HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 09:32:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Something strange happened
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Something strange happened  (Read 87 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: August 18, 2017, 01:10:29 PM »

I was cleaning out the goat pen on Tuesday morning ( like I do every day) and saw my only white doeling  Janie (  4 months 1 week old)  run to her mom to nurse along with her brother.  I dumped my wheelbarrow and started to fill it again when I noticed her laying down all by herself. She didn't get up as I approached and when I got to her she got up but was off balance and was not staggering but more like she had an inner ear thing and was falling sideways .

I watched her for a bit and other than that she acted completely normal. I put new hay out and she proceeded to eat just fine.  I decided to give her the antibiotic I would if this was one of my piglets who can get similar type issues.  So I went down to the barn and drew up Baytril and Dexamethazone .  She is not used to handling and she drug me through 2 feed tubs and into the dirt trying to get away from me, she was plenty strong!!

After I gave that (IM)  she went out to pasture with the herd and she seemed steadier the more she moved.  When they came in that afternoon she was no worse/ no better and acted fine but seemed to move cautiously and seemed confused as to why she couldn't walk straight.  Eating, nursing, chewing cud, eyes alert , bright attitude , weight still all normal.

Wed-Thur all the same.

Friday ( today)  I notice she seems to be walking normally.  I was planning to give Baytril/ Dex again but think I will hold off and see what happens.

Ideas??
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:13:02 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »

Is she anemic at all, that may cause her unsteadiness due to weakness?

Do you have white tail deer that can cause meningeal worms?

Has it been extremely hot/humid so that the heat may be causing her problems? Is she hydrated?

Is her head twisting? How are her eyes?

Any chance of her have gotten butted by a bigger goat or hit her head on something hard?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 06:51:42 AM »

Deb has very valid questions...all of which can and will cause this issue.

To check for over heating (heat stroke), pull the upper eyelid up, see those veins in the upper eye?  What size are they?  To compare, check a normal goat (doesn't matter if it's a doe or buck or what age the goat is), see how tiny those veins are in width and color?  If your baby girl has her wider or darker red, then it's a heat stroke.  You will need to treat her appropriately.

If she's anemic, then this is really into the latter stages of anemia.  Prompt attention is needed or she won't pull through it.

I'm thinking either heat, or head butted. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 01:41:52 PM »

Is she anemic at all, that may cause her unsteadiness due to weakness?

Do you have white tail deer that can cause meningeal worms?

Has it been extremely hot/humid so that the heat may be causing her problems? Is she hydrated?

Is her head twisting? How are her eyes?

Any chance of her have gotten butted by a bigger goat or hit her head on something hard?

In Answer:

She is not anemic gum and eye color are good.  Her veins seem to look like everyone else's.

We do have deer around but I have never seen one in the pasture they graze since it is bordered on 3 sides by our houses and with our dogs they stay away.

We have been cooler actually and she looks fabulous condition wise.

No head twisting and her eyes are clear and focused normally.

Very good chance she got rammed by an adult female.  They seem to be a bit annoyed by the young boys ( which are leaving pronto).

She was jumping on the ramp today . Still a bit cautious in her movements.  I think I will do another round of Baytril/ Dex.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:43:49 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 06:31:05 AM »

Have you checked her body temp?  I would do that first thing.  As you know, that's the tell tell of every thing that could be happening.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »

Have you checked her body temp?  I would do that first thing.  As you know, that's the tell tell of every thing that could be happening.

I went ahead and did another Baytril / Dex shot.  I would rather have done by mouth but not sure I could give it orally? 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 05:21:02 AM »

I don't use either one of those so I don't know if they can be or not either.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 03:53:39 PM »

Dex I have given orally, but I think the Baytril should be done by injection.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 01:56:44 PM »

Dex I have given orally, but I think the Baytril should be done by injection.

Good to know.  Thank you.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: