HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:05:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19694 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Elaina update 11-8
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Elaina update 11-8  (Read 274 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 01:26:13 PM »

I don't fault your logic on the P.Equine, Senior feed; however, it is almost twice the price of P. Noble, and more than the Purina, Show, Goat feed.  You gals have dollars to spend than little ole me, and I will have to stay with the now, $16 a bag of Noble, and a dab of BOSS.
 I can't get my goats to eat minerals.  I place with feed, and hey leave on bottom of container.  I feed the
Sweetlix minerals, for meat goats, they do better on this than others.  They will not eat Purina minerals, and I
am trying the Manna Pro minerals, with little success.
 I remember back in the days, that my granddad fed all stock corn stalks, and ears of corn. Hardly any grain.

At $ 16.00 Noble is the same price of any Senior feed I have available and at least (in the past)  it was medicated and I don't like giving unneeded meds. My girls eat minerals out of a container I keep in their common area.  If I put it on the feed they too leave it all at the bottom.  I guess they get what they need.

My goats won't eat corn stalks  Huh?  My FIL threw a huge bunch in thinking it would be a treat.  They ate the ears of corn that were left down to the nub and I had to haul out all the stalks .

Elaina didn't eat all her grain this AM.  Eating hay just fine.  I guess sometimes she isn't as hungry?  When you guys wet the pellets how much do you put on them?  Maybe they were too hard?
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »

ETA :    Charles I actually don't have the abundant cash to buy senior feed!  This goat is one of the the first ones I bought and she has given me awesome kids every year for the last 11 years with never an off day.  I kind of think I owe her a little pampering, at least I am going to try.  The Lord provides Wink
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:30:48 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 03:06:20 PM »

Senior pellets are very soft. They are extruded using the same machines and technology they use to make cold cereal for humans!

It may take her a few days to get used to eating it.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 05:32:15 AM »

When I wet Princes down, I just dribbled really super hot water onto it...it takes very little water to soften it.  By the time I made it to the pasture with his food, the hot water had already cooled down.  Prince liked it either way...there were times he wanted it dry, and times he wanted it moist...but most the time he wanted it moist.  If he wouldn't eat the moist, I put pull that dish of food, toss it away and give him 1/2 his ration in dry food.  If he didn't eat that, then I knew we were in for one of those "I don't want to eat" deals that would last for weeks at times.  He went 2 weeks without eating one time.  I had literally given up on trying to find things he would eat.   When I prayed for him that morning, he had gotten really weak from not eating or drinking.  I had shoved about every thing you could imagine down his throat and injected him so many times, that it was time to stop.  I knew he was dying, and it was only a matter of time.  That morning when I went out and he wouldn't eat again, I sat there and said "Prince, you have to want to live."  I prayed over him as I stroked his head.  God sent me a message right then and right there.  He said to me "try some cucumbers chunks, carrot chunks, spinach leaves"  So I went to town and got all those things and low and behold, he ate that with gusto.  Good thing I bought a lot of it.  He had that for 3 days and then I mixed a little pellet feed with it, and he at that, then I mixed a little more pellet feed the next morning, and he ate that, then I mixed less cucumber, carrot, and spinach and more pellet feed and he ate that, and finally he was eating all his pellet feed again.  I did have to shred those carrots though..they are too hard for old goat teeth.

Get your girl going on some B-complex, and the one I found I really truly like more than B-complex is the Maxi B-1000...it's given every other day, and that is powerful stuff.  Then get some probiotic...try her on some yogurt...preferably one with Black berries in it.  Try frozen black berries, frozen raspberries...Prince loved those.  Try cooked oatmeal laced with raisins and brown sugar or molasses.  Try giving her some warm molasses water see how she does with that.  Try combinations of things.  I had to do that so many times with Prince that it wasn't even funny.  Ritz Crackers seem to snap him out of what ever it was he was going through faster than any thing.

The day Prince died, he wasn't eating and hadn't been eating for a day before he passed...but when he was given a Ritz cracker, he ate that even though he was dying. 

Yes, they are old, and yes they are special, and yes, they do need to be given some tender loving care for all they have done for us and given us.  Very well said Julie.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 06:44:22 AM »

Julie, the $ remark on feed was in levity----Yes, God will provide when we walk in His ways.  I would use the non medicated if Noble had it; however, I just never looked into the horse products, as they were more expensive (the Purina products), but this morning I see that TSC has a Dumor, Eqistages, feed , at $12.99, with Biotin added, which I like for the hooves, and I have witnessed the good of Biotin.  The Purina , Senior feed is much more in cost, and I also like the added copper in the Dumor, horse feed. I will look into this this morning, and may have to try some of this , as it is a complete feed as well.   
 Mrs. Guru, Pam-- I never doubt your wisdom of goats, however, I don't have a Ponderosa either!!!   Yehaw  LOL
I am glad things are better at your home.  I can't get one of the smileys to attach for levity.
 I learned something new today, as I keep having trouble with galvanized, water tank staying filthy, and learned it can cause a nitrate ( I think was name) poisoning over time.  Got to get another Rubbermaid 20 gallon size.  I have the 50 gallon size, but waste a lot of water to clean often.  Ya'll have a great day.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »

Yes, they are old, and yes they are special, and yes, they do need to be given some tender loving care for all they have done for us and given us.  Very well said Julie.

Thank you.

Yesterday night she turned her nose up at the "senior feed" and the "all stock feed"  but gobbled up the feed I mix  Huh?  I tell you this pampering isn't going to be easy!!

This morning I put a tub of each feed mix in her " eating place" and she chose the senior/all stock.  I guess that is what I am going to have to do .  Goat smorgasbord.  Whatever works.

Thankfully she always eats hay  Smiley
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 06:10:55 PM »

I see the formula of P. Senior feed is good; however, do ya'll not add AC for the boys?
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 06:29:03 PM »

"Goat Smorgasbord" You figured it out! laugh
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 07:55:02 PM »

OUCH, you gals are rough!!!!!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 06:29:34 AM »

I see the formula of P. Senior feed is good; however, do ya'll not add AC for the boys?

Nope, I don't add AC for any of the boys.  I will leave out a little Apple Cider Vinegar water, and if they need it they will drink it.  I don't medicate any animal for something they don't need.  I know it's a "preventative" but I don't use it, and have never once had a case of U.C. in "my" goats.  I have seen others with it.  My thoughts on U.C. is and maybe be a little crazy, but I believe with all my heart that U.C. is a genetic thing.  We've had hundreds upon hundreds into the thousands of boys on our farm...not one got U.C.  not one was ever given AC.  All were feed the same grain as all my livestock was given.  All were given the same minerals and copper that all the other goats were getting.  I know the balance of the ratio's...but I never even figured that up with my grain mix.  Maybe God watched over my goats and protected them from my stupidity...I don't know...but I believe in letting the goats natural immune system thrive and take care of itself...I am totally in favor of enhancing the goats natural immune system though.

Charles you have Kiko's...you don't need all that stuff.  Your pocket book would thank you greatly if you just go all natural with those goats.  You don't need all this hoof enhancement stuff with Kiko's...they have good strong hooves naturally.  Kiko's are virtually resilient animals.  I can understand if you need to do that with your Boer Doe (btw, she doesn't need AC), but your genemasters, and kiko's, you shouldn't have to be giving them additives for preventions.  Unless you're feeding those boys way too much calcium.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »

I also have never done anything special for my boys.  They eat whatever I am feeding .  Even when my hay was mostly alfalfa,  I never had a buck young or old have an issue with UC.

I like to keep things simple  Smiley
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 12:49:15 PM »

Thought I would post an update.

Elaina is eating everything in sight!  Once the buck was put in she started cleaning up her grain.  I mix the all stock and the feed I mix and top dress it with some BOSS. She has gained back the weight she lost due to being " picky" and looks really good and seems quite happy and full of herself again....  I am so relieved.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »

Pam, in reply to post #24, I was having a split hoof in my Kiko buck, and he was limping a lot.  I had the Vet to come by, and he had a long, edged, stone in his foot, and was infected/and a split.  I used the Hoof supplement with Biotin to correct this , and it worked.  I am back on P. Noble,  with some Alfalfa pellets, and some BOSS.  He is fine now, and has a slick coat.  I have been reading to use Flax seed, instead of the BOSS, due to the problem with I think it was about Omega 6, and no Omega 3.  I know it is good for the coat in animals, and humans as well.
 l tried the horse feed, and all my goats had poop like golf balls, and I slowly changed the feed. It was too rich for my goats.  I am staying with P. Noble, Sweet Lix minerals, (gonna try the Flax seed), pasture, and hay.  My goats are second to none, and my wt. gain ration, with this mating, is outstanding (Kiko/Boer).  I have all my goats registered now, and I may do like Pam, sell with ear tags, and give info as to what to tatoo in ears, unless I can get some help .
 I  wish I could get my goats to drink the ACV, with Mother.  They do not like the taste.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 05:56:17 AM »

Charles, the goats will only drink the ACV water when they need the ACV.  Ours wouldn't drink theirs very often either.  If we mixed it too strong, then some would walk away from it constantly, where others would devour it more than if I mixed it weaker.  Fickle things...  Roll Eyes laugh

I guess I was either lucky or truly blessed, because our goats, cows, horses, chickens and hogs all got my feed mix, and not one ever had any trouble with any of our feed.  The only thing I had happen to us which was SUPER SUPER BAD, was when I gave the horse the goat mineral...OMG, that was almost the death of both of them.  The other similar reaction we had, was when I gave our cattle mineral to the goats.  Both were suggested to me through Goatweb when it was up and going...and I swear, I will NEVER EVER do that again.  Live and learn.

Our boys did fine on whatever the others were eating on, baby boys to baby girls was about equal ratios.  103 head of goats, 7 head of horses, 4 head of hogs, and 25 head of chickens, and 25 head of cattle, survived my stupidity...lol.  I didn't look at ratio's, I didn't worry about AC in the boys feed, no additives for preventions except the ACV water...but that also keeps lice, mites, and bugs off them, so that's a dual thing.  But any way...our babies grew just as fast without creep feeding as the ones eating from a dish two times daily. 

We just didn't do all this stuff that others are doing.  By the grace of God, I suppose ours survived us. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: