HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2017, 08:35:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Goatbeat is in constant prayer Praying for all in harms way the Hurricanes.
God Bless and keep them each and all safe.

Stats
19433 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Buying a buck with an abscess UPDATE
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Buying a buck with an abscess UPDATE  (Read 140 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: August 29, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »

Not sure where to put this , but I have a question.

A lady I know and trust for having healthy clean goats has a 17 month old Boer buck . I was going to use her other one, but we breed at exactly the same time so he will be otherwise occupied.  She lent the buck in question out to someone and after he came back he had an abscess on his neck.

It was in the center of his neck on his right side.  She quarantined him and lanced the abscess and it was just pus. No core, or yellow gobs and it has healed just fine with scar tissue you can feel, but the hair has covered the place over again .
With all the issues with CL it is not something I want to bring in obviously, but he is a very nice buck and the abscess was not in a spot common for CL and could be nothing more than a splinter, puncture or the like.

If she hadn't mentioned it I would have not even known he had one.  I won't be breeding for 2 months yet so I have time.  Should I just wait and see if he has any more pop up??  Would you even consider him?

Advice please.  

I tried to get pictures on here off the emails she sent me, but it won't work.  If you want to see him and the spot of the abscess you can message me your email and I will forward it?

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:34:36 PM by Julie H » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 04:07:03 PM »

From the location I would venture to say it is NOT CL. Did she have the pus tested?
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 12:02:47 PM »

From the location I would venture to say it is NOT CL. Did she have the pus tested?

No-  she says she wished now that she did and I wish she had too!  

I am thinking like you are Nancy that it could be just an abscess from whatever causes abscesses,  but with CL that is the first thing everyone says and it makes me paranoid since I have zero experience with it.

If it was CL and she lanced it wouldn't the core be there with the stuff she got out?  It was obviously ripe and ready.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:20:54 PM by Julie H » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 05:55:11 PM »

I can't really see anything but then my eyes are bad, is it within his horn span? Is that where it is?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 07:04:51 AM »

Remember now...go back many years....Bweaver had a buck that had CL so bad that they came up all over his body.  She had only owned the poor little guy for one month when these began to come up even on his back.  She took that Buck to Cornell University.  They tested the buck and he even had CL inward and was suffering, so they put him down.

Without testing of the lump, I would not advise anyone to take the risk. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »

I can't really see anything but then my eyes are bad, is it within his horn span? Is that where it is?

To quote  parts of her emails she sent me.

"You can't see the scar tissue, but you can feel it. It is the middle "wrinkle" in this picture."

" The downside of Dirk is that I lent him out to breed this spring and he came home fine. However, in a few weeks I noticed a lump on his neck. I haven;t had it analyzed to be sure it was CL and when I lanced it, it didn't have the cottage cheesy look of CL, but it sure could have been. Anyway, I had him isolated and haven't seen any other signs of it in my herd. But, Dirk has some scar tissue on his neck. I don't know if that gives you pause."

"As I remember, the abscess was on the side. I don't know why the only remnant I can feel of it seems to be right in the middle. It's mystery to me too. Unless, the tissue that I can feel in the middle of his neck is another abscess. Hmmm. I wonder.. But why would I not feel anything on the side?  I will sure keep an eye on that and let you know."

I wasn't sure exactly where the middle wrinkle is?  

Does this help anyone's opinion?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »

Did anyone give him an injection at either farm? A lot of people give injections at that spot, which can cause an abscess.

He is not contagious without an open abscess, so even if he had it, he would be ok right now. It is very rare for a goat to get internal abscesses, so there is a good chance he would never get one, if he did have CL.

I guess someone could have a blood test taken. That would at least show if he had the antibodies for CL in his system. The test is noted for false positives, so if it shows him to be negative, he probably does not have it. Not as good as testing the pus, but at least it's something. If he has been vaccinated for CL, then he will be positive for CL even if he doesn't have it, so you would need to know beforehand if he was vaccinated for it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 04:39:03 PM by dragonlair » Logged

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 07:19:16 AM »

CL will rear it's ugly face when a goat is stressed.  Any life change, including from a pen they are use to, to a pen that they are unfamiliar with, can cause stress in a goat.  Once CL is in your land, it's there to stay.  Another member of this forum from years ago, (Candace), had CL in her land.  They did a big cleaning years after their bout with CL, using a bobcat.  Their goats hadn't shown any signs of CL or any episodes of it.  UNTIL, they cleaned that area with a bobcat and dug down into the ground, and then within 2 or 3 months, she had several goats have CL lumps. 

You can never tell with these things.  And Deb is right, as long as there isn't a lump, he's not contagious.  But CL can be tracked onto your land...this is why I made every one who came to my property to view goats, wear the boot covers.

It's up to you.  You know what risks you are comfortable with taking.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »

She didn't mention if he was vaccinated.  I will ask her.

Believe me I am not taking a chance with my girls.  The thing is anytime you buy a goat you are taking a chance.  You can only go off what you see at the time.  Knowing before hand almost makes it harder.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 06:18:52 AM »

It does make it harder to be a goat herder...your risks are so high with every thing.  Another reason we liked raising our breeders from babies...that way we knew what was in them and we knew how they were taken care of...but sometimes you have to buy pre-adult or adult animals to keep your lineage going.  I was so happy the day we finally got large enough that we didn't have to buy outside goats any more. I miss my goats so bad...but this area again, is not a goat area...it's all horses.  Some longhorns, but not nearly as many cattle as you would think there would be.  One day, I'll have some goats back again. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »

I really debated keeping 2 of my young boys  to use for breeding this year.  I just don't have the set up to do it here.  This being my in-laws place I just can't go rearranging things to suit me.  So I do what I can. Sigh....

Although as big as they got before they left,  I already may have used them unknowingly  Huh?  I hope not but will keep an eye out for any developing udders in Dec/ Jan.  Oh I hope not.........
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 06:46:22 AM »

Do you think if you spoke with your in laws that they might be in favor of you reorganizing a little to accommodate that?  Sure would save you a lot of worry and money in the long run.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 12:52:38 PM »

Do you think if you spoke with your in laws that they might be in favor of you reorganizing a little to accommodate that?  Sure would save you a lot of worry and money in the long run.

I have already taken over the existing barns which forced their camper to sit outside year round  Roll Eyes  My MIL doesn't like the big bucks.  The whole time they are here she asks " when is he leaving" ??
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »

UPDATE

I just put a deposit down on a  registered brown dappled buck  Smiley  The sellers are about 30 minutes from me and I have admired their "for sale" page for years!  Just  looking to see what might be out there and he had just been listed , so I called right away.

I will pick him up next month.

After thinking long and hard on it I just couldn't bring in the other buck with him not being tested and given a clean bill of health.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2017, 01:47:23 PM »

Wise move Julie, looking forward to his pics!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: