HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2018, 02:27:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1577 Posts in 72 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Not sure why but.....
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Not sure why but.....  (Read 600 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: January 20, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »

Well, actually I do know why.

A few months ago I sold 2 of my mini Nubians. The buyer was going to make payments. Then, she decided that she wanted to go with larger goats (Nubians) and wanted to sell some of her Nigerians. She asked if I wanted a weanling. (I had mentioned I wanted to do the opposite, downsize to smaller goats) Sure, why not. I traded the weanling for the balance she owed me. Nicely bred doeling that will cross nicely with my Nigerian buck. Unfortunately the doeling brought in a bacteria to my herd and they all got sick and I lost 1. The rest have recovered. The girl, on the other hand, had a horrible problem with whatever it is that is plaguing her herd. She is very new to goats. She bought all her goats this past summer from a variety of herds. Most of the Nigerians came from 2 or 3 well respected, established herds that were being sold out due to owners health problems. She lost several animals (all her well bred Nigerian bucks) and had a horrible go of it. The vet did a necropsy and it seems the bucks were what brought the bacterias into the herd. She finally seemed to get it under control.

So, fast forward a few weeks. She was buying a Nubian yearling from me. She offered me a very nicely bred Nigerian doe (possibly bred) in trade. Sure, why not. We waited to exchange animals until she got whatever it was under control. Then she offered me the yearling does dam for a decent price. Sure, why not? Lol

So Wednesday we did the swap. However, I kept the Nubian doe a little longer because one of her Nubians aborted quads that morning. Fortunately the 2 herds are kept separate, so the Nigies should be fine and I didn't want my yearling to end up with whatever it may be.

So, my Nigerian buck currently has 2 adult does and a yearling for his little harem. The 2 does are possibly bred. Plus I put a deposit on an extremely well bred doeling for this spring. So, I am on my way to a well bred, CAE- herd of quality Nigerians.

Now, the hard part. How do I part with some of my big girls?  Sad Cry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:38:26 AM »

When Shane told me to sell the Does that were having single kids twice in a row, it was terrible hard on me to do that.  Those girls were having dandy single babies and were registered to boot.  So I understand how hard it is to say goodbye to those girls.  Keeping the end goal in mind, is what we have to do.  The sorrow of selling my Pygmy's to bring in the Boers...I still kick myself for that.  Keep the end goal in mind, and remember, they aren't just pets...they are there to bring in some money and help pay for themselves.  You have a good home for them, and a lot of folks can't say that.  It's still really hard to do.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »

While it is always hard to let the go , hold out for a buyer who you feel really good about.  Makes it a bit easier for me.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 05:43:04 PM »

Well, I guess I am now officially up to my ears in Nigerians. Of the 2 bred does, only 1 was actually bred, the other one was not. She was in with a buck that died first, so he was obviously not fertile or probably even up to the job of breeding. The bred one had triplets- 2 girls and a boy.

I recently sold the buckling and one of the doelings.

Somewhere in the middle of all this I bought another extremely well bred doe that will cross unbelievably with my buck.

When that doeling that I had reserved was born, the owner decided to retain her. (It was actually they were retaining a doe and I reserved a 2nd doe, if one was born)

So, I figured I would wait til next year. Then she contacts me and is selling several of her kids and a couple of her adults. Wow, what a choice. I decided to get 2, then had to decide which ones I want. I finally made my choice, and believe me, it was tough. I can't believe I am spending this kind of money, either! Lol

Meanwhile, the standard doelings I was going to keep will most likely be up for sale. Sign.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 07:25:50 AM »

What to do, what to do? hmmm??  I think I have a solution for you... Send them to me.  laugh laugh

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 01:05:58 PM »

At least they are mini's .  That means you can have twice as many without the guilt Grin

That is how it works with candy.................
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »

Yup, sending the deposit on those 2 high end $ doelings. The woman I am getting them from called to make sure I was positive about those 2, because the dams breeder offered her $800.00 for the doeling! I had first dibs, though.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 05:27:34 AM »

800.00?  That's really hard to believe on a mini goat.  I haven't seen one priced that high ever.  Mini's are growing in popularity as pets, but wow, as breeders/milkers….I suppose the Northern areas fetch better prices.  Probably get it for no more than 200.00 here. Good thing you got first dibs.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »

That is pricey  Bolt  Pictures are a must when you get them home !!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 06:46:06 PM »

Oh, Birdie, you have been away a long time.

Show quality, production bred Nigerian Dwarf kids bring that and more. It's not uncommon to spend $1500.00 on a buckling. The breeder I am using sells her kids starting at $600.00 and has a waiting list, you need to reserve a year in advance. One of the breeders in the southern part of our state sells even higher and always has a waiting list. Pet quality is only 100.00-300 or so, but I am going for the quality and milk production.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 06:06:17 AM »

Actually Deb, I've only been out of goats for a year now.  But, there are few and far between "big" breeders down in the southern area and I can see why...it's hard to keep an animal healthy here.  Worm over loads and look at Hanna...Listeria took her and I kept that pasture area she was in as clean as I possibly could.  I'm still answering calls for help from folks and I still shake my head to see what happens to them.  There are a lot of Goat Rescue areas down here.

I'm glad goat prices are better up North. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »

Only quality goats and only certain breeds bring the prices. Standards do not bring decent prices, you can barely give them away. Unless they are poor quality and wildly colored. Then everyone wants them! They are buying for color alone. Scrub, really poor body type goats will bring a good price if they have spots- dairy and meat goats. It's pathetic, especially for people who have been breeding for quality for years.

I meant you haven't been in the miniature breeds for a long time. They have become so popular ever since ADGA opened their herd books to them and now they can be shown at all ADGA shows.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 06:09:07 AM »

Well, Lily was a mini goat, and a two others that I tried to help save were mini's...bought for 200.00 as sickly, on death row bottle babies.  I was furious over that.  Lily was the only one I saved out of the 3.  I can see the mini's increasing in price because the city laws have changed to where you can own a mini as a back yard city pet.  Mini's are every where now.  Lady down the road says she has myotonics, but they are Nigi' crosses.  They are adorable.  You let them have color and blue eyes and the sky is the limit on the prices they'll fetch.  Color was becoming so popular when I got into the Kiko's years ago.  Blue eyes were very popular too.  It's crazy how that all changed so fast.  I know I'd still seek the better built goat, and bloodlines second, over color and blue eyes, but I have to admit, I'd be the sucker to say "awww, that's so pretty, I gotta have it!!!"  Sad but true...I'm a goataholic.  Embarrassed Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 01:17:34 PM »

Mini Jersey's are very high priced and sought after as well .  I can see why the mini's are so popular.  Easier to handle, house and cheaper to feed.  Very desirable with everything rising in price and hay is hard for some to find with each passing year.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2018, 10:58:44 AM »

These aren't actually Minis. Minis now are a separate breed, a cross between a standard and a Nigerian. These are purebred Nigerians, who routinely win big at shows and that have been bred to produce huge amounts of milk, some have been tested and proven to produce a gallon of milk a day. The difference between these types of Nigerians and the pet quality is amazing.

Remember the doeling that I reserved but the doe didn't produce (the doe had quads, 3 bucks and a doe, who was being retained by the breeder)?  The breeder offered me the best buckling of that litter for an amazing price. So, when he is weaned the end of this month, I am getting 2 doelings and a buckling from her. I was going to save up and buy a buckling from her next year and then work on closing my Nigerian herd (90% of the does are unrelated) but she has this amazing buckling that she didn't want to wether because he is so great, so she offered him to me.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: