HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2018, 02:49:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
1592 Posts in 72 Topics by 726 Members
Latest Member: chester_boer
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Not sure why but.....
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Not sure why but.....  (Read 792 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »

When I said mini  I meant the small guys and Nigerians are smaller. sometimes I am not very good at getting the point across  Smiley   Smaller breeds are popular here too and my friend who used to breed registered Nigerian dwarf goats got a really good price for her kids and they sold quickly and especially when they had the color. 

I have been tempted by her babies a time or two!!

Sounds like a good deal on the buckling.  I take it he is unrelated to all your goats?  Are the new doelings siblings to him?  I would have a hard time keeping everyone straight by the time they were old enough to breed, even with records Roll Eyes
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2018, 09:34:10 PM »

No, he's not related to any of my goats, or the ones I am getting. She has several bucks. She is the breeder of my senior buck and the cross between my guy and the sire of my now junior buckling is near as perfect as you can get. That cross is cleaning up in the ring these days up here.

I used to raise Nigerians years ago, way before ADGA accepted them. I sold them all when I got my Alaskan Malamutes, because I could never seem to keep those tiny kids in their pens, and I was afraid the dogs would get them.

3 years ago I decided I wanted to raise Mini Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli, so I searched for the perfect buck. I found one, a Chamoise, blue eyed, polled buckling. When I went to see him, I was offered another buck also, a gorgeous black, moon spotted, blue eyed hunk of adult Nigerian buck. I fell in love and took him home, even though he was considerably more $. His mini kids were incredible. I decided I wanted to get a couple of Nigerian does for him. The woman I got him form had just sold all her Nigerians, so I contacted my boys breeder. She was very happy I contacted her, she wanted to by Volty back! I sure didn't want to sell, but we talked about bloodlines that "click" with Volt. I took her suggestions and put a reserve on that doeling. The rest is history! Lol

Volts breeder has a son of Volt, OMG, he is gorgeous. She also has several granddaughter and great granddaughters. Breathtakingly beautiful.

In the meantime, I sold a pair of twin Mini Nubians, a Nubian weanling and a Nubian doe to a girl on time payments. She lost her job. She offered to trade a Nigerian doeling and 2 adult Nigerian does for those that she got from me. Ok, that way I know I would get paid. One of the does had triplets, 2 does and a buck. I sold one of the does and the buckling and retained one doeling. That made 1 buck, 2 does and 2 doelings. She then offered me another doe who would cross beautifully with Volt, similar breeding and all. That gave me 4 does and a doeling (the doeling I got last fall is now a yearling)

So, that is how I ended up where I am right now, with a senior buck, a junior buck, 4 adult does, and 3 junior does. Lol

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2018, 07:29:04 AM »

That sounds just like the way we did it getting our Kiko herd built up.   Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 02:33:17 PM »

I went down Thursday and got my trio. My babies, and her entire herd, are even more gorgeous in person than in pictures! I wish I had about $2000.00, as she had a few more for sale that I would love to own!

Once they settle down, I will get pics and try to post them. My computer is giving me fits when it comes to posting pics I have saved on it.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »

Deb, I started using that website called Keep & Share.  It seems to upload really fast.  I haven't figured out yet how to post the direct image rather than the link yet...but I haven't really worked with it either.  I really like how fast it uploads pictures.  This new Windows 10 doesn't edit and reduce the pictures as easy as Windows XP did through paint to use the Additional options portion.

Congrats on the new babies. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 10:33:54 AM »

So, my 1st 2 Nigerian does from my new herd came in heat and were bred by my buck! I can't wait to see his kids in 5 months! I have seen his kids when he was owned by his breeder and another well known breeder and they were spectacular! One of these girls I bred him to is top quality on her own, so these 2 ought to make fantastic kids. On top of their super breeding and body type, all 3 are black with white spots and moonspots, plus the buck and one of the does has blue eyes.

I really want to start showing at a couple of the shows that are close by, and these will be the start of my show herd. I eventually want to have mostly Nigerians, since they are cheaper to feed and easier to handle (I've had way too many accidental injuries from the standards!) and I won't be drowning in their milk. Also, I want to start planning for retirement when I can stay home and make and sell cheese and soap.

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 01:12:49 PM »

How exciting !! 

I always anticipate the kidding of my nicest does and so far they haven't disappointed me yet!  5 months will go by so fast Smiley

A couple from church who used to raise Boers, Nubians & Alpines  went to Nigerians as they got older .  They had registered stock and had no problems at all selling those beautiful colored babies!

I was so tempted to get a few for myself, but didn't.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 03:35:03 AM »

I can't wait to see those gorgeous babies when they are born.  There is nothing as striking as a black baby with bright blue eyes.  To me that's the most beautiful goat in the world.  They don't have to have spots or other colors, when they are that bluish colored black with those magnificent eyes.  Smiley  Of course my second favorite would be the tri color with those blue eyes...then I'd be melted like butter on a hot tin roof!!!  laugh

Since I had my pygmys, I've always been in love with the mini breeds.  I want to have two Nigi's one day.  I don't think I'll ever own a breeding herd again, but I do want two nigi's and two pygmys.  I'd be real happy with that.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 03:58:56 PM »

I can't wait to see what those guys will produce. So much color in the bucks background, plus a couple of the does have lots of color variations too.

The 2 new doelings I got a couple of months ago have backgrounds that look like spotted rainbows! Lol My Junior buck is a gold and white pinto. His dam was wildly colored- spotted golden buckskin, just tons of big spots!

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 05:28:53 AM »

Wow, that sounds awesome.  Lets face it, color sells.  The more wild and crazy the color the higher the price.  Helps to have the good bloodlines if you have a breeder who knows what they are doing...but pet quality, they want lots and lots of color. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: