HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 02:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Goatbeat is in constant prayer Praying for all in harms way the Hurricanes.
God Bless and keep them each and all safe.

Stats
19432 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Updated worm resistance info
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Updated worm resistance info  (Read 36 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: August 22, 2017, 08:58:49 PM »

https://www.wormx.info/combinations

Research in the US,  Australia and New Zealand has shown a better way to deworm. All dewormers have become less effective due to worm resistance. Several universities world wide have shown that using 2-5 (2-3 in the USA because we do not have the wide group of medications available, thanks to the FDA) deworming medications when needed is proving to be as much as 98-99% effective against worms. While worms can build up resistance to a chemical after just 1 dose, using 3 different families of chemicals make it extremely difficult for the worms to build up a resistance quickly.

I have been using this method for 2 years now. All new goats get a cocktail of Valbazen, Prohibit and Ivermectin (or Cydectin) upon arrival. Even kids over the age of 6 weeks. Adding copper oxide rods (copper boluses) increases the effectiveness. My worm loads have gone way down. I am working with breeding for worm resistance/tolerance to further reduce the worm loads and having to deworm frequently.

I have never had a bad reaction in any of the goats, no matter the age. Deworming while pregnant is not advisable anyway, but this method is not for use in pregnant animals because the Valbazen can cause abortions in bred does. When I have bucklings sent to freezer camp, I had liver samples sent out to check for damage from the worming chemicals. None were found.

The meds must be given orally to goats. If a goat is in poor shape, the meds can be given separately, 1 day apart.

www.wormx.info and www.sheepandgoat.com have awesome information on internal parasites of goats, sheep and other small ruminants. You can find webinars from both places, as well as a lot of the small ruminant departments at some of the Ag colleges/universities.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:44:25 PM »

Do you mix them in 1 big syringe or draw up 3  syringes and give separately?  I use syringe minus the needle to give dewormer.

Excellent info !!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 08:23:18 PM »

I mix it together in a cocktail and then suck it up in a dosing/drenching syringe.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: