HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:18:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  My goats are I-D-10-T s.
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: My goats are I-D-10-T s.  (Read 549 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: July 05, 2017, 04:58:36 PM »

I am trying to enlarge the outside goat area for the girls. Last week I got my friend to go with me to get 3 cattle panels at TSC. I got them all set up, everything but the electric fence running along the inside of the panel, but I need to have them eat down the weeds so i can FIND the e fence line that already runs along the perimeter fence. Roll Eyes

So, today is my day off and I had nothing scheduled after an animal control meet up with a Vet and owner cancelled, so I filled their hay rack with a good amount of hay so they would have their bellies full when I opened the gate. (actually it's a wooden pallet  Wink )

I raised the 2 strands of e fence so that even I could walk under it without a problem. I removed the pallet.......

And waited. And waited. And waited some more. I had pulled some weeds from the existing fence, so a few were nibbling on those, and one even put her head thru where the pallet had been to nibble on some weeds, but that was it.  No rush to get to the weeds that they usually scream for when I hand pick them.

I grabbed a couple of does and dragged them thru the opening. They nibbled for a minute and then went back in their old pen.

I had to go get my supper (Dominos pizza just opened up next town over and I had a coupon) so I turned the layers loose to free range and left. When I got back, the does and kids hadn't moved. They were all either sunbathing or laying down in their inside pen. 

They saw me at my back door and screamed to eat.  I went down and tried to get a couple thru the opening. Nope, they would have none of it!

Every one of my goats is an I-D-10-T !

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:14:58 PM »

Grin boy this one had me rolling on the floor.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:30:33 AM »

Finally, just before dark, several (not quite half the herd) decided to wander in and eat some of the weeds and such that was growing in their new area. When I went outside to lock up the layers, the goats hanging in the old part screamed at me to feed them. Duh.  Roll Eyes

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 06:00:57 AM »

Grin Grin  Ya know, we use to have that same issue.  I think it's because Goats do not like change.  Not even when it's nice yummy weeds and new grasses to go eat on.   laugh laugh  What I had to do with ours was, go to the new area, clap my hands and yell "Doe Doats, come on Doe Doats" and take off running.  Yes, our crazy goats, would come when I clapped my hands and play like a dog when it came to the game "chase"...Then they would take off running after me, and some baa'ing to beat the band, and some just snorting and running at the same time, and some hopping on all 4 feet and snorting...it was crazy for sure.  If I stayed out there, they would stay in their new pen/pasture area, but you let me inch my way towards that gate opening and ZOOM, LIKE ROCKETS...they were all back in the old pen/pasture area and looking at me and baa'ing like "and you thought you were going to leave us there all alone...YOU'RE NUTS MOM!!!"

goats are strange critters!!!  Goat goat

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »

They did mange to find their way into the pen early this morning and have it all chowed down. I was able to run the single strand of e fence and make it hot so they will (knock on wood) stay off the fence that is not the most sturdy going. The property along the back edge is pretty damp and swampy, so posts do not set very well.

Since I only have 1 acre of land, this new addition is only 32 feet long by 16 feet wide. Even if I could run, there would have been no room!

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »

I have to walk in front of the herd calling " common babies" when a new pasture opens up.  Why is that?  Then of course they will trample me to get out the walk thru gate into the wide blue yonder, because I guess they aren't supposed to be there Huh?

Maybe they thought the electric fence was there??
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »

It's a plot for murder, Julie. Oh they will make it look like an accident alright.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 05:46:55 AM »

It's a plot for murder, Julie. Oh they will make it look like an accident alright.

Grin Grin :haha: :haha: ROLF ROLF ROLF ROLF
Nancy, No Truer words were ever spoken!!!

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 01:15:42 PM »

If they kill me there will be no one to feed them. I guess they don't think about that.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: