HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 11:08:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19857 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Stressed out goats!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Stressed out goats!  (Read 213 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: September 30, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »

The lean to off the goat barn has completely rotten wood and the roof leaks when it rains.  My sons and husband started demolition on Wednesday.   Now keep in mind this is where the hay feeders are and where the girls spend the majority of their time ( when not out grazing)  this is their SAFE PLACE.  Now they spend all their time freaking out during this work.  They run in , see the guys, hear a drill and flood back out again. 

I keep telling them it will all be worth it when the new and non-leaking roof is on and we don't have to worry about a strong wind or heavy snow bringing it down on them, but they are not convinced Roll Eyes  When they see me I get a chorus of complaints and they all gather round me for comfort ( until something sets them off again).

Thank goodness it is nice weather.  They have the actual barn to get into if need be but I can't feed hay in there.  I hope they get done quickly.  I hate renovations.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 06:31:32 AM »

Grin Grin  That's too funny.  They get so use to a routine, and any thing different causes them to really spaze out.  Once long ago, when we were building our horse stalls onto the barn, we had the pygmys and a bottle baby Nubian Wether.  We were running drills, hammers, saws of all sorts, carrying lumber and making all kinds of loud noises.  The Pygmys were use to being where ever I was at, and we all know how bonded a bottle baby goat can get to it's human.  One day I was up on the ladder, installing insulation, and here they came...screaming to the top of their lungs, running around the barn in circles baa'ing and carrying on.  I yelled at the girls (pymgys), and they looked up and calmed right down, but that bottle baby he just ran around and around and around that barn (a 45 x 65 barn), screaming and the more I yelled at him "Bucky, I'm up here!" the louder he got and more frantic he became.  I came down two steps on the ladder where he could actually see me as he ran past that stall, and I yelled again "Bucky, I'm right here look up", and oh my goodness you thought the sky was falling....He panic'd so bad that I had to come off the ladder and go get him myself.  Oh man, if you could have seen his relief when he saw me, it was totally priceless.  I picked him up and he cried and told me off and finally just settled down and sucked on my chin...hahaha.   Grin Grin

They just don't realize Momma, that their new digs will be grand and glorious.  Maybe take a chair out there and sit with them while work is being done, sing a song or take a radio out with you, or even a few tiny treats for each one, they need to see momma calm and collected and comforting them and showing them all will be fine...they'll calm down soon.  Take some hay and spread it out a little ways away from the construction, so they see the noises and the movement won't hurt them.

Goats are wonderful animals, but they can't stand changes.  hahaha  Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »

Oh Pam you had me rolling with your hilarious description!

Everybody here must be numb slow or apathetic cause noise doesnt bother them after the initial start up.
We have problems with extra "help".  Roll Eyes
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 02:04:37 PM »

That is funny Birdie  Grin

Normally we would be "blessed" with unwanted help, but I guess this is just too much.   They should start on the tin later today.  They better get going, rain is forecast for Wednesday :gtrdn:

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:28:31 PM »

We always had too much help...they would do every thing you didn't want them to do and more.  God forbid you sat down to put a screw in, or jack something up to a level position, because they would tug your clothes or pull your hair or jump on your back or push your bum until you fell over...cleaning stalls was the worst...jumping in the wheel barrow, or dump wagon or getting on the 4 wheeler, or just plain protesting a pitch fork or shovel with antics of "You better not come close to me!!" and give that stance of "I'll beat you up!!"

And Lord forgive them, if you didn't show them attention for all their help, you got BELLOWED AT VERY LOUDLY!!! 

Spoiled rotten goats!!

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 01:20:24 PM »

I can't even put my wheelbarrow inside the pen to clean because someone will always push it over ( only when full of course).  I have to lift all the soiled hay and stuff over the fence into the wheelbarrow  Angry

We got half the tin on last night and will have the rest done after the boys get off work and home from school.   The sheets of tin are 23 feet long and wouldn't you know the wind started gusting but with all of us working it wasn't bad.

They have rain starting on Wednesday through the weekend so we couldn't have timed it better. 
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »

Glad you have plenty human help!

