HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 16, 2018, 03:07:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19825 Posts in 1417 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Mean Girls
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Mean Girls  (Read 132 times)
Pat
Caprine Guru

« on: October 22, 2017, 02:10:46 PM »

Two of our doelings (one 3 years old, one about 18 months) have ganged up over the last day or so, and are beating the stuffing out of one of my twin wethers (5 years old.)  They've all always been together, and with the exception of the temperatures, absolutely nothing (that I know of) has changed.  The two girls haven't been best buddies, but seem to share a mid- to low-level spot in our tiny heard (six goats.)  Nobody's bred, and there isn't an intact buck for miles.  Poor old Beans looks confused and a little scared, and I can't blame him.  Any thoughts on what might be going on?  Or on what Beans might have done to make the girls so mad?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 02:22:16 PM »

Are the girls starting to come in heat for the season and going after the wether because he either isn't doing what they need him to do, or was sniffing around either before or just after they were in a standing heat?

Herd dynamics change, also, as animals age and get stronger or weaker. The girls may have decided they want to come up in status and are challenging the poor guy in the process of doing so.

Maybe if you separated the 2 trouble makers from the herd for a week or 2 they will have calmed down when re-introduced into the herd.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 09:57:37 PM »

The twin boys (Butter and Beans) have been seriously interested in cycling girls since the older doelings first came home.  They make silly noises, leave there tongues hanging out, and try to mount the girls, although I have never seen an extended penis...this has been going on for about 2.5 years, and no one has been impregnated yet, so I have to guess that their castrations were complete.  They don't do the other buck-like things (get ornery, or urinate on their beards, but they have high hopes, apparently.)  Maybe you're right, the girls are just frustrated and p-o'ed.

Wonder if I should check under their loafing bench for hidden copies of PlayGoat, or other girlie mags?

Seriously, the 3 year old Toggenburg actually stalks him with slanty/slitted eyes and looks like she would love to stomp him flat.  The 18 month old Alpine just charges up and butts him or tries to bite him.  He's always been one to "play butt" (you know, rear up and clonk heads, or do the shoulder-to-hip round-and-round) with any of the girls a time or two, but then wanders off to find something to eat or to climb up on the loafing bench for a nap.  He's a sweetie, and doesn't deserve to be treated so mean.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 05:21:51 AM »

I agree with Deb...I do think you're coming into the rut season, and the girls hormones are raging and there is a nice looking boy that isn't paying them any mind, and they want his attention and to get it, they are being bullies towards him.  Goats are strange critters...their romancing can get rather harsh. 

I'd do as Deb suggested, and separate them for a few days.  Alpines are known to be bossy and sometimes incredibly cruel.  I'd remove her first, take away her territorial attitude. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:00:21 PM »

It is because of breeding season.  My girls started being beastly to one another, fighting, ramming and going out of their way to pick on the underlings.  I put the buck in 11 days ago and it stopped immediately  Smiley
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 01:14:43 PM »

OK, they're all separated, and everyone seems to be doing better.  Interesting that this has never happened before, but at least I'll know what's going on next time.

Thanks for the good advice.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »

That's the thing with goats- they will go for years doing the same thing day after day. Then one day everything changed!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »

When moma is happy, everone is happy!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: