HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 11:08:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19857 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  I don't want to play anymore!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: I don't want to play anymore!  (Read 205 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: December 27, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »

I want summer. Even though winter is only a week old, I am sick of it. The temp tanked last night when i was at work, down to below 0 with a wind chill that brings it down even more.  Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

Today the wind is still blowing. It's barely above 0, not sure what the wind chill brings it to. The sun is out....if that wind would stop it wouldn't be bad. Hard to dress for that wind though. Go out, do a few chores, come in to feed stove and run water, warm up and then out to do more. Got 2 sleds of firewood in, need to get at least 2 more to stack closer to the back door. It was dumped at the furthest point from my back door! lol

Got up during the night to keep feeding the stove and letting the water run so it didn't freeze. So far, so good. The water pipes have come close to freezing, but not completely so letting it run clears them of the ice.

Just checked the weather info. -7 with  the wind chill. The wind is not going to slow down until Friday when the temps tank even more.  Oh, joy. Come on 2018, you have to be better than 2017 was.

Only 2 good things I can see good about this cold and snow- the milk cools off right away after milking and the goats will pick up some of the hay they dump out of the feeder if it lands in the snow. I used to be happy because this extreme cold killed barberpole worm eggs- however, the worms have evolved to thrive in the north, now, too. They can survive this weather. AGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »

I am right there with you!  We were at 1 degree this morning which is COLD for here and I am so sick of it already!  It takes me 2 1/2 hours to feed and clean up and water everyone and then I have the pig barns to go through ( at least they are heated).

Yesterday the wind was brutal and I was cold all day long , didn't matter if I was inside or out.  My FIL asked me if I was glad I wasn't back in MN right now and honestly I didn't feel that at the time there was much difference  Angry

Today at least not much wind and sunshine, but like you the temps are going to dive again, but nothing like you.  Hang in there!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 06:14:08 AM »

Julie I know that Missouri weather very well...and it holds true to the name "The Show Me State"...ask and ye shall receive.  Oh man, I don't miss that kind of cold.  However, N.W. Arkansas wasn't much better but at least it was about 10 degrees warmer.

Deb, I don't know how you Northerners take that kind of cold...I know for fact I couldn't.  These darn blood thinners, even here in Texas (which it's really cold for this area as well), I'm froze to the bone.  Hang in there...keep counting the days down, taking one more day away from "Ole Man Winter" and "Jack Frost"...makes you feel better when you think you took that day back.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »

I am so sick of this weather. It was -28 this morning, no wind, just plain cold.

My pellet stove got fixed yesterday, so I have a bit more heat. However, the water froze during the evening Weds night. I fell asleep and woke up to no water. I had filled buckets and all in the kitchen, so I was ok with no water that night. The next morning I went down to defrost the pipes.

It was so cold (-24) with wind making it even colder, that as fast as I could thaw one end the other end that had been thawed was frozen again. The water meter had frozen, causing the bottom to be pushed out. Water spewed from it. I called the water company and they sent someone right up to replace the meter (the meter was $47.00).

I continued trying to thaw the pipes. Finally I called a friend for assistance. He arrived and with the 2 of us using a torch at both ends and moving to the middle, we finally got it thawed. It took 5 hours. We then went to get heating tape. We got the pipes all done up with the heat tape and insulation over it and found a couple of drippy leaks. I filled up as many buckets and containers as I could and I shut off the water for the night so it wouldn't drip all night.

I went upstairs to my bedroom to warm up. I had been outside all day and was absolutely frozen. I shut the door and put the space heater on. The pellet stove had stopped running again and it was cold in the house. I fell asleep and woke 3 hours later. I went down to feed the stove and start chores. I heard a loud roar coming from somewhere. It took a minute before I realized it was water exploding in the basement. I ran downstairs into the cellar. OMG, what a mess. Water pouring from the pipe. The basement was full of fog, since the water was so much warmer than the air. Icicles hung from the ceiling, the rafters, the wall, the pipes. There was at least 4 inches of water covering the basement flood. The boards and other things on the floor were solid ice and very slippery. I got the main line shut off.  Then I noticed the plug for the heating tape, plugged into the extension cord, a fraction of an inch above the water line. I slowly inched over to it, walking along the top of a rolled up carpet that was covered in wet ice. Before I could reach down and grab the cord, I slipped and one foot landed in the water. Ugh. I managed to get back on the carpet and inch over to the cord. It was horribly slippery and I didn't want to fall in again and get electrocuted. I got the cord picked up and looped over the pipes.

My friend will come over Sunday to see if we can fix the split pipe. I think it's the line that goes to the outside faucet that I thought was shut off. It wasn't, it was frozen. When the heat tape warmed the water, it caused the pipe to split. I had enough to water the critters this morning. I am hoping that I can shut off the shut off at the top of the main pipe and leave the drain faucet open so I can attach a hose and fill buckets for the critters tonight and tomorrow morning.

One a good note, when I was done with the pipe last night, I tried to start the pellet stove. It started and stayed going, so I had some heat over night and today. It's so cold that the cold reduces the heat pretty quickly. With both the pellet and wood stoves going it makes it so I don't have to wear my coat and hat in the house.

I want summer!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 05:49:32 AM »

oh my gosh...that was NOT good birthday for you at all.  Deb, the things you tell us, scares me to death for you.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 02:53:43 PM »

Well, my plan to use the hose was a failure.  Roll Eyes I guess the hose still had ice in it, because when I turned the water on, water sprayed EVERYWHERE! I was covered. Of course it immediately froze. I looked like the Yeti. So, I carried all the buckets down the steps and filled each one from the faucet and carried them back up the steps. I could only turn the water on low or the place it burst (directly above my head!) would spray out water.

I got all the animals watered and stored enough inside for tonight.

Those steps are horrible, something only a goat would love. They are extremely steep. Each step is probably 18 inches high and wide enough for half a foot, at best. They are made out of cement and have crumbled in spots over the years. I fell at the top a couple of times but fell into the deep snow.

But, I now know exactly where the pipes burst so we can either fix them or cap them off until spring, hopefully tomorrow. Once both parts are fixed, I can get water from my kitchen sink, so much easier.

When I got home last night both stoves were out. I expected the wood stove to be out, it's just not big enough to cram full enough for 10 hours. The pellet stove had just stopped, so I cleaned it out, refilled it and got it going. It was cool but not horribly cold in the house. It was still running when I came in from chores, so I topped it off and went to bed.

I woke up at 0300 for a trip to the bathroom. OMG, was it cold! I looked down the grate and saw nothing but darkness when I should have seen orange flickering. I put my boots on and went downstairs. Stone cold dead. I got it going and went back to bed. Got up at 0600 for another bathroom trip and was even colder! It was out again. I went downstairs and found that, for some reason, the igniter didn't ignite the pellets and the firebox was jammed with unburned pellets. I took most of them out, put firestarter gel on the pellets I left in the firebox and lit them. Once they got burning and I heard the augers turning, I went back to bed. It's been running since. I really loaded it up before I left for work, so hopefully it will be going when I get home. I couldn't get the wood stove going for nothing today, so I just shut the stove down and left. It will either catch while I am at work or it will be loaded when I get home and can mess with it again.

They are saying we have another week of this frigid weather before we go back to the 20's.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 06:14:52 AM »

omg...Is your furnace completely shot?  Would it be better to just repair the furnace instead of spending time, money and trouble on the heating stoves?

Deb, I'm really worried about you this year.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »

My furnace died several years ago, it froze and split. It would cost 11,000.00 + to replace it.

The pipes were partially fixed today. The plumbing and electric in the house are old. The faucets and shut off valves are so old that you can't find replacements. I'm going to have to replumb it this year, planning on using the flexible plastic piping. That stuff does not split when/if it freezes.

I think I can get the buckets filled tonight, but will still have to carry them up those steps. They all got a good charge of room temp water this morning, so they shouldn't need several trips worth of water tonight.

The weather is supposed to warm up Weds- in the low 20's. Stay there until Friday. However, we are supposed to get another 8 inches of snow with high winds on Thursday. None of the snow we have gotten so far has melted, so this will give us a huge amount of snow. The one good thing about it, it packs up around the foundation and insulates!

Tomorrow is a new year. I am so hoping for a really good year. I need it after 2017. A lot of us do.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 06:54:11 AM »

Our Flip House in LA, it had that old wiring and old water line as well.  We changed it all over to "state code".  The Pex water lines you are talking about will split Deb.  Got that going on right now at our flip house.  A line froze and busted in the interior of the house, flooded the house, we have major damage done.  They say it won't bust, but that's not true.  It sure will.  You see they put those line together using a connector called a "Shark Bite", those shark bites are metal...those will freeze and those will split that plastic real quick.  They still need heat tape and insulation wrapped around them.  Though they are nicer than metal pipes, they are not freeze proof.  This is going to cost me a mint to have repaired. 

I tell you this so that you are prepared when you do put in the pex piping. 

We are under a freeze warning here to...and it's pretty dog gone cold out there right now.  Dogs didn't spend much time outdoors doing their morning duties, they were back at the door asking to come in pretty quick.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 02:58:55 PM »

I have water in my kitchen!  Cool WooHoo! run :grnstrs: Cheer Hello Happy WooHoo

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 05:03:51 AM »

Yippee!!!   chickendance Dancing Banana chickendance Dancing Banana chickendance Dancing Banana chickendance Dancing Banana

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 02:45:50 PM »

For some reason the universe is against me having both water and heat at the same time. Shortly after the water defrosted and began running in the kitchen, the pellet stove quit.  So, I'm heading in to the worst blizzard we've had in years, followed by the coldest temps in years and my pellet stove isn't working. My wood stove is going but the wood is green and doesn't give off much heat. Even with a fan behind it, the heat it does throw off doesn't move very far. Heat does not travel north and the stove is in the south west corner of the house.

I got an extra sled of firewood in the house and another days worth outside the back door under cover, so there is about 2 days worth at hand right now. I lost my path to the wood pile! The snow totally filled it in. I kept walking off it, which really hurts the hip. I shoveled a path to the barn, hay bales, car and dog yards, but they were filled in within minutes. I got extra hay in the barn to feed out tonight and tomorrow morning, but I'll need to go grab 3 more wheelbarrow loads for this evenings feeding. I have the water buckets in the kitchen filled and ready to go down for them all. I am soooo grateful that I didn't have to use the hose or faucet in the cellar, I can just fill them in the kitchen sink now.

I got to the feed and grocery store this morning, so I am all set with dog food, goat, horse and chicken feed and I have enough stuff to go me a few days. The shelves were almost bare in the grocery, it's a good thing I didn't need a lot of stuff. I haven't been grocery shopping since before Christmas, so I needed a few things for my work lunch and I was almost out of oatmeal!!!!  Scared  I always have oatmeal for breakfast, even in the summer. I add fruit, cinnamon, cayenne, ginger, flax seed meal, chia, maple syrup, coconut oil and goat milk. It's quite a process each morning! Lol Because of that mix, my good cholesterol is off the charts it's so high.

So, I finally got in from chores and such at 1520, so I am just now eating breakfast. Had a large McDonalds coffee hours ago which kept me going, but around 1500 my blood sugar crashed and I started getting dizzy, weak and short tempered. So, instead of finishing up with the hay and water, I came in to warm up as best I can and get something to eat. Gonna finish up eating, rest my hip for a few minutes and then head back outside to do the hay and water. I need to get the hay in before the wind kicks up to 70 mph like they are forecasting.

I'm still trying to figure out why I still live up here.  Roll Eyes

BTW......if you don't hear from me don't be terribly worried, we may lose power. I sure hope not, I need that electricity to keep these space heaters running as I go from room to room! Wink Wink

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 05:30:56 AM »

oh gee whiz...I watched that yesterday and it's not good at all.  I worry about all of you all up North East....that's gonna be a horrific storm.  I'm glad you've updated us so far and please be careful up there.  Text me and let me know how you are if you loose power, and I'll update the forum for you.

This is an awful big storm...the winds are going to be atrocious.  Be careful and stay safe.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 11:05:19 AM »

Chores last night were a treat. The snow ended around 2300, the wind decided to stay.

I stepped out of my back door with the 2 older inside Malamutes. We all sunk in the snow that I had been shoveling all day. Nukka has bad hips and floundered a lot. Poor Rocky hurt his left rear hock, and had problems  in the snow too. They waited until I broke trail for them.  Roll Eyes

It was still around 20 last night, so it was kind of nice doing chores. I didn't need a coat, just my overalls and sweats. Had to shovel yet again to get to the barn. I'm so glad I had last nights hay already in the barn.

This morning was more of the same. The wind drifted all the snow I shoveled a dozen times yesterday right back to where is started. Ugh.  My neighbor dug out my mailbox and driveway. The snow at the base of my driveway has got to be 20 feet high. I shoveled the walkways (waist deep in places) and got chores done. I am so glad I brought up extra wood yesterday morning, because I can't even begin to find the pathway that goes down to the woodpile. My front lawn is 1 big drift. It's going to be hard to dig through that tomorrow, because I am going to need wood then. My shoulders, back and legs are killing me from all this shoveling now! Hopefully I can rest up at work tonight! lol

All in all, it really wasn't as bad as I expected. It's been so long since we've had a true New England winter blizzard that one tends to forget how they can be. This is turning out to be a traditional Maine winter. Blah. Angry Sad However, I would rather have the snow and 20 degrees than the frigid, below 0 temps that will be settling in today. Mother nature needs to send that frigidness back to the north pole where they need it!

nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 11:56:08 AM »

Yay for running water!!
I cannot imagine 20ft drifts & all the work you are doing.
I always knew you were crazy but where on earth did you come up with cayenne in your oatmeal!? Is this a New England thing?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: