HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2018, 09:54:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
19426 Posts in 1377 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Goat named Skunk
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Goat named Skunk  (Read 168 times)
Jan
Caprine Guru

Central CA. Boers, Nubian, Alpine

« on: April 20, 2018, 01:32:57 PM »

Out here, Pygmy and Nigerian Dwarf are used interchangeably, and probably so inbred that no one knows for sure. Anyway, we have what I think is a ND, she is black/white and we call her Skunk.

She is the first-time Mom I posted about who had 3 babies a few months ago. And she has an injury:

Apparently she got into a disagreement with the herd queen who broke into her area. One of Skunk’s horns came off. And I don’t mean at the skull. It’s like a sheath came off a sword. The innards were bleeding and they (my adult son and caretakers) used blood stop powder to stop the pulsing bleeding. Skunk and her babies have been put in a secure area.

By the time we got back from a camping trip the injury was 4-5 days old. I will take a picture later and post. We saved the outside sheath should we be advised to glue it back on.

So, what should we do?  I don’t feel like it’s safe for her to be with the other goats. She has her babies (almost as big as she is) but any other goat the half-horn would be a throbbing bloody mess.

I don't want to be perfect, I just want to make a difference.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 03:21:07 PM »

I don't believe the sheath can be successfully put back on, the blood vessels are dead.
I would keep Skunk in with her kids.
Jan
Caprine Guru

Central CA. Boers, Nubian, Alpine

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »

Skunk and kids together but away from other goats?  Will the horn grow another sheath?  Will she ever be able to be with other goats?

I don't want to be perfect, I just want to make a difference.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 05:57:33 AM »

The horns bleed terribly bad.  The reason being, they have an artery that runs up through them, this helps to keep them cooler in the summer months.

No the sheath can not be put back on.  The sheath is dead.  The horn will most likely grow a protect sheath back.  However, it will take a long time for it to grow back and cover it.  You will probably have to keep it covered with dressing of some sort.  Such as gauze with some furazone cream applied before wrapping.  We used Vet wrap and gauze on Tadpole.  We would change it out once a week in the beginning, then went to once every 2 weeks once it started healing good.

First thing I would do is get a tetanus shot into her.  Just to be safe.  If it shows signs of infection, then I'd get her on Penicillin twice daily for 14 days...you can give that orally.  1cc per 50lbs.  It's going to hurt her for awhile.  Once that sheath comes off, it's a very tender area.  She may become head shy after all this is done so be sure to make it a positive experience, such as giving her a treat after you perform a treatment on her.  The main thing is to keep it from bleeding again.

There is a myth that goats won't bleed to death through their horns...well that's incorrect.  I almost lost Tadpole twice due to the bleeding.  If she looses a lot of blood, she may need some iron supplements to help her rebuild her blood supply.

Just keep it as clean as possible Momma...she'll be ok. 

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 11:37:23 AM »

Good call on the tetanus Pam.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 01:53:58 PM »

I had a young doe get twisted in the fence and pull the sheath off her horn.  I used vetrycin spray gel , as I just could not keep it wrapped. That seemed to keep a somewhat protective covering over it and helped with flies.  She was very cautious with where she put her head.    It bled like a son of a gun,  but it did harden up and now at 7 she has grown almost as much horn as on the other side.  It does curve differently, but she  has lived with my herd from the start.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 04:51:35 PM »

My Lamancha buck has 2 huge scurs. One of them did the same thing last summer that your girls horn did. I sprayed it with blukote and then just left it alone. It a remarkably short time, horny scar tissue grew over the stump and now you really can't tell the difference.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 06:12:18 PM »

Oh the trouble they can get into & still make it. Even more so when it is human error & they survive!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: