HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:09:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19694 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Meat Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Meet my new Boer Buck "REBEL"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Topic: Meet my new Boer Buck "REBEL"  (Read 381 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 05:32:55 AM »

I just remember the other one in Missouri that's reputable...it's in St. James, Missouri.  Mexico, Missouri is about the best for goats.  Just about all my family and my friends that owns goats in Central Missouri takes them there.

I suppose I was lucky, or a good sales woman...typically if a buck left the farm, he left with a companion (usually another buck that they were going to castrate and use as a companion for the buck they were buying).  I made some good deals to folks on percentage bucks if they took a companion with them.

I did have some "meat" buyers come to the farm and offer me ridiculously low prices on two of my prize bucklings.  I wasn't about to except their offer, nor was I about to sell to someone I knew (admitted to me) was going to kill them to eat.  I had a lot of time and money wrapped up in those boys, and I darn sure wasn't going to sell them to be killed.  Had a buyer here in Texas call me when I was in Arkansas who asked to buy all my Kiko bucklings (even the genemasters and higher percentage Kiko's--they didn't want my PB or FB Boers).  He did tell me what he was going to do with them after I told him my prices per goat....I absolutely refused to sell to him and told him "there's no way in h*ll you'll get one of my goats."  I was furious with that man by the time we got off the phone.

I did train a few for therapy goats...Taddy being one of them...I sold 2 to be human companion goats, and kept Taddy.  That helps sometimes...depending on the need of your area. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »

I am about 25 minutes from St James and have never heard of an auction there.  It must no longer be in business.  The man I bought my buck from goes to Salem MO and says he gets good prices there.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 05:19:49 AM »

OMG...St. James use to be the biggest auction around for cattle and horses...before I left they were doing goats/sheep as well.  But I've been gone since 2001, so it's been a long time.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:48 PM »

OMG...St. James use to be the biggest auction around for cattle and horses...before I left they were doing goats/sheep as well.  But I've been gone since 2001, so it's been a long time.

They have a small animal swap in St James and a horse Auction in Rolla but that is all.  Maybe they relocated to Salem??
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 06:04:32 PM »

What do you gals sell your weaned kids for these days?  I have never sold any, and only have registered Genemasters.  Mine are with National, as it is less expensive, and easier today.  What are some approx prices in your area for nice, weaned, kids (Genemasters) (Boer/Kiko).  Mine are heavy boned, and good conformation.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 05:32:59 AM »

Now this has been years ago Charles...but not so long ago either.  I sold my 4 month old buckling commercial babies for 250.00 each.  Registered went from 300.00 on 50/50 Boki's.  If the kid was higher percentage, the price went up.  My FB Boers (especially the SA Boers) went way higher. The 100% NZ Kiko's and PB Kiko's fetched higher prices than that...never under 1000.00 each, and that was at 4 months old.  Our bloodlines commanded that higher price.  We got that higher price.  I sold one PB Kiko buckling (his name was Morgan) that was to die for gorgeous all the way around, body, color and bloodline for 5000.00.  His Daddy was Roady.  His grand sire was Oberon, his other grand sire was Brick, and his Mother was a Goliath daughter.  The bloodline on that years kids was the best we had ever bred up.  My babies didn't sell cheap. 

Back in 08 when I left Arkansas, Kiko's were in their prime, fetching top dollar.  BoCephus (our SA Boer Buck) had just came into the breeding program, and we also had Timmy's son's who were extremely awesome (Timmy was our Rogue buck that hurt Taddy and went to slaughter)...Not one kid out of them went for less than 300.00 commercial all the way to 2000.00 registered.  BoCephus's Daddy at the registered Boer Auction brought 23,000.00, and his mother sold for 28,000.00.  There was no way I would except any thing less for his kids.

It all depends on your buyers, your area, and who's willing to pay for what you've got.  Our blessing was that I never bred a goat to have babies that I wasn't willing or able to keep if they didn't sell.  I refused to sell to buyers that I didn't trust or think would give them good homes.  Rambo and Thunder stuck around until they were almost yearlings and I did that on purpose...those two were so good, that I wanted to see how they turned out with the best I could put into them, and they were more than awesome boys.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 07:29:19 AM »

Thanks, that is my problem.  I want to see just how good these boys turn out.  The kids from my Kiko/Boer cross are so good, it is hard to  decide.  Good bone, conformation, and muscles.  I am like you Pam, I would just have this cross, with reg. animals, and only does.  I would AI them all, and no problems with the bucks.  Well, you learn as you go.  My problem is time is running out to handle them all.  My OCD prevents me from just having goats, then have to be the best, and make my front pasture look good!!  Yehaw
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 01:00:40 PM »

The big bodied registered Boers are priced from $ 500-$1200  around here.

Kikos seem to go for $ 400 and up.   Now what they actually get is another story.

I can't find any big name breeders on the internet here doing the cross between the 2.

So I would guess if your boys are registered and worthy of being a herd sire you can start where you feel is best. If you get no sales you know you are not priced right.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »

I  used the weight tape for goats today, and my Genemaster boys were 31 inches.  You can look at tape yourselves, and see they were gaining about 1 lb per day.  They are 90 days old on 27th.  Try that for a NZ Kiko buck at 90 days.  The crosses from good sire and dam, look like a Boer in shoulders and flanks, with thick legs and have good feet.  I like the way the muscles ripple just at bottom of neck, and beginning of shoulder.   I did feed mine P. Noble, as well as nursing their mom.  They will look great in my front pasture!!  I just wish they had been girls, as  I would never sell them.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2017, 05:33:19 AM »

Some buyers will come on your farm and think you're absolutely nuts asking that price.  Well we are nuts of course, or we wouldn't be in that business...Livestock is a crap shoot...one year fetching high prices and the next you can't give them away...but one thing you can do...is supply your dinner table and you have to ask yourself "what's that worth to me?"  I had one buyer that wouldn't take "he's not for sale" for an answer.  He kept hounding me about buying Prince.  I kept telling him "he's not for sale".  Prince was a double registered Genemaster.  Of course you all know my Prince...the man of the world.  Prince was an Oberon Son.  His first born in fact.  He wasn't for sale for no amount of money.  Well this guy says to me..."if he was for sale, what would his price be?" and I said $10,000.00 not a dime less.  He says to me "what makes him so special?" and I said his bloodline can't be gotten back, so he's irreplaceable, and I'm not selling.  He says to me "I think I can go that amount on him." and I said "the price just went to 20k" and we laughed. 

That man did indeed leave with Andy...one of my 75% Kiko 25% Boer bucklings.  He also left with Manny, who was another 75% Kiko 25% Boer, and was going to castrate him and use him as a companion for Andy.  Manny was nice, but not what I'd keep as a top of the line breeder...he would have been great for a commercial herd, but not a good registered herd.  His horns were too much Boer and not enough Kiko...made him look odd.  He had a gorgeous triangular shaped head though, and very nice body and lots of color to go with it all...so he was a nice looker and tame as a kitten.  Andy on the other hand was Brick, Oberon, Goliath, BoJangles baby....he was packed inside of packed.  Gorgeous animal. 

Most of my sells were to out of state people.  I never let my buyers down...when they called, and asked what I had, I sent pictures, sent bloodlines and DNA testing results...When they made the trip to the farm, they left with more than what they came for.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »

You were just a gooooooooood gal, for sure!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: