HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2018, 12:38:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19482 Posts in 1387 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Recovery from pneumonia
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Recovery from pneumonia  (Read 397 times)
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« on: January 22, 2018, 01:18:42 PM »

One of my older Nigerian wethers (he's 12) had a bout of pneumonia back at Christmas.  I really didn't expect him to pull through and spent several nights under a heat lamp with him thinking he would take his last breath.  He had high fever, severe coughing, rattling in his lungs and he refused to eat anything for several days.  Anyway, I treated him with Biomycin and all the supporting therapies that I could think of. He is doing much better now but still turns his nose up to everything except bagged chopped alfalfa hay.  I have bought every kind of feed offered for sale at Tractor Supply that I can for goats and horses (our horse's regular horse pellets, Calf Manna, sweet feed for horses, sweet feed for goats, pellets for goats, alfalfa pellets, timothy pellets, etc....  He previously loved his diet of senior horse feed topped with sunflower seeds but now just kinda nibbles at it but not really eating much of it.  I bought a bag of chopped alfalfa/timothy hay to try (same brand)  but he doesn't like it, only the chopped alfalfa hay.  Also bought a bag of chopped alfalfa, timothy, and oats hay with molasses. So, other than a little grazing on a few weeds, he only eats the chopped alfalfa hay and he still likes his minerals which I mix ammonium chloride in those.  He quit eating regular baled grass hay a year and a half ago so was doing really well on the complete senior horse feed.

I know it's good that at least he like the alfalfa hay and is eating, but I worry about his calcium to phosphorus ratio too.  Am I missing something that y'all can think of that I could try and see if he will eat?

Also, he is still coughing some (but not like before) which the Dimetapp that I have continued to give him seems to help that some.  The Dimetapp seems to help him a little better than the Benadryl and Robitussin that I was giving him through this.  Do you think he could possibly have some scarring on his lungs from the pneumonia which is causing the continued cough or is there something else that would help that?

So I have continued the Dimetapp, Probios, and Fortified B complex gel.  I started just doing the Fortified B Complex gel every other day now.

Hope that all made some sense.  Wink Let me know if I left anything out that you would need to know.  

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:48:29 PM by creekmom » Logged

Elizabeth
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 03:53:54 PM »

Today, when you just say Dimetapp( several forms of this med-- not same as when  I was working), it will depend upon which form will help the cough best.  You will need the Robitussin DM (over the counter) to  go with plain Dimetapp, which is usually an antihistamine/decongestant.  I like the 1/3 wiskey/brandy, 1/3 honey, 1/3 lemon juice for cough.  The Rob DM,  will break up congestion, and inhibit cough reflex.   I would try  some penicillin if the Biomycin did not work well, and would use until better. Try a topping of molasses on alfalfa.  Hope the goat gets better, and keep warm--perhaps, a goat blanket, as it is cold here.
 Most meds have changed their formula since I retired, and watered down---so to speak.  I would continue the
Probios and B Comples.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 05:36:08 AM »

Elizabeth, I'm sorry your boy is not feeling well...those senior boys tend to not recover as quickly as the younger sprouts do.  You're doing a good job with him, hang in there, and he'll get through this. 

I personally would remove the OTC cough med's completely.  I used that on one goat before and it really didn't do him much good at all.  Prince in his senior years would do this same thing after a bout of pneumonia.  His pneumonia was brought on from his allergies.  High fever, wouldn't eat, nor would he drink very much.  It was a battle bringing him back.

I would personally put this boy on Zyrtec...1/2 pill once daily.  I would continue his probiotics but I would stop the antibiotics all together unless he's got a fever, or a nasty runny nose that's discolored.  I would feed him some cucumbers diced up real small, some carrots diced up real small, black berries (just a few), raspberries (just a few) (you can get these frozen in the grocery store), and a few raisins, maybe some spinach leaves.  Let him eat all the hay he wants of course.  Don't worry about the grain at this time...he will eat it again when he feels better.  Start out easy with the fresh veggies, feed it twice a day.  Grain is just a supplement for their diets, not their main course...it's just there to get the protein values up...at this point he's not feeling good, so we need to enhance his "want" to eat.  Fresh veggies worked great with Prince when every thing else failed.  He loved the raspberries and the blackberries.  Very medicinal to them when they are so very old. 

I would probably give him just a little of the molasses/coffee mixture...I wouldn't use the whiskey because we don't want his body temp to go up...the molasses will replace the blood sugars he needs and the coffee will stimulate him to be more active and perky, as well as get that ticker of his working better. 

If you need something for his cough, you could try Charles's mixture and see if it works but if you do, don't give the molasses coffee mixture.

Bcomplex is good given 4 days in a row, off 2 days and back on for 4 days.  If he eats the fresh veggies, you may not need the bcomplex any longer.  If he eats the fresh veggies, gradually add some of his grain to it...put the grain in the bottom and the veggies on top.  This is what I did with Prince and finally that boy took to eating better than he had before.  I did stay with the Equine Senior...but I didn't soften it, like I had been doing.

Ma, he's old...it takes a long time for them to rebound, but with the care you're giving him, he will rebound.  Hang in there...you're doing a fantastic job with him.

~ Birdie ~
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 09:35:38 AM »

Thank you Pam and Mr. Charles.....I will try the suggestions.  I hadn't even thought of the fruits and vegetables.  I should have remembered you did that for Prince.  Sometimes I get tunnel vision and that is what is so great about this group.....to remind me of things I should already know. 

I'm not very good at relaxing when it comes to these guys.    Smiley

Elizabeth
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 11:08:47 AM »

I wouldn't worry too much about the calcium:phos ratio at this point. You want the calcium to be high, and a lot of poeple feed alfalfa and nothing else to their herds with great results.

Some kind of immune boosting herb (echinacea) might help give his immune system strength to help fight this off.

And yes, he could have scarring in his lungs that keep shim coughing. If you have access to asthma inhalers, you can rig up a cone that fits over his nose and give him 2 puffs twice a day and see if that helps.

Strong coffee helps  the lungs (I use it when I have an asthma attack and don't have my inhaler)

Menthol (Vicks or something similar) in a steam bath and have him inhale it might help open those lungs. Or, if you can get him in a small area, a diffuser  with peppermint/menthol essential oils might help.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 06:11:50 AM »

Excellent Idea Deb...I forgot all about the VetRx and the Vicks...I did indeed use that on Prince as well.  The inhalers I hadn't thought of that, but it sure would help to clear that sinus tract and those lungs at the same time.  A steamy hot pot of Vicks water would work good too, if you can get it done easily enough.  Our set up would have made that a real risky task...but if it could be done that would be excellent.

And Elizabeth you are right...we do tend to forget things when we're so worried we can't think straight or we've worked with them so long that we are stressed about what to do next.

That's what Goatbeat is all about, helping one another to remember, coming up with ideas like Deb suggested with the inhalers, and such...Charles's mixture...great ideas coming from great Goat owners.  It makes all the difference in the world.

~ Birdie ~
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 07:57:45 PM »

I was talking about the 1/3 mix for me.  Yehaw     The Zyrtec is a long acting antihistamine, and has a drying effect. The nasal passages will need a decongestant as well.  Vicks in the nose will work.  Veggies are great for any animal; however, if he is not eating well, I surely would try to enhance the appetite with a topping of molasses (not large amt)on the Alfalfa, that he is eating. Grain on bottom, a layer of veggies, then the molasses should work.
 The ageing goats will have a hard time to fight off infection, as their immune system is getting less with age. The boosting of the immune system is paramount to getting him well.
 Hey, my cough mix for people may work well with a goat!!  Yehaw
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 06:30:32 AM »

Elizabeth, how's your boy doing?

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: