HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 06:40:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19536 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Just Getting Started (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Whole Flax seed??
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Whole Flax seed??  (Read 224 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: November 08, 2017, 01:07:28 PM »

Anyone fed whole flax to the goats??

I have fed it to my horses in the past and in recently doing some searching have found that BOSS can actually aggravate arthritis or inhibit the body's ability to reduce inflammation due to the overly high Omega6. 

I am dealing with an issue in my mare whom I have been feeding BOSS to and decided to stop feeding it to see if it helps and that got me thinking of the goats as I have 1 who is more gimpy lately and I have been top dressing her feed w/ BOSS.

Anywho-- I am looking at getting whole flax again which is high in Omega3  (which is a good thing)  and would switch to that, dropping the BOSS.  It gives the coat a luster like nothing else  Smiley

Anyone with experience?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:50:02 AM »

BOSS never caused an issue in any of our livestock...not even our seniors.  But we didn't have arthritis issues with any of them except Taddy and his was caused from an injury.  BOSS does a lot of things for them...raises the protein levels, adds extra selenium, Vitamins A and E which binds selenium to their systems along with the fats and oils.

I've never used flax seed as a constant feeding regimen.  I know it's really good stuff though. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »

Yeah, Omega 6's when fed without a lot of Omega 3's can cause massive inflammation issues.

Umm, I use flax seed meal, not the entire seed for my animals and myself. It's good stuff. I bought a 50 pound bag of the seeds (cheaper that way, plus they stay fresher and higher in omega 3's if left unground until you use them) and grind them with a coffee bean grinder each day. The dogs and goats get 1 Tbsp a day.

I keep the bag of seeds in the coolest place I can find. If I have freezer space, I keep them in the freezer.

I did stop feeding them to the goats last month. I read an article from Australia/New Zealand about the male/female ratio of lambs being ties to the feeding of omegas. Pasture fed (higher Omega 3) ewes/ram produced a higher % of males while those ewes fed grain (higher Omega 6) daily had a higher % of females.  I decided to give it a try with my goats. lol  Roll Eyes

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »

I always have a higher ration of boys to girls, except 2 years where I can out dead even.  I didn't feed BOSS then!

My only goat with issues is Elania.  I don't know if it arthritis, or just her being old but she is just ouchy and walks a bit gingerly in the mornings  ( i know the feeling!!).

If i can get the flax, maybe I can mix the 2....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: