HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2017, 08:33:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Goatbeat is in constant prayer Praying for all in harms way the Hurricanes.
God Bless and keep them each and all safe.

Stats
19433 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Bye, bye babies!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Bye, bye babies!  (Read 88 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: August 25, 2017, 10:34:01 AM »

The last 2 "for sale" kids are leaving today. I have my car ready to go, just have to catch the hooligans later this afternoon to crate and haul them north to meet with the new owner of 1 who is also transporting the other to her new owner. I was going to keep both of them, but then just decided I didn't have the space, extra money and time to raise them, so when the offer to buy came up, I took it. One is a Nubian doeling, the other is a Mini Nubian doeling. What also made me change my mind is I own both sires, so I would have no one to breed them to next fall.

For someone who is on vaca, and really wanted to get stuff done around the farm, I have spent every day so far driving someplace far away. I just want a day or 2 to putter around, nap and relax. Ugh.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:31:40 PM »

that's great Dragon, the new homes.
How long are you on vacation?
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »

I am keeping 2 girls this year. I wanted to keep 2 more but someone bought 1 and now I have 2 interested buyers scheduled for my remaining 5 . I always have more buyers than does so I am thinking I may offer them a yearling I have.  

I have only sold one buckling  Angry  They are eating me out of house and home and  driving me and the older does crazy and are auction bound on Thursday.  Next year I will band them all.  Lesson learned !!

I am glad you have buyers too.  I hope you get some puttering time.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »

An FF and her two  5 mo old does were suppose to have been out of here last week.

Oh Julie to have more buyers than you can supply is a wonderful thing.

A few years ago we had a 75% Boer born. He was a single & before we knew it he was too big for the bander.
Never saw extension or action. He was 3 months old when we took him to freezer camp.
5 mos after he left his own mama popped out some kids. Then half the does started forming udders.  Angry
He really threw a monkey wrench in my breeding program.
But get this I sold a bottle baby "mutt" to a top notch breeder. She bred her to her own enobled buck. They produced a beautiful colorful doe who raked in blue ribbons at a few shows.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:57:06 PM by nancy d » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 06:53:39 AM »

Grin Grin  Nancy I had one of those "oops" breedings too...ruined my program that year too.  I called him the "Fertile Freak!"  hahaha.  Grin Grin

Hey Deb, that's great that you have buyers coming in that way, but I hope you're charging for this "meeting" and "travel" stuff you are having to do.

Julie, I had that same issue...not enough goats for the buyers I had...that included my bucklings.  I have to say, I was lucky when it came to buyers for my goats.  I did take the inbred boys, and one sterile Doe into the slaughter auction...I wasn't having my name on those boys, unless someone wanted them as wethers.  The Doe, we tried for 3 yrs to get her to breed to a buck and she wouldn't.  Had her checked and nothing wrong with her.  She was mean to the other Does (lost me a set of really nice Genemaster twin babies and almost lost their momma), and she hated the babies, and I put her in with the buck for a companion and she was terrified of him.  So she had to go.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 09:28:43 AM »

Well, one sale fell through. The woman who I met (repeat buyer who LOVES my minis) got hers but said the guy who was buying the standard Nubian doeling bought one closer and supposedly notified me. Didn't get his notice, so she came back home with me. I'll offer her for sale, if no one buys her, she will stay here. I will breed her to an outside Nubian and sell her as a FF milker. She's incredibly well bred and a beauty, so she should have some nice kids and a gorgeous udder.

Last year I couldn't sell my animals, mostly because we had the 3rd year of poor hay crops. This year we had a better hay year, so all my does sold quickly (except for this little doeling) but I had a buck year and almost no does to sell. The bucks, on the other hand, did not sell well at all and several went to a dealer for $1.00/lb  Angry. I had 2 that were super sire quality and would have kept one myself except they were related to most of my herd. The dealer kept one as his herd sire but the other went for meat.  Cry Angry. I kept 1 (litter mate to this left behind doeling) to breed to my 2 Nubian x yearlings who will be for sale after they are bred. He is sharp looking and has spots, so maybe he will sell. The 2 remaining bucks are being raised for freezer camp the end of September before hunting season and the rush for people to put their smaller livestock in the freezer starts. I hate to do this, but I will have another mouth to feed, no raise at work, so I will need to meat.

Like Julie, my bucks drove me CRAZY this year.......my son will be home this February, so all bucks will be banded unless they are perfect. I will give them 3 weeks to sell as bottle kids or at least get a deposit on them, or they get banded.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 01:07:43 PM »

You gals watch about the Ooops , as my little black doe has sold herself per my Dr., giving me a shoulder shot, and saw the picture.  I don't know if I will or not sale her.  She is gowing like a weed; however, my two young bucks are just starting to eat, and are as large as Willie now.  The BoKi is so much more in conformation mass than the Kiko.   My PC has been down for several days, and am praying for all in Texas during the storm, as my sister is in San Antonio. 
 What do you ladies use for the kids to feed from , and keep the moms off?   I am looking at my calf feeder, and I think I will either place a piece of plywood over the end, and cut a door for the kids to go thru, or use a piece of 4x4, wire panel to make an opening to keep moms out.  I will free feed the kids for first few months.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 01:24:29 PM »

5 mos after he left his own mama popped out some kids. Then half the does started forming udders.  Angry

This is my biggest fear !  At least 4  of the boys are as tall as the mothers .

It has never happened to me and from what I can see the big does are not on board with the young bucks advances and they don't seem to bother my few remaining young girls.  My buyer is coming on Monday and that should clean me out of doelings ( except my 2 dappled beauties  Grin  ).

They have grown really well this year.  Must be the clover added in the hay??

cbdale--  I don't creep feed.  They just get what they can when I put it out every evening.  Except 4 kids who eat with their mothers who I grain separately.  The kids realized mom was getting food so they started coming in too.  It was easier to feed them. One buckling was a tiny guy and the extra 2 grain feedings have tripled his size and he looks fabulous.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »

My kids get a creep feeder after they've learned how to eat their mama's
 grain.
Depending how on how they are doing, it is either two or three times a day.

Charles make your entrance small. A two foot tall opening those mamas will squeeze though.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 01:14:13 PM »

My kids get a creep feeder after they've learned how to eat their mama's
 grain.
Depending how on how they are doing, it is either two or three times a day.

Charles make your entrance small. A two foot tall opening those mamas will squeeze though.

Also make it crash proof.  I tried building a creep feeding pen but the does just wouldn't give up and crashed it to bits  Angry  Kind of ended my desire to creep feed.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 03:15:13 PM »

"Crash proof" Julie you got that right!   Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: