HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 06:35:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19867 Posts in 1420 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Who would have thought?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Who would have thought?  (Read 96 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: January 12, 2018, 06:11:38 AM »

Our day yesterday would have been an emergency trip to the Vets office, all because of a stupid squirrel.

Sasha, the brave soul that she is, chased a squirrel out back toward the corner of the yard fence.  This is a daily routine for her and Brandy.  Every time they are outdoors.  Thought nothing of it.  I went about cleaning the poo out of the yard, and look up and see Sasha with blood streaming down her face.  Freaked me out.  I went running over to her and low and behold she had cut the corner of her eye a real good one.  Dreading what I'd find when I got her in the house and cleaned up...she was a lucky LUCKY girl.  She cut the outside corner of her right eye and managed some how to not get the eye itself.  Thank God for that.  Cleaned her up real good, and realized, oh my goodness, this is really deep.  Called the Vet at 7:45am and was told to bring her in at 9am. 

Got me and Sasha cleaned up to go..and I headed out, didn't look at the clock to see what time it was...we arrived at the Vets office and it was 8:30am... Lol  Grin  They didn't mind, they took us right in.  When one of my animals is hurt, I am in a dead run.   laugh laugh

Doc looked at Sasha and said "Man she is very lucky, and yep that needs stitches."  You could have fit a Penny down inside of it.  So we got things arranged and questions answered for her to have surgery.  Doc said she would need to give her anesthesia due to where it was at.  I signed the papers for that.  Then we decided that with Sasha's age we should do the pre-op blood work, so I signed the papers for that.  Then doc was talking to me about Sasha's health and if there was any known reasons that might complicate her surgery.  I mentioned the knot on Sasha's right hind leg, that it had grown a lot in the last 4 months and Doc looked at it, and I said "Doc, in my gut I know that's cancer, I lost one of my other Shepards to this same thing and it was cancer."  She went and got a needle and poked it and drew blood from it.  She said "it's a bloody cyst." and man did it bleed when she took that needle out.  We had to put pressure on it for a short while but longer than one would think a needle poke would need pressure.

So we talked about removing that while she was in surgery and I said it's a horrible time of year to have surgery with all this wet and mud.  Doc said, well it would just be for a week that she'd need to go out on leash instead of being turned loose in the yard...well I thought I'm gonna have to do that any way because of her eye.  So I agreed to do that.

So now Sasha's eye is being repaired and she's having a bloody cyst removed.  They would be starting her surgery after 12, because she had eaten her breakfast and they needed an empty stomach.  Told me to go home and they'd call me.  Well I don't just "go home"...I ask, Doc, is there a way I can stay with her until she goes into surgery?  Doc says, well we don't really want clients to stay because they need to work on her, get her shaved and get her blood drawn.  So I agreed to go home and wait.  Gotta trust my Vet.

A few hours later Doc called me...around 11am.  She said Sasha's pre-op blood work didn't come back so good.  Her liver functions was higher than normal.  I asked why?  She said she thought it was due to old age, and that it wasn't high enough to prevent her from having surgery, but was high enough that she needed to let me know about it.  Then she said "that isn't what has me worried."  OMG...my heart fell to my stomach and I about puked when she said "worried".  She said "Sasha's kidney function test, it came back with high Keratin levels.  Not high enough to stop her surgery but one that we must monitor with a blood test once a month."  OMG, why?  She said she was hoping that it was because she had eaten breakfast and it was still digesting.  She asked me what I fed my dogs and I told her.  We spoke of a new Senior diet for Sasha to reduce the proteins in her kidneys.  She said she was getting Sasha ready to go to surgery, and that she would be running an IV on Sasha due to the elevation of the liver count and the kidney Keratins.  So I agreed and said "we have to do what we have to do, but if she's a high risk for this surgery then please don't do it."  She assured me she would be ok but the IV was a protection for her liver and Kidney.  She said she had a spay to do first, and then Sasha was second.  Said that the spay wouldn't take long at all, about 30 minutes and that Sasha's surgery would take long either, about 30 to 45 minutes.  Ok, I'm good with that.

At 3:15pm I was getting really nervous, which I was already nervous and pacing to the point that my house was cleaned and dog beds washed and dried, and supper was started, and Sasha's living room bed was brought in...nervous energy you can get a lot of things done!!!  But at 3:15 when I hadn't heard any thing, I was beyond nervous into that throw up stage and shaking and worried sick.  I was just about to pick up the phone and call when they called me.

The surgery went well.  She was doing good.  She stitched Sasha's eye both internal and external stitches.  She removed the bloody cyst that did indeed cause Sasha to loose a lot of blood, so Sasha was in ICU Recovery being monitored and watched closely.  Said she was just now coming out of the Anesthesia and her vitals were really good, but wanted to keep her until at least 5pm to make sure they didn't need to give her a unit of blood.  They had the IV's on her with fluids going into her, and it also had the piggy back of the antibiotic and pain med's.  She said she was in the unit that flowed oxygen through the kennel, so she was getting fresh oxygen as well.  They told me I could come at 5 and pick her up.  I was relieved but "unit of blood", "ICU", "IV's still on her."  Now folks, you all know those words are going to make you worry.

I got there at 4:30...I couldn't stand it any longer I had to know, I had to see my dog.  When I got there, they really wanted her to wait another 30 minutes at least.  So I got to go back and see Sasha through the window where the monitors are at, and they showed me her vitals and they showed me how she was getting fresh oxygen, and that she was doing really good but sleeping due to the anesthesia.  She looked good really...didn't look like she had just been through a surgery or had been hurt, she just looked relaxed with eye cream on her eyes.

We got to leave at 5:15, and arrived home by 5:30.  She has some recovery to do for sure, but she is doing really good.  Doc didn't like the looks of the cyst when she removed it.  Said she felt she got it all, but she was sending it to Texas A&M to analyze.  I will know next week Wednesday if Sasha has cancer or not.

We are praying that it's not, and that she will be with me for many more years.  PS...she likes being pampered.  Cool Wink Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 01:23:09 PM »

You had quite a full day!  I am glad she came through alright.  I hope her tests come back ok too  Smiley
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 03:43:09 PM »

What a day, poor Sasha. Here's to hoping that the cyst is benign.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:15:12 PM »

The squirrel bite was a blessing in disguise.  Wink
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 06:50:24 AM »

Thanks Everyone...she is ready to play, but Doc says no, not for 7 to 10 days.  Brandy thinks she can lick Sashas eye and make the boo boo go away, but I say "oh no, we don't do that."  Sasha thinks she's being disciplined at times.  I hate that, but I can't let her get hurt again or damage what's been done.

Nancy, it wasn't a squirrel bite...believe it or not, the squirrel didn't do it...Doc said she poked something in there.  I have walked that area with a fine tooth comb, found blood drippings before the rain hit, but I found nothing that she got hurt on.  I went ahead and cleaned the area of leaves, and stuff I thought would cause something to be hidden, but I still didn't find any thing.  No nails in the fences, no broken fence wire.  So I don't know what she did that on.

~ Birdie ~
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »

Good grief, what a stressful day for you both.  Glad she is feeling better for you today.  It sure is hard keeping them somewhat quiet when they want to do otherwise.  Hopefully this week will go by fast for her and you so she can return to her normal routine.  Keep us posted on how she is doing. 

Elizabeth
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: