HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 10:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20238 Posts in 1450 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Baby Season Has Started
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Baby Season Has Started  (Read 181 times)
Jan
Caprine Guru

Central CA. Boers, Nubian, Alpine

« on: March 26, 2018, 02:07:52 PM »

Our baby season has started!  Annie, our ff Nigerian mix, had quads. We thought she bred with BoarHog (Pygmy stud on loan) but she went one month past possible date.

We thought, oh no ........  that can only mean a through-the-fence date with boer-starting-puberty male. They do have Handsome’s coloring. He’s the grandsome of the stud we rented 2 years ago. We used Handsome as our stud this year but months later than Annie’s babies date.

Anyway, Annie (as a ff) fooled us more than once, but we had her in the birthing pen, had just cleaned her shelter after the massive rain and the worker left at noon. When my son got home at 4, we had 4 babies, all on their feet and nursing. So she did a fantastic job all on her own. I was on the computer getting ready to order a security camera for the birthing pen when he came running in to tell me about the babies.

I don't want to be perfect, I just want to make a difference.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 04:14:24 PM »

Gotta love those surprise births! And quads! Awesome. Congrats!

Sneaky Annie....... Angry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »

Good mama Annie!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:32:57 AM »

Oh wow!!!  This is awesome.  I'm so happy for you and your Annie girl...that's really overwhelming to a FF and for it to be quads and her doing well with them...she's definitely a keeper Doe for sure.  I'll bet they are just adorable.

~ Birdie ~
Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 11:04:02 AM »

We were sooo worried this would be one, big baby. I suspect we have two babies around seven lbs, one about 5.5 lbs and Runt probably weighs about 4. I am overwhelmed with USDA audit,  VA audit, tax return which I’ve postponed twice and haven’t been to the pens in days. I’m letting the hired help do the outside stuff.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »

Yes ma'am, that is overwhelming.  Back home, where I was raised and lived most of my life.  We had 3600 acres of row crops (soybean, corn, milo, wheat, and rye), and that was a full time job within itself.  We also had 1200 acres of Cattle and Hogs (400 head of cattle, 200 head of hogs), and that within itself was an absolute full time job, especially during pigging and calving seasons ---pigging season was year round for us, a birthing lot of at least 30 to 50 head every 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days...then weaning all at the same time---then conditioning those sows back for rebreeding---tons upon tons of work.  Then we had the mobile home sales lot...OMG, what a pain that was.  And of course to add insult to injury, we added the mobile home transport nation wide.  Then you add on the 5 hand milk cows morning and night, the 195 head of chickens that I was silly enough to think I could make money selling eggs, and of course the sheep (we only had 20 head), and the few Spanish goats (which I'll never own another one) only 10 in total.  The horses (7 in all), the dogs (multiple dogs, from livestock working dogs, to personal pets), then the multitudes of Cats...had to have lots of them, due to the grain bins and feeder lots...My Son, who was raised basically in a combine going up and down rows from sun up to sun down.  Hay season, harvest, sowing, disc'ing, plowing, fertilizing, weed spraying, liming, and all the other good stuff that comes with crops.  We were wicked wore out by days end.  It was a family farm, father in law, uncles, dads, aunts, cousins, all of us chipped in where we could...some of the girls didn't like the castration season...but me, and my Son, we were there.  The family gardens were 5 acres big, and tons of work, harvest and canning was a crazy time. 

Oh I feel for you in your endeavor of keeping books on all of it.  Thank God for my mother in law who did her dead level best to keep all those books, records, logs and journals.  Thank God for a good Tax Accountant.  Tax season, brought out words that no one should ever hear.  A whole new Sailors language was developed.  Then winter came...holy cow.

Hang in there Jan...Hang in there.  Wish I were there to help you.

~ Birdie ~
Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 03:37:16 AM »

Birdie:  I whine and whine ‘bout my last few months, but I bow to you. You really have done it all. I’m in awe of you.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 05:37:42 AM »

Birdie:  I whine and whine ‘bout my last few months, but I bow to you. You really have done it all. I’m in awe of you.

That's sweet girl friend...but it's I who is in Awe of you...you see I didn't have the ailing family.  Not until my Daddy had his heart attack.  Then life changed big time.  You see my dear friend, we had help...lots of help...the family was a big part of it all.  You are tending this all by yourself.  That takes some kind of strong to do that.  I see you in my dreams at night, working hard and worrying even harder.  My heart goes out to you.

I see Dragonlair, working two jobs with her body falling apart, and still puts her jobs and her animals and her farm ahead of her own health.

I see NancyD.  Major Surgery on her leg, that brought on other issues that risk her very life with that infection that set in, and then the loss of her husband, yet she keeps going, keeps trying, keeps that place together after all she's been through, she does it with a daily joke and humor.

I see cbdale, his wife's health failing fast and he still works hard, and tends his wife and tends those animals.

All this, makes me feel so bad that I can't help all of you, and others in the forum like you all.  It's the hardest jobs we've ever loved.  I stand in awe of all of you.  This is what makes us family. 

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 01:30:10 PM »

Those are big babies for a Nigerian aren't they??  Congratulations!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 02:33:02 PM »

I think we are all a little whacked in the head, that's why we keep going. 

Birds of a feather flock together!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 05:24:41 AM »

I think we are all a little whacked in the head, that's why we keep going. 

Birds of a feather flock together!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Amen my friend.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: