HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2018, 12:22:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19481 Posts in 1387 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Milk replacer issues update 6-7
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Milk replacer issues update 6-7  (Read 413 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 11:54:14 PM »

Jeffersonline carries them too. Mine never cared for those, but they love the tiny red ones for the first 2-3 weeks and then the black ones. Yeah, those black ones can be hard to control the flow on sometimes. I cut a small slit in the side of the nipple, a bit above where the bottle fits inside. Then I keep my finger on the slit to control how much air gets in and increases the flow. If I want them to get more, I lift my finger and it increases. Less, I almost completely cover the hole.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2018, 05:22:15 AM »

Jeffersonline carries them too.

Deb, I just checked Jeffