HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2017, 08:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Goatbeat is in constant prayer Praying for all in harms way the Hurricanes.
God Bless and keep them each and all safe.

Stats
19433 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Free feed doe with kids, or twice a day, with 16% feed
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Free feed doe with kids, or twice a day, with 16% feed  (Read 97 times)
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« on: August 15, 2017, 08:17:38 AM »

I  am wondering about feeding my two does with kids, free feed what they want, or just controlled feed twice a day.  One doe loves Noble only, and I have been letting her feed all she wants while nursing a 5 week old kid. The Boer doe in free feeding, seems ok, and her stool is fine; however, the Genemaster doe's stool is a large amount, and she is sensitive to change, having a single kid.  The Boer has twin males. I was wanting to change over to a 18% goat grower feed, while nursing, but they do not want to eat the other feed.
How do you gals  feed the new moms??
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »

I would never allow 24/7 access to bagged feed   ( if that is what your asking)??

My does get grain once daily while nursing kids. I put it out in feed tubs, pans &  feeders so it is a free for all thing.    I keep good hay out 24/7 and they have pasture during the day.  They seem to hold their weight well on this.

I do have several does that I bring into the barn to grain separately and these get it  morning & evening.  

A 13 year old gets 2 -16oz containers at each feeding  -- to keep her condition up, she has 2 big twins

my yearling gets 1- 16 oz container at each feeding - unplanned breeding and I want her to keep growing

6 year old get 1 1/2 16oz  containers at each feeding.  She has 3 and gets ketosis like symptoms after kidding but does great if supplemented.  I have never had a doe not like my grain, but if given too much it can throw off their system I think.

I mix my own feed but would guess it is at 16-18 %  protein.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:46:09 PM by Julie H » Logged
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »

I will give you an A+ for that reply.  My does will hardly eat Alfalfa pellets now.  I am going to feeding a controlled 1s&1/2 pounds twice a day.  They will not eat the protein tubs, as I guess I was feeding too much Noble.  I can't feed much BOSS for the dang squirrels getting into their food.  I will have to start removing them as they are so many now, they are a pest!   I have a plant about a mile from me that makes their own feed, and the goat grower is 18%, and is 18$ a 50lb bag if purchased in single bags.  The large amounts are 18 cents a pound.  I am going to take a 55gallon, plastic barrel, and fill it up.  I use the blue barrels that hold 50 lbs, and works out well when dipping out feed.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 05:22:54 AM »

I never free fed any of my goats.  Not even the babies.

They were fed twice daily.

You all measure by pounds..I measured per cup.  Each Doe is different in what she needs to maintain, and I adjusted from that.  No nursing Doe received less than 2 cups 2 times daily.  If a Nursing Doe needed more she got more...I fed individually to my goats.  That way I could tell who needed what and who was eating good/bad.  My Does held good condition through nursing.  Of course I fed Fastrack as well, which when feeding that, they digest all they eat, so no issues with loss of food nutrients.  Fastrack has gotten so expensive that even my cost (wholesale) was out of this world expensive.  I didn't feed fastrack to Hanna or Mercy, and they did fine, not as good as my girls back home did, but they did fine.

BOSS was always a supplement with only a few seeds per head, but I had it mixed into my feed when I went to the feed mill.  I also added the mineral to the grain to prevent waste, but I didn't do it at the mill.  Mineral sinks to the bottom of the bag, and they aren't getting what they need, so this was added in when I filled a feed bucket to go to the feed pans.

I would never ever free feed an Adult goat, nursing or not.  It's just not safe to do that.  Overeating disease is awful.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »

I never free fed any of my goats.  Not even the babies.

They were fed twice daily.

You all measure by pounds..I measured per cup.  Each Doe is different in what she needs to maintain, and I adjusted from that.  No nursing Doe received less than 2 cups 2 times daily.  If a Nursing Doe needed more she got more...I fed individually to my goats.  That way I could tell who needed what and who was eating good/bad.  My Does held good condition through nursing.  Of course I fed Fastrack as well, which when feeding that, they digest all they eat, so no issues with loss of food nutrients.  Fastrack has gotten so expensive that even my cost (wholesale) was out of this world expensive.  I didn't feed fastrack to Hanna or Mercy, and they did fine, not as good as my girls back home did, but they did fine.

BOSS was always a supplement with only a few seeds per head, but I had it mixed into my feed when I went to the feed mill.  I also added the mineral to the grain to prevent waste, but I didn't do it at the mill.  Mineral sinks to the bottom of the bag, and they aren't getting what they need, so this was added in when I filled a feed bucket to go to the feed pans.

I would never ever free feed an Adult goat, nursing or not.  It's just not safe to do that.  Overeating disease is awful.

Birdie-- My 16oz container ( old sour cream plastic container)  holds 2 cups.  That is the max I will feed at 1 time.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 01:21:42 PM »

I will give you an A+ for that reply.  My does will hardly eat Alfalfa pellets now.  I am going to feeding a controlled 1s&1/2 pounds twice a day.  They will not eat the protein tubs, as I guess I was feeding too much Noble.  I can't feed much BOSS for the dang squirrels getting into their food.  I will have to start removing them as they are so many now, they are a pest!   I have a plant about a mile from me that makes their own feed, and the goat grower is 18%, and is 18$ a 50lb bag if purchased in single bags.  The large amounts are 18 cents a pound.  I am going to take a 55gallon, plastic barrel, and fill it up.  I use the blue barrels that hold 50 lbs, and works out well when dipping out feed.

I just mix the BOSS into my 50 pounds of feed ( when I mix it)  I use a 33oz coffee can per 50 pounds .  The same with dried molasses and alfalfa pellets.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »

It takes about 3 cups for a pound of Noble.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »

For concentrates (whole grains or commercial feeds):

I free feed my kids in a creep feeder, from day 1 until they are either sold, shipped to freezer camp or old enough to eat with the yearlings and dry does while maintaining their condition.

I do not free feed my adults, no matter how many kids they have on them. Mine are pigs and would over eat, causing lamanitis, bloat, acidosis and any other disease you can imagine!

I, too, feed by the pound. I weigh a coffee can from each bag of feed, so I know how much it weighs and then go from there. When I add whole oats, the weight gets lighter, when I add alfalfa pellets, the weight goes up.

I feed each doe differently, depending on her metabolism, her milk production and how many kids she has. All things being equal, it averages 1  pound of feed per 2 pounds of milk if I am milking and have pulled the kids; 1 pound of feed per kid + the 1 pound per 2 pounds of milk in the bucket if I am milking and letting her raise the kid(s) and if she has triplets or more, then I add an extra 1/2 pound. This is per feeding, I feed twice a day, 3 if they are really super producers. My big NuMancha doe was raising huge triplet bucks plus still giving me 1/2 gallon a day, she was getting 6 pounds of feed twice a day and looked really good. The other 3 who had triplets did not get quite as much because they didn't need to be milked.

They get hay 3 times a day unless it's very cold, then they get fed 4 times a day. I bring browse to them in the summer, as I have it. In the late fall, winter and spring, they get soaked beet pulp and alfalfa pellets added to their grain. I only feed BOSS if I am feeding alfalfa. BOSS is wicked high in phosphorus and very low in calcium, I don't want to cause an imbalance in my goats.

Currently I have strictly dairy goats, however I did have Boers for a while along with the dairy girls and treated the Boer does the same as i did the dairy girls. (Bucks, also. Meat or dairy, they got cared for/fed the same way). MY full blood does could hold their own in the milk pail. They were not going to win any awards, but they paid their way for sure. The 50/50 cross does did even better and a couple had to be milked while they had kids on them because they were heavy producers.

I can't get 16% dairy goat rations around here, only 20% pellets and 18% textured. I mix them together for a 19% and add oats to drop it down to what I feel they need at that point in their milking cycle. Depending on where they are with production and kids, they get anywhere from 19% down to 15%. Adding the beet pulp and alfalfa changes the mix and %'s but my horrible math skills are just enough to figure out the amounts needed of each feed to make the protein % I need.

Each doe in milk and the bottom 2 in the herd hierarchy get fed alone, either on the milk stand or tied up outside the pen. Dry does and youngstock get fed in the pen from 2 large feeders (or more if I need it). The bucks get tied up when outside and are fed the concentrates separately. In the colder months, they are in the barn in their own separate stall. They share 3 smallish hay feeders outside, and have a personal one in their stall.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »

Wow, it took only 3 years for this good info on amounts to feed.  Yehaw!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 05:23:40 AM »

Charles, this link has been in GB for years on feed and feeding amounts...

http://goatbeat.net/index.php?topic=938.0

It's worth a read to see how others mix and fed their goats.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »

Our does get about 1 & 1/2 grain twice a day only if lactating, along with a handful of BOSS. Growing kids get worked up to about 1 # 17% plus BOSS.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 03:21:22 PM »

Now I do give a little more than Nancy's last post!!   Yehaw, Yehaw
I was just stating that the last few posts were the best--specific-- info on amounts to give, involving any formula or % protein, I can remember, especially, for beginners, or dummies like me.
I had always asked before --how much of said % protein-- in certain situations, and these posts are very good.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: