HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 01:57:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19694 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  hay substitute for older goat
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: hay substitute for older goat  (Read 115 times)
snic2goats
Bottle Babies

« on: September 01, 2017, 03:33:35 PM »

My 10 year old Nigerian dwarf goat is having trouble chewing timothy hay.   Problem seems to be in jaw teeth .  What should I feed that she is able to chew better ?  Appreciate any help.  Living in Alaska there is not much choice in hay.Thanks
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 05:16:02 PM »

Soaked beet pulp, complete feed made for horses, Chaffhaye, alfalfa pellets, hay replacer pellets, bagged hay like stuff- Dengie or Lucerne Farms makes it. Not sure if you can find any of those up there, though.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 06:07:52 AM »

I fed my senior goats, the Purina Equine Senior.  You can put a small amount of warm water on it and it will become really soft and easy to chew...it's a complete feed with the hay inside of it.  It's really a good food for goats...however, be prepared, it's not cheap.  I also bought at Tractor Supply the dehydrated Timothy hay (they also have dehydrated Alfalfa hay as well), you add warm water to it, allow it to soak for a little while and its soft and easy for them to chew.  I also added some cattle glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM to our senior goats feed, helps to keep those joints in good shape.  Past that, that's all I gave my Seniors and they did pretty good on it. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 01:13:51 PM »

The senior horse feed ( complete feed with added roughage) bagged alfalfa or timothy works well.   Before you soak the feed make sure she will eat it soaked, some don't like it wet and I wouldn't want to waste it.

as mentioned none of it is cheap, but 1 smaller goat shouldn't be too bad.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: