HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 19, 2018, 03:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19530 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Stork Talk (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Kidding begins
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Kidding begins  (Read 204 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: March 22, 2018, 02:25:34 PM »

I have had 14 does kid in the last week.

4 sets of trips.

1 single.

All the rest are twins.

2 were born dead and unfortunately I think a mom with trips must have laid on one  Cry

I have 28 live kids so far  14 boys, 14 girls.

3 does left to kid  Smiley  1 anytime now and the other 2 have a few weeks to go.

Have had several harrowing moments--

1. Found momma and baby by the barn at 2am and ushered them into a pen.  Unknown to me she had another kid around the back of the barn.  I heard him crying at 6am on my way to check on everyone.  He had been rained on  Cry  but I dried him off , bottled him some colostrum ( boy did he suck that down pronto)    and thankfully the FF mom accepted him no problem.

2.  Again at 2am I find a doe had birthed trips out in the common goat area.  I get everyone into a pen.  My one goat "Cindy Lou"   has a fondness for bursting through the gate for parts unknown.  She does this while I am getting mom and babies settled, and takes several other goats with her  Angry.   I get some grain and thank the Lord they all come!    One doe comes running in and she is deflated !

I search around and find a single baby cleaned off but just laying there.  He is still alive. .  I trudge back down the hill and warm up colostrum and get him and his mom in a pen.  I rub him with a towel and he perks up and downs the bottle of colostrum.  His mom is completely indifferent to his existence.  I put him right next to the hay she is eating and go to bed.  I bottled him again in the morning and then he starts moving around and making noise.  At that point she is at least looking in his direction and goes over to sniff him.

At 3pm I have my daughter restrain her and we attempt to get him to nurse.  No go.  So I bottle him again.  At  6pm we try again with success!  I let him drink his fill, she chews her cud and sniffs his backside, talking to him.  At 9pm I go out to the barn and find him eating on his own  pg

After this I have been able to get them penned before kidding, but everyone is kidding at night!!!

I am starting to integrate them into the general population and will post pics when things slow down.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 01:26:58 PM by Julie H » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:12:27 AM »

Wow, Wow and triple WOW!!  What a year you're having.  Busy beaver huh?  I can't wait to see all the new babies.  I'll bet they are just precious.  Congrats on the new arrivals.  Hopefully the work you're putting into all this gives you a lot of joy when it's all over with.  Once you're caught up on your sleep that is.  Wink

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 11:46:15 AM »

Great numbers! All those does. Woohoo!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 01:28:46 PM »

I had to edit as I had 4 sets of triplets!   I can't believe the range of colors I have this year including 2 BLACK does!!!!   I keep telling myself I can only keep 3.......
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 03:16:47 PM »

Congrats! Good job Julie! It 's always such a relief when mam decides to take care of them.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 06:46:17 AM »

It's that dog gone year that you can only keep a few, that you want to keep them ALL!!!  Oh geezy Pete.  Buy more land, that's all there is to it....if you're like me, and I know you are, it's going to be too dog gone hard to let them go.  I remember our first year with goats...we weren't going to breed.  We only had Does.  Pygmy's.  They were for eating brush.  Tamed those cute little girls down and man oh man, every neighbor for miles and miles came to play with them.  One neighbor says to me "Pam, if you breed them, we want the babies."  Well after a few months of thinking on that and those two girls really making grand shows for us...I went and I bought a buck.  A gorgeous light caramel with black dorsal stripe and black points, 4 black stockings...oh yes, he was a beauty to behold...tamed him down, named him Moses...oh yeah, he was a looker that caught every eye including the coldest heart.  He did fine with my girls.  He produced us the cutest little babies.  Twins to both girls.  Shooter (was my tri colored little beauty that I really really wanted so bad), Punchie his twin brother, not so cute, but just ugly enough that only a momma could love and I did love him.  Then came Oreo, oh man, a dandy gorgeous baby girl that looked like an oreo cookie.  Then came Panda, marked EXACTLY like a Panda bear.  Girl I tell you, I was in heaven...absolute heaven.

All the neighbors from miles around came to witness the birth, and see the new arrivals, and the word spread quickly..."Pam's got baby goats." and here they came...every one wanting to buy my 4 little babies.  Well let me tell you what....Shane and I looked at one another, and said "nope, we can't sell them."  We kept them.  It was just too hard to let them go. 

So my friend, buy more land...those gorgeous babies leaving your farm, isn't an option for your heart.  Cheaper to buy more land.  Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 01:23:08 PM »

I have plenty of land!  What I am lacking  is something you can't buy ------ energy and time!!

I have 21 breeding does already and that is my max.  You are right it will be really hard to let  these girls go  Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: