HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:06:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19694 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Sick herd
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Sick herd  (Read 159 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: November 11, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »

The weather up here has been totally bi-polar. One day it is 70 and damp, the next day it plunges to the 30's and is windy. It's been like that for the past month.

I got a Nigerian weanling doe. The next day her former owner told me that her herd has pneumonia. I had the doeling (Natalie) quarantined, anyway, so I wasn't horribly worried. She did get sick but not bad, she didn't even need medication.

So, about a week ago, one of my bucks started sneezing with thick snot pouring out of his nose. Within a couple of hours he was down. Then the Nigerian buck got it, then the Mancha buck. Of course, since rut started, they have not been eating much, lost a whole bunch of weight and pace themselves thin.

The bucks nicely passed it on to the does. A couple of does got really sick. I lost one of my girls yesterday. She was fine, went down and was gone within 12 hours, even after being medicated and treated.  Cry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 07:43:47 PM »

What's their symptoms past the snotty noses?  A lot of that same thing is happening down here...both Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.  There is some kind of viral thing taking them really quick.  Normal antibiotics aren't cutting it...having to back up with massive immune boosting supplements and some aren't even responding to that.

I am very sorry you have this going on...maybe yours is a bacterial thing and not viral.. just a thought.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 08:36:44 PM »

They are responding to the penicillin so it is bacterial.

Fever, thick snotty noses, difficulty breathing (very labored), lethargic, not wanting to eat to stay warm in this cold. The one who died had bloody discharge from her mouth (lungs?) after she died. The 2 that are still in milk had a massive reduction in production.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 12:51:34 PM »

Could the doeling have brought it in ?  Even though quarantined some viruses can be airborne, or if she got snot on you and you didn't know?   I am so sorry you lost one, I hope the others rebound quickly. That must be a nightmare.  As if you haven't been through enough already!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:55:09 PM by Julie H » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 03:16:07 PM »

Yes, Natalie the doeling brought it in. And yes, I believe it is airborne. They have the exact same symptoms as her former herd. The first of my herd to get it was a Nubian doe who eats her grain in the walkway by Nats quarantine pen. The 2nd to get it was the Nubian buck across the walk way from her stall. I always fed/cared for Nats last, so I didn't track anything to my herd from her stall.

The former owner is still having issues with her herd and has a vet doing cultures to see what this is.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 05:24:30 AM »

I am thinking that using duel antibiotics is the way to go.  However, which ones?  Penicillin for sure, since it is bacterial...but what about backing it up with another antibiotic?  Maybe batril or Biomycin?  If I remember correctly those two will cancel each other out...so which one would you use?

It will be nice when your friend gets her cultures back and what antibiotics to treat it with, maybe you can do the same.

Are you using VetRx or Vicks on them to help with the labored breathing?  Ya know, when I got Taddy he was sick from behing half frozen to death at 2 days old.  We used the VetRx but we also set up a vaporizer in the room with him...that seemed to help.  I know that would be hard for you to do with so many and in a barn to boot...but I'm thinking outside the box, trying to offer what ever help I can think of.

Keep us updated on how they are doing.  Thoughts and prayers are with you.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 03:04:39 PM »

I use Benedryl to dry up the snot. It works great, dries it right up.

The penicillin is working very well, so I will stick to it for now. The ones who got the crud early on are recovering quite nicely with the meds I have been giving them. The worst one is my stupid Nubian buck, who refuses to eat or do anything, the little turd. Rut and pneumonia do not mix well. He is acting a bit brighter today, so there is hope for him.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 04:30:31 AM »

Try the trick of "treats" topped on his food.  I had to trick Prince a bunch of times.  Frozen Blackberries...he couldn't resist them...of course I ran warm water over them to thaw them first, but Blackberries and Raspberries...got Prince to eating...Cucumbers, thinly diced up carrots...music to the Goat Pallet. Smiley  Or see if he'll eat a little Yogurt...banana flavored seemed to be the ones ours liked the most.

I do hope and pray they continue to get better.  That nasty bug those goats are getting is taking the lives of many of them. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 04:40:39 PM »

They don't like much as treats except bread, cookies and the like. He did eat some pine boughs one of the days. He ate his grain and hay last night, and then his hay today.

cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 10:36:51 PM »

I like a newer antibiotic than penicillin for today's pneumonia.  The Biomycin in a drug of choice for pulmonary infections, and Cephalexin works better for me than penicillin.  Penicillin is so old a product, some do not respond as well.  It is good you are having some success with the penicillin-- I guess procaine form.  The Cephalexin family of antibiotics, are more modern in the treatment of infections today; however, the Biomycin is highly used for pneumonia.  I would continue the Benadryl as well.
 Stay away from the Fluroquinolone (sp)family of drugs --like Cipro, which will damage the tendons in animals, and people as well. I would also watch for electrolytes.
  Remember, you can still get many RX drugs on the internet under Fish antibiotics before it is stopped.  I do not worry about the generic if USP rated.  I maintain generic Septra DS, Keflex (Cephalexin), Droncit, Biomycin, which covers a wide area of problems, plus the wormers for goats.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 07:34:11 AM »

Charles that's very good advise...thanks for that information.

However, Deb is dealing with a bacterial pneumonia, not a viral...Biomycin probably won't touch that...might ease it a little but down here, all the drugs have been used to cure this nasty type of pneumonia and it's not working...they are having to do cultures and create the antibiotic that it will respond to...some have had to do cultures twice because the first antibiotic didn't work.  What ever this pneumonia is, it's a rush and hurry thing, it's killing goats fast.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »

Pam, the Biomycin is for bacterial infections, and viral pneumonia has to clear itself with boosting the immune system, to fight off the infection.  A cold is caused by a virus, and no antibiotic will cure the condition, only prevent the condition from becoming more severe. We do research daily to find new meds for more virulent infections, to boost our immune system, to help fight off the invasion of infection, and as our society becomes more immune to meds that we have been using for years, we have to find a better med, as there are strains of infection in parts of the world today, that have no cure, or any med that will prevent it's deadly affect on mammals.
  There are meds to boost the immune system, very expensive, and we have to do cultures , to find which agent will be the most effective in treating said infection.
 Proper nutrition, correct shelter, green vegies, with celery, and carrots, are good for the immune system, as Vit E is known to aid in immune system. There are several nutritional products to feed the animals to keep healthy, and I agree with Dragonlair on her advise.    Hope all is well, and the infection is gone.
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 12:38:17 PM »

How is everyone doing today, including you?  You amaze me how you keep up with everything, much less adding to the list medications to give. 

Elizabeth
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 06:23:19 AM »

Yes Charles there are tons of things on the market to naturally build the immune system.  My personal favorite is the Cultured Yogurts w/live viable cultures.  I personally use "Yobaby" Yogurt as it has the highest in viable cultures.  It's becoming increasingly harder to find it though.  Replaced with that "gogurt" stuff  Roll Eyes  Probiotics carry a high concentrate of immune building agents.  There are several websites that carry immune building supplements for livestock.  Costly as all get out.  Fastrack was the best product I ever used in my life, but a Millionaire couldn't afford it these days, but that stuff REALLY SERIOUSLY WORKS GREAT.   

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 07:42:31 AM »

Yes, Pam-- I thought of the Fastrack after my post.  Ditto on all the things you mentioned.  God gave us a system that will repair itself, if we just take proper care of it-- humans and goats!!  Hope all is well in Texas, and glad Nancy is home, doing well.  I bet if she is like you, her hubby may have to use a bungy cord to keep her from being too active on that leg. ( I think it was the leg).   God bless us all, and give Him thanks for the blessings He has placed upon us--many times unaware what He has done.   I pray God's blessings upon all who call upon His Name!  Tell Nancy that we are sending up a prayer just for her this morning, and if she feels a tingling in leg, He sure is listening!  Yehaw
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: