HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2017, 06:06:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19754 Posts in 1408 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Sick herd
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Sick herd  (Read 373 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 08:42:01 PM »

Everyone is fine now. The penicillin did the trick, along with the benedryl and dexamethasone (for those that were not pregnant). A few have a residual cough, but that is clearing up also. The weather is still up and down- 50 to 20 within the course of 12 hours. Wind, rain, snow, ice, heat, cold....just all over the chart!

Fastrack is 19.99 for a 5 pound bag up here. It's now cheaper than the other brands of probiotics. Brewers yeast is awesome, too. It is sold in 50 pound bags for livestock in a couple of the farm stores up here.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »

Wow...that's awesome to hear Deb.  Good job.  If fastback by Conklin is that cheap...i am going to buy it again...i will have to check my wholesale cost. 

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 05:18:07 PM »

Good to hear Dragon!
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »

Wow...that's awesome to hear Deb.  Good job.  If fastback by Conklin is that cheap...i am going to buy it again...i will have to check my wholesale cost. 

I looked it up and around here the price is still high.    What would you feed it to Birdie??  Do you have goats again??
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 04:58:46 AM »

No I don't have goats yet...hopefully one day though.  However, Fastrack isn't just for livestock.  You can get it for dogs and cats as well.  It really made a huge difference in all our dogs.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 08:44:28 AM »

I feed it to the horses, chickens and dogs also.

Ever since Tractor Supply came to Maine, all prices have dropped in our local feed/livestock supply stores.

Fastrack used to be incredibly high. I bought the same stuff from another company because it was considerably cheaper for the same stuff. Then TSC came to town and started selling the stuff I was buying for even cheaper. The local feed company stopped selling that, kept the Fastrack and lowered the price to even lower than the other brand. Not sure about the price of the Fastrack made specifically for dogs, they don't carry that, but the livestock Fastrack is nicely priced. Wink

For the dogs and chickens I put a handful of Fastrack in a can of fresh from the goat, still warm milk and let it set. Within a short period of time (as long as it stays warm, that is) I have my own brand of yogurt I dish out to them.

I had a couple of goats relapse last night. Weather is totally out of control! It went from upper 50's to 14 within a few hours. Then it stayed seasonably cold. Monday night into Tuesday morning the temp (and humidity) went up to the low 50's. Then, without warning, yesterday afternoon the sky turned black...gale force winds blasted thru and dropped the temps 25 degrees and started pouring for about 30 minutes or so. It was warm enough not to freeze, but that wind was horrible. Then, the sun came back and the wind died down.....for about 2 hours then it blasted through again. It stayed windy thru the night. It has calmed down, still breezy but not blasting, and the temp is back down to "seasonably cold".

It's the Nubians who seem to be hit the hardest by this weather and whatever strain of pneumonia that came with little Ms. Natalie. The former owners vet was supposed to be culturing it to see what it was, because her herd is not getting better very quickly. That was 3 wekks ago, still no word. Not sure if it is her herd or the difference in treatment. I hit my herd with Penicillin, Vit B complex, Benedryl and for those with really full lungs, Dexamethasone. They came around way faster than the herd treated by the vet with one of the newer, long acting antibiotics and nothing more. I suggested to the girl that she gives them all Vit B complex and those with really stuffy noses, Benedryl.

My 2 that were "under the weather" (so to speak  Wink) last night and wouldn't eat are acting a lot better this morning.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:55:12 AM by dragonlair » Logged

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 07:39:18 AM »

I do, I swear by the fastrack...but checking my cost on it (wholesale), it's not cheap, it's still very high.  Your guy is a distributor, and he is allowed to sell it as long as it's over the suggested Retail cost that Conklin puts on it...otherwise he stands to loose his license. 

I fed the powdered fastrack for livestock to all my animals including dogs and cats.  But that Canine Fastrack Powder is super doper awesome stuff.

~ Birdie ~
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 10:34:22 PM »

OK - totally confused here...What, exactly is Fastrack for?  Is it a general wide-spectrum antibiotic? Something I should have on hand at all times?  Whatever it is, it sounds like it works like crazy, but I'm really reluctant to give drugs when they're not strictly necessary.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 06:27:45 AM »

Fastrack is an all natural immune supplement.

What it does is it takes the animals natural immune system and strengthens it beyond it's own capability.  It also helps the animal to utilize and digest all that it eats, thus you feed less food/forage/hay to aquire the same weight.  It also enhances the bodies organs, returning them to their normal size and function.  It works on the skin and hair coat, it works on the eyes and hooves.

This product is extremely good.  I used it for years upon years until even at my wholesale cost, I couldn't afford it any longer.  It was cost effective for me any more.  When you can save on feed costs, and obtain a healthy weight by feeding less, you have absolutely no sick animals (due to their immune system being so strong that they just don't get sick), and you have no vet costs (either the vet or OTC) then you're saving enough to pay for the supplement with a goat that's so gorgeous that folks ask "How do you get your goats to look like that?'  Well let me tell you, THAT WAS MY HERD. 

They stood out in a crowd...their hair coat has a metallic shine, their eyes were perky and crisp, their hooves were sound and sure...they were full of pep and vinegar, living on 1 cup per unbred Doe of food twice daily, and weighing in at 200 pounds or more on a Doe...and God forbid I mention our babies...Rambo and Thunder at 4 months old were 150lbs and TO DIE FOR GORGEOUS (SA Boer Bucklings)....

This stuff works...but this stuff is so costly that you have to command a higher price when you sell your goats to weigh out the costs of using it.  The fastrack for dogs....I could tell you things that this stuff has done for me and my dogs that would raise the hair on your arms and bring tears of joy to your eyes...But those stories are long and very hard for me to tell with some of them, Rio being one of them, if you remember him.  It's amazing stuff Julie.  I will never deny that.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 09:32:52 AM »

Dang, Pam--- I need a big dose of Fastrack-- Yehaw
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »

Fastrack is a probiotic, it adds beneficial bacteria to the animals digestive system.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: