HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2018, 09:55:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
19426 Posts in 1377 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Brandy Wine...
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Brandy Wine...  (Read 171 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: March 23, 2018, 04:39:26 AM »

Well this pup is now 3 yrs old next month.  She is a horse of a different color for sure both attitude, color, size, weight, and of course health.  Well trained and a perfect dog for my example dog training classes.  However, this heifer...(she's almost as big as a heifer...lol) has kidney issues.  When she was a young pup, about 3 months old or so, she liked to chew on the Azalea bush.  When I'd catch her I would immediately stop her and wash her mouth out so that the oils didn't get into her.  After that she started hiding when she was chewing on it.  Caused her to have an enormous kidney infection.  Well we decided that all the Azalea's on the farm had to go.  Started pulling all those out.  All was good for a year or so, and low and behold as we pulled the multitudes of these things out, we would miss a tiny limb or stem here and there in the clean up.  Brandy would find it and chew it and again, back to the Vet for more medications and treatments.  Ok, 2 yrs of that in LA.  We move here to Texas and this gal who owned this house was obsessed with Azalea's.  In the back yard alone, we pulled 75 Azalea plants out.  OH LORDY!!!!  Well we took extra special precautions to make sure we cleaned up around it as best as we could.  Nope, Brandy found leaves and tiny stems and low and behold last summer off to the Vet again with her pee'ing out chunks of blood this time.  Well 485.00 later we have a high powered antibiotic and other anti inflammatory drugs, and told that if she got another kidney infection we would have to take her to Texas A&M as it's damaged her kidney.  OH LORDY THIS PUP!!!  Well here we are, a year later and sure enough, Brandy started into a kidney infection again this morning.  At 3:45am, she woke me up almost screaming to go outdoors.  I let her out and got coffee made (once I'm up, I'm up to stay, there's no going back to sleep), I went out with Sammy and Sasha and see her squatting about every 20 steps.  OH MAN!!!!  not again!  There are NO azaleas in our back yard, and no toxic plants of any kind back there.  What in the world has happened now?

I'll call the vet today, and get an appointment set up for next week.  I've changed Vets, so this one is a MUCH better vet.  I have enough antibiotic to go her for 5 days.  My Vet is constantly booked solid.  And she's not open on weekends.  So thank goodness the other vet gave me enough to go her if it happened again after her 10 day run. 

How in the world?  Only this pup knows.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »

Oh, man, poor Brandy. Hard telling what caused it, but hope she gets better soon.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »

Poor girl.  It is bad enough the few times I have had one, I can't imagine my dog going through that.  Hope it clears quickly.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 06:34:32 AM »

I wonder....I had a gardener come and help me get caught up (with the surgery and Shane's family coming in 3 weeks Shane said go ahead and hire someone to help me get caught up, so I did)...he trimmed all my shrubbery.  Is any of that toxic?  We raked up the trimmings and pitched them into the woods which is not in the dogs yard.  I wonder if she chewed on those?  I don't know the names of these shrubs.  There are like 4 different kinds out there.  Other than roses, that's all that's out there.  Banana tree hasn't came back yet, the lilies haven't started blooming yet.  Roses are blooming, but we trimmed them all back, and I know those aren't toxic.  I don't know what caused this one.

She is doing fine.  She got her third dose of antibiotic this morning.  She's not pee'ing as often this morning, or fretting like she's in pain like she was yesterday morning.  Hopefully I caught this one in time.  She does fret...you should see her...it's a constant pacing, with her head down to the ground, and then all of a sudden she squats and potties, and starts it again.  This pacing speed isn't slow either, it's a rather fast walk.  I did check her urine and there isn't any blood that I can see yet.  Last time she had chunks of blood that I took a sample to the vet with me.  That was the first time she had ever done that.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »

Some dogs are just prone to UTI's. She could be one of them. Maybe give her cranberry capsules daily to help prevent them?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 07:28:56 AM »

I wondered that same thing Deb.  I'll try it.  It's worth keeping her out of the Texas A&M vet collage emergency room for sure.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: