HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 09:29:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19532 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Elaina update 11-8
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Elaina update 11-8  (Read 926 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: September 14, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »

She is 13+ years old and had 2 whoppers this year ( buck and doe)  I have been giving her 2 16 oz containers of feed each morning and evening.  She cleans it up.

I sold the doe first but the buck was still here nursing and she ate fine.  2 weeks ago I took my boys to the sale and I noticed her feed intake dropped a bit ( leaving some behind).

Then she stopped eating it completely??  I mix it myself and every other goat on the place continued to devour it so I know the feed was fine.

After 2 days of that I gave her some 12% all stock feed ( sweet feed)  I have for the horses and so far she eats it with gusto.

What gives??

It is no big deal and she has earned the place here to be catered to and babied, but why go off of her normal feed suddenly?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 12:49:42 PM by Julie H » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »

She is grieving. I'd give her a day or two of  B complex and probiotics. How's her water intake?
No all stock if it's a sudden change.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:02:28 AM »

I think she is grieving as well.

Prince did this all the time.  He would go off his feed, and eat other stuff but not eat his feed at all.

If you can, try her on some Purina Equine Senior.  It's a full rounded feed, and higher in protein than All Stock and you can mix a tad of warm water with it and make a mash type meal for her. 

Again, sudden changes can cause all kinds of issues, but if she's been off the other feed for more than 5 days, then just slowly give her back a new grain..meaning don't give her the full ration of feed she would be getting.

All stock isn't high enough in protein for her, so we need to get that protein back up.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 01:23:02 PM »

She is eating and drinking fine.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:32:07 PM by Julie H » Logged
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 01:24:17 PM »

It would be unlike her to grieve when her kids go, but maybe in her old age she has gotten sentimental.  

I have already gotten her up to her usual amount with the all stock feed ( it has been a week) and am adding BOSS to it and so far she is continuing to clean it up.

I wonder if my feed which has cracked corn, oats and alfalfa pellets had suddenly become to hard for her to chew or uncomfortable to chew?  She does quid hay sometimes.  The all stock is definitely softer.

I can try the textured grower/ developer they have there.  It is very similar in look and ingredients but has a higher protein at 16%.  I tried it once a few years ago and remember it was softer too.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 01:33:13 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 05:45:49 AM »

Given her age, I'd say she's having difficulty retaining body fat as well.  The reason I like the Purina Equine Senior is it was also high in fat, and helped Prince maintain his body fat and muscle from the higher protein.  Senior goats, tend to loose condition extremely fast.  Prince did this "on again" "off again" with his food all the time.  Drove me insane.  He would go 2 weeks at a time without eating and not a thing I could find wrong with him.  Goats the age of your girl, they are seriously very old...8 years is their life span..and she's 13 and just weaned babies.  It's time she was pampered a lot. haha.  Wink Grin

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »

I agree!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »

Those Senior horse feeds are good stuff. I prefer the Blue Seal ones, but they all are pretty equal.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »

I bought a bag of senior feed today to try on her.  I will mix it with her current all stock and see if she leaves any behind.  It is all pelleted so hopefully she will eat it good.  She does NOT like crumbs or powder I've noticed.

It is Nutrena brand.  I was too lazy to drive across town to the Purina dealer and will probably kick myself since I like Purina feeds.  If she doesn't eat this I will try the Purina Equine senior or Junior feed next.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:25:39 PM by Julie H » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 01:57:33 PM »

Yeah they don't like the powdery stuff. At least mine don't.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 06:02:51 AM »

Mine hated the powder stuff too...except the mineral...it would sift to the bottom of their dishes, and they would lick that dish clean for that mineral if they really wanted more mineral...if not they would walk away and leave the mineral in the bottom...when I collected up the dishes, I would note who left mineral, and who didn't, and when I refilled the dishes at night time feeding that goat would get that same dish back that she left mineral in.  The others would get more mineral in their dishes if they cleaned their dishes up.

I do really like that Purina Equine Senior feed.  It is pellet feed which I'm not a fan of man made feeds, but Prince had to have something...so this was better than nothing and that crazy fool loved that stuff.  He got it both ways, with and without the tiny amount of warm water...the warm water makes it really soft, almost like a mash...but even without it, the pellets are soft and easy to chew. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 01:55:38 PM »

She is eating it all so I will just stick with it for now.  I don't wet it as she can chew it fine and I am not sure she would like it moistened since that would make it mushy?  Anyways she waits for it eagerly  Smiley
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »

Why do ya'll buy horse feed when it is as expensive as P Noble here?  I don't think the formulation as a whole, is as good as a complete feed. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 05:43:04 AM »

Horse feed was given to goats, long, LONG before goat feed was ever made.  I personally do not like "man made" feeds.  To much bacteria, or junk goes into the production of the a pelleted feed.  You do realize that the pelleted feeds are made from the lesser quality grains (that couldn't be used in textured feeds), or left over grains that hit the mill floor and could have tons of other types of  grain supplements (not so good for goats), or grains that are old, or have been wet in the combining of them.  Man made products are not as good as you think they are.  Any thing man made can be man messed up.  I don't trust them.  I had to feed Prince the pelleted feed because of his teeth, and the ability to soak it and make it soft for him.  But I'd rather stick with the textured grains and know I'm feeding something more natural for them.  Grains are easily damaged in processing...heat will spoil grain...think about it...moonshine is made from corn, and wheat and barely...spoil that and guess what you've got?  A DRUNK GOAT!!!  Grin ROLF ROLF goat  A good 16% horse grain with BOSS added and you've got a well rounded diet for your goats. 

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »

I don't fault your logic on the P.Equine, Senior feed; however, it is almost twice the price of P. Noble, and more than the Purina, Show, Goat feed.  You gals have dollars to spend than little ole me, and I will have to stay with the now, $16 a bag of Noble, and a dab of BOSS.
 I can't get my goats to eat minerals.  I place with feed, and hey leave on bottom of container.  I feed the
Sweetlix minerals, for meat goats, they do better on this than others.  They will not eat Purina minerals, and I
am trying the Manna Pro minerals, with little success.
 I remember back in the days, that my granddad fed all stock corn stalks, and ears of corn. Hardly any grain.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: