HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2018, 09:53:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
19426 Posts in 1377 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  It's milking season again!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: It's milking season again!  (Read 237 times)
MedsHomestead
Goataholic

« on: February 20, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »

So all the kids I wanted to sell from this kidding season left over this past weekend - so that means milking season is upon me again.  The girls were a little rusty for the first time - plus I have yet another set up for my milk stand.  But by the second time, I only had to open the gate and call the girls by name, one by one - they went right to the stand and waited for grain in the grain box and the head gate to be closed. I am so stoked that these girls know their j-o-b! AND this year my girl's milk is the "sweetest in all the land."
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:07:06 PM »

I have a few weeks to go before I can use the girls milk, but I can't wait! Glad you have some good girls with sweet milk....makes all the hard work worth every second.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 05:40:36 AM »

A cooperative milking animal (saying animal because we also milked cows), is the grandest thing ever.  Countless times I've been cow kicked or my bucket kicked over, or just an unruly girl who has to potty right smack dag in the middle of milking.  Roll Eyes  The goats...our girls were meat breeds so they didn't exactly care for that thing called "Milking".  Oh man, battle city trying to get them milked down.  My goodness, such drama for a quart of milk.  hahaha.  Grin Grin

I'm so happy your girls cooperate and do so well for you.  I'm sure they are just as happy about milking season as you are. Smiley 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 12:54:39 PM »

I have been blessed with very mild mannered milk cows.

Our goats on the other hand.....   The Nubian we had to milk spent her whole time trying to lay down.  My son milked while I held her back end up  Grin   That got old really fast and we were so thankful when her single surviving kid that year could keep her soft enough we could stop.  To her credit she did get better after a few days.  The cheese I made with her milk was awesome.

I have also had to milk a Boer doe on occasion.  She wasn't bad at all and after she realized she couldn't lay down ( what is up with that??)  she stood like a champ.

Glad to hear your experiences are better.  Enjoy that milk.
MedsHomestead
Goataholic

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »

I would love to get a Jersey milk cow - or a Brown Swiss, we've had both breeds in the past, but now it is only 3 of us in the house now, and just cannot consume that much milk.

I trained these four does the same week 3 years ago - it wasn't always grins and giggles but I am glad we are past those days!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: