HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:05:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Swallowed plastic bag
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Swallowed plastic bag  (Read 170 times)
Pat
Caprine Guru

« on: July 17, 2017, 10:09:44 AM »

Gracie swallowed a thin plastic bag (the kind grocery stores provide for veggies) before I could catch her and get it.  I stuck my fingers as far down her throat as I could when I finally did get her, but the bag was long gone.  What should I do?
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 01:12:21 PM »

Oh no. Maybe a couple of slices of bread? Praying it will pass intact soon & that you find it.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 05:06:12 AM »

I don't know...you may need a vet to do an extraction...I would get her started on something like Veggie oil..giving maybe 4 to 6cc's orally once a day...or maybe wheat germ oil (that stuff is good stuff but it's expensive).  I would call your Vet and see what he says about it.  Hopefully she will pass this pretty quick.  But she may need help extracting it if she does pass it.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »

My dog does this on a regular basis, he will eat anything not nailed down. He has even learned to open drawers the pull out my non-latex hospital gloves and swallows those whole. I just put oil on his food and it slides right out in a day or so. He has also eaten an entire large garbage bag, several smaller grocery bags, straws, you name it. I have to lock everything up out of his reach, but even then, he still manages to find stuff to eat. The yard looks very colorful sometimes.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »

Pat, how is she?
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »

Nancy...apologies for not noticing your post sooner.

She (silly thing) appears to be just fine.  I didn't see the bag or any fragments coming out, her appetite is normal, and she's her normal self as far as everything I can see.  I honestly don't know what to think, but I do know I won't be taking fresh treats out in plastic bags EVER AGAIN.  That experience taught me that they love cabbage, for what it's worth.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 09:30:21 PM »

Oh thanks for the good news update! Sometimes they sure throw us into a tailspin.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 05:37:58 AM »

My goodness...I do hope that her stomach enzymes have broken that down.  I know exactly what you mean about learning a lesson the scary way...every critter I've ever own, including the human kind...has given me plenty of those lessons on scared to death!!!  laugh

~ Birdie ~
Jan
Caprine Guru

Central CA. Boers, Nubian, Alpine

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 06:44:02 AM »

WHY do goats love plastic?  (Rhetorical). Mine can find any plastic bags that blow in.

I don't want to be perfect, I just want to make a difference.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: