HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 06:08:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19754 Posts in 1408 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Not sure what to do
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Not sure what to do  (Read 233 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »

When I sold my Pygmy buck the guy also bought my nubianX and her daughter( sired by a Pygmy) .  He was starting his own herd and wanted to breed Kinders.  Those 2 does weren't textbook for the cross but I am sure he had no problem selling them up in MN.  There was a good market up there, but unlike your state Dragon, hay and row crop was abundant .
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »

Well, my hand has been forced, I need to cut back for financial reasons. I have a section of my house were the people who built the addition (in the 60's I think) really messed it up. Somehow no one noticed it on the pre buy inspection (I have my own thoughts on that one) and it's been a nightmare ever since. Anyway, they put in a foundation but didn't build on the entire foundation, but covered it with a couple of pieces of plywood and some rolled roofing. Come to find out, they didn't even waterproof the edges where it meets the existing building. I tried to repair it but it was too far gone. The heavy water from the fire didn't help. I had a friend who promised to help me with it for the past 3 years, but he always had an excuse not to actually do it.

So, it collapsed during the last big rain. My basement in now totally open on that 1 area, and my kitchen wall is exposed to the outside with only the aluminum siding protecting the inside from the outside. Everything else is rotted.

Now I need to cut back so I can afford to get some help for the house. Of course it had to happen in the FALL (how ironic, huh?) instead of the spring. I would have had my son home if it had lasted a few more months to help with labor. Now I have to figure out how to cover that gaping hole until i can find someone who can fix it and not charge me an arm and a leg. I have saved a little bit towards fixing it and my plumbing but I doubt it will be enough. Sad 

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 01:16:01 PM »

Would a big heavy tarp protect your exposed kitchen wall and open basement?      I can't imagine what you are going through and having no one to help you. My FIL, BIL and oldest son are Carpenters by trade and my husband is very handy , I take it for granted that when something breaks or needs fixing it just gets fixed.    I hope you can get the help you need at an affordable rate and have a long warm fall.

Which goats are going?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 05:24:05 AM »

Deb, have you ever checked into Habitat for Humanity?  It's just a thought and maybe find some volunteers who help build those to help you with your project.  Area churches are sometimes available to help as well.  Worth checking into.  As Julie mentioned about the only thing you can do without spending money on boarding it up is to use a heavy duty tarp, and maybe some insulation on the kitchen side.

Which goats did you select to keep?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »

The 2 Mini Nubians are leaving tomorrow. Cry Still trying to decide if I want to go with just Manchas or Nubians along with the Nigerians.

There is, unfortunately, nothing to attach a tarp to. It had been covered by one since last fall when a friend was supposed to come help me, my oldest son, his girlfriend and her brother and 2 college friends do the work. He never showed up, and none of the rest of us had to experience to do the work, so it got cancelled until this year. Again, it didn't happen. Sad Sad

I'm going to see if I can somehow wedge cedar poles or something to hold up plywood over the gaping hole in the overhang thing and deal with the kitchen wall from the inside.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 06:45:36 PM »

Like Pam said maybe stop in at the nearest Baptist church and see if they can help? Or they might direct you to some people who can. I promise they won't demand your conversion in return.....
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 04:46:57 AM »

I wonder why that gentleman is putting you off that way?  He said he would help...does he know how bad it is now?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2017, 10:12:15 AM »

Oh, yeah. He said that it is beyond what he can do. Of course, it wasn't 3 years ago when I first asked him for help.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: