HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 07:25:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19521 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Abortion question
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Abortion question  (Read 442 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: December 28, 2017, 12:49:11 PM »

Erin is a 9 year old  bred doe in excellent health until this morning.  Probably 2 months along at the most.

I hear her calling out some when I come up to do chores ( very unlike her ) and she is in the barn making " talking noises" off and on.

I finally get to the goats who are last in my morning routine and see some very slight red tinged " wetness" on the sides of her tail hair, but her vulva looks completely normal, but she is still going "baaaa "every so often.  When I left to go to the pig barn she was in the barn.

I checked her again at 11:30 and she was just laying there alert and quiet.  I am assuming she will  at some point  today lose her kids, but at that early stage will she just reabsorb them? 

I am bummed as she is one of my favorites and an awesome producer for me Cry
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 06:06:33 AM »

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Happened to me one time and it was so sad.  However, at 2 months along, she won't reabsorb them.  They are fully formed at 2 months along.  However they won't have hair or eyes or mostly like their hooves.  I would watch her closely, as she isn't dilated and nothing there to progress the dilation, as I feel the babies are dead, so they can't progress the labor.  If the babies deteriorate she will have sharp bones inside her.  My advice, take her to the vet so the vet can get them out of her and flush her.  Again, I'm so sorry this is happening.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 01:17:09 PM »

She seems to be getting back to normal.  I still don't know exactly what happened and the vet isn't sure either.  He gave her an antibiotic and I will keep an eye on her. 
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »

Maybe she wasn't aborting at all, just some random discharge? Could she have been butted or fallen that caused a bit of a tear?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 06:16:41 AM »

Did the vet listen for heart beats or movements?  Does your vet have a sonogram or ultra sound?  I'm like Deb, she was probably head butted...that's what happened to our Doe...she was head butted 2 weeks from her due date, and it killed both kids. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 12:47:34 PM »

I doubt she was head butted as she is usually the one they all try to avoid, 2nd on the ranking order right under the herd queen,  but who knows?   She was acting like she had kidded and she was calling mournfully and looking for babies.  I never saw her actively pushing or showing labor signs just some wetness an then very slight gunk on her tail.  She is acting normal now.

No Birdie they didn't do any of that and don't have the stuff for it .  Goat vets are rare here, sadly
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 07:03:28 AM »

Satin didn't do any pushing either...just laying down and moaning and talking to her stomach.  She never dilated either.  She had the goo and blood on her tail.  We took her into our Vet and sure enough, the Vet had to work hard to save her life.  Of course she was almost full term, just 2 weeks from her due date.  Your girl was about 2 months along so not as far along as Satin was.  Satin almost died.  After the Vet finished with her, the Vet said "Pam, this isn't good." and I told her "Doc, I know we didn't save the babies, but do every thing you can to save my girl", and I hit my knees and prayed over her, right then and there.  Satin was down for 5 weeks.  We ended up using Exceed antibiotic (new on the market then, and 180.00 per CC'), and that finally whipped that uterine infection she got from the rotted babies.  Those babies came out in pieces, though their bodies were whole.  We did every thing we could think of for her.  I even massaged her legs and her rumen, and her neck and head several times a day to keep her from bloating because she wouldn't get up.  We even hand fed her and with the cooked oatmeal I spoon fed her.  She finally got up, weak on her legs, but she got up.  After that we babied her for a year, praying her uterine was ok.

After a year of her healing and getting back on her feet, we took her in for a sonogram and there wasn't even any scaring tissue on her uterine.  Doc said she could be bred again, but should have been dead.  Now God took care of her, this I know...he healed her and let her lead a nice life and have fine babies.  Because by all rights that Doe should have been dead. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 12:48:52 PM »

I am glad that she came through and did so well.  It was all due to your care and having a good vet helps.
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »

What an amazing story.  Anyone else would have given up, and let her go, or decided to euthanize that little doe.  God bless you for the caring person you are -- for your beloved husband (and we'd love an update), plus all your critters.

Wishing you and all those you love and care for a happy, healthy, prosperous and safe New Year.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 05:33:23 AM »

Julie hows your Doe doing today?  Have you seen any discharge what so ever on her?  She should be having what looks thick and brownish red colored discharge.  It's the clean out process.

Thanks Creekmom.  A dead Doe is lost profits, a live Doe is my baby still. hahaha.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 01:39:51 PM »

Yes,   I have seen some discharge over the last few days.   She is no longer staying in the barn , not quite her old bossy self but she is getting there.  I was a bit concerned about our cold snap and her not being at her best,  but she hasn't even been affected.

It was -10 this morning and that is COLD for us here.  I had a few does shivering a bit but they are stuffing their faces and are quite plump  Wink

dragon I hope your girls get through alright. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 06:36:36 AM »

Julie I had those girls quiver when it got real cold up there too...made my heart break.  That's when I started leaving out a bucket of warm molasses water once a day for them...I would put out 2 big buckets so they didn't fight over it, but I made it the color of weak tea...didn't use a whole lot, but just enough to get their bodies to hold good body heat from the molasses.  They drank it real fast.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 01:17:17 PM »

If I had a way to keep it warm !  I do have a 16 gallon heated tub for them and I added extra dried molasses to their ration when I made feed the other day.  We had sun yesterday and they all rushed out and stood in the rays just soaking up any bit of warmth it gave ( which isn't much) Once they get moving they are fine.  I am so glad that here they can get out of the barn.  In MN I had to leave them in all Winter and they had no sun to lay in when it was out.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 05:06:10 AM »

Vitamin D is a awesome thing when it's this cold and they get that from the sun.  Julie don't worry about trying to keep it warm...they'll have that molasses water gone in nothing flat.  I put 2--5 gallon buckets out per pasture and they devoured it within 30 minutes to an hour.  It won't have time to freeze.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: