Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 24, 2018, 07:57:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

hihand Welcome!

19479 Posts in 1386 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Not sure why but.....
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Not sure why but.....  (Read 273 times)
Goat Genius
Posts: 9478

« on: January 20, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »

Well, actually I do know why.

A few months ago I sold 2 of my mini Nubians. The buyer was going to make payments. Then, she decided that she wanted to go with larger goats (Nubians) and wanted to sell some of her Nigerians. She asked if I wanted a weanling. (I had mentioned I wanted to do the opposite, downsize to smaller goats) Sure, why not. I traded the weanling for the balance she owed me. Nicely bred doeling that will cross nicely with my Nigerian buck. Unfortunately the doeling brought in a bacteria to my herd and they all got sick and I lost 1. The rest have recovered. The girl, on the other hand, had a horrible problem with whatever it is that is plaguing her herd. She is very new to goats. She bought all her goats this past summer from a variety of herds. Most of the Nigerians came from 2 or 3 well respected, established herds that were being sold out due to owners health problems. She lost several animals (all her well bred Nigerian bucks) and had a horrible go of it. The vet did a necropsy and it seems the bucks were what brought the bacterias into the herd. She finally seemed to get it under control.

So, fast forward a few weeks. She was buying a Nubian yearling from me. She offered me a very nicely bred Nigerian doe (possibly bred) in trade. Sure, why not. We waited to exchange animals until she got whatever it was under control. Then she offered me the yearling does dam for a decent price. Sure, why not? Lol

So Wednesday we did the swap. However, I kept the Nubian doe a little longer because one of her Nubians aborted quads that morning. Fortunately the 2 herds are kept separate, so the Nigies should be fine and I didn't want my yearling to end up with whatever it may be.

So, my Nigerian buck currently has 2 adult does and a yearling for his little harem. The 2 does are possibly bred. Plus I put a deposit on an extremely well bred doeling for this spring. So, I am on my way to a well bred, CAE- herd of quality Nigerians.

Now, the hard part. How do I part with some of my big girls?  Sad Cry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Goat Genius
Posts: 19357


« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 07:38:26 AM »

When Shane told me to sell the Does that were having single kids twice in a row, it was terrible hard on me to do that.  Those girls were having dandy single babies and were registered to boot.  So I understand how hard it is to say goodbye to those girls.  Keeping the end goal in mind, is what we have to do.  The sorrow of selling my Pygmy's to bring in the Boers...I still kick myself for that.  Keep the end goal in mind, and remember, they aren't just pets...they are there to bring in some money and help pay for themselves.  You have a good home for them, and a lot of folks can't say that.  It's still really hard to do.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius
Posts: 1622


« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »

While it is always hard to let the go , hold out for a buyer who you feel really good about.  Makes it a bit easier for me.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Powered by SMF 1.1.20 :: SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines
Amber design by Bloc | XHTML | CSS