What fun is an empty wheelbarrow?  Grin

The other day I had to get spent hay out of there. I brought in the cart that has a one piece handle. Before I even started one of the younger does jumped right in to take a nap.
So I decided to fill the buck's mineral feeder instead.  For this you have to reach over the fence to get the cap off.
He comes right over & butts it, knocking it sideways. Well I can't do anything while he's doing that.
So I get little doe out of cart & begin filling it.
Meantime Cal is having a great time telling me he needs minerals while he's making the horrible racket of the feeder going every way but loose.
I go get the minerals but he has not moved away from his fun.
Doe now has her head through the handle & shoo her out before she can spill it.
It's tough wheeling it out uphill with one hand on the cart & the other opening the gate with her right by my side trying to follow me.
I manage to get feeder upright & pour minerals but Cal knocks it again & there goes  half the minerals before the cap gets back on.   Roll Eyes
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 05:58:27 AM »

Man power is a wonderful thing!!   The Man  I'm so happy you'll have that done before the storm hits.  It's gonna be a doozie for sure.  Missouri needs the rain though, from what I understand from my family and friends in Sedalia and in California.  This will make the winter rye come up real good now.  Winter pastures will be lush and plentiful.

Nancy...ya know, one year, Shane and I were out in the fields giving every one their wormer and delousing them, and we just walked out with our medications, and treatments and they would walk up, get a animal cracker, and then wormer, then delousing treatment, and then another animal cracker.  Shane says "How do people with wild goats get this job done?"  Well I can see the havoc and chaos that they go through, from working the cattle for years who were not rouge but were leery of us..some of them were extremely hard to work from being so wild, but we managed with head gates/chutes.  With goats, we bought that goat chute...the noise of it scared the crap out of them, and it was harder to get them to go down the isle way than it was to just walk out there and do our thing with them.  The bucks horns were too big to go through the isle way, and too wide to get into the head gate, so that thing became a nursery/birthing area real quick, but it was for sure a really nice set up.  Tame goats are the only way to go.  They are a major pain in the butt when it comes to working, but when it comes to needing to do something with them, it's the ONLY WAY TO GO.

We just went out and trimmed hooves right there in the pasture...we didn't bring them in unless they were ticklish about having hooves trimmed...then we tied them to the fence with a goat halter or dog collar...and went to town on them...I love tame goats.  Made it easier to work them by myself.  I did however ask myself with the 103 head, "what the h-e-double hocky sticks am I doing with this many goats??"   Cuter For Sale goat

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 02:01:05 PM »

Nancy you must have goats related to mine! 

Birdie  did you mark them after you dewormed and trimmed them?   How would you remember who you already did??  We have a paper we write on and they even try to eat that and the pen!

It started raining today instead  Grin
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 05:35:34 AM »

Well we didn't have to really...the delouse was oil based, so you cold see that on their backs.

Since all our goats didn't run the same pastures together, it was easier remembering who had been done and who hadn't.  We tried to start with the babies who were old enough first, and then work our way to the oldest of the group.

Man I tell ya, we got a rain storm yesterday that dumped about 5 to 6 inches of rain...filled my pool right up.  So there's more coming at you Julie.  Did they get the roof done before the rain hit?  Could they tarp it if they didn't?

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 01:33:58 PM »

WE got it done on Monday night so no need to tarp!  5-6 inches would be nice if spread out over a couple of weeks.  Why can't we get a normal rain anymore?  We either get nothing or a deluge!

How do you un-fill your pool?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 05:36:43 AM »

I'm glad you got it done...working with tin, in wind and rain and then add lightening to that and that's plum dangerous.

This rain came down slow at times, and then down pours at times...started in the middle of the night and went all day into the next night.  So it wasn't too bad.  When the pool fills up really high (like what happened in Harvey), we turn the drain hose on and drain it out, but it's got a level line, that if it goes over that, it drains itself out, down to that line.  The water just seeps into our yard.  You can barely tell it's even doing it.  When we run the drain hose, that's when you see a lot of water.  It's a 20,000 gallon pool, so it's not as big as a lot of pools are, but it's not tiny either.  The deep end is 9 foot deep, the shallow end is 3 foot deep.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 10:45:27 AM »

We are in a drought, more or less. Peoples wells are starting to dry. My horse pasture and dog yard are so dusty whenever they walk it's like a dust storm. Makes it very hard to keep the horses water tub clean.

We had a horribly wet sparing/early summer, didn't think it would ever dry up. But it did! lol

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »

We are dry too.  Pastures are dry.  you know it is dry when you let them out to pasture and they come in to eat hay.  We have gotten a little rain, but not a lot.  It is greening up though, I am always amazed how fast that happens.

I hope you get some much needed rain too,
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 06:23:52 PM »

Glad you got that roof on!  Afro
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: