had a huge hack, that stole a lot of folks card numbers.  A few of our friends just had it happen to them through Amazon, and low and behold it was on the news the next night.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 01:16:43 PM »

In talking with the wonder person at Apple who helped me, she said they got us when someone accidentally hit the popup for the " adobe flash player" .  That comes up all the time when people are looking at stuff.  We don't do that, but someone must have hit the wrong place and it was downloaded and on our computer. 

Yes, Apple is very secure and they didn't actually get into my computer.

Lesson is don't upload adobe flash player and call the number YOU have for support if an alert comes up on your screen.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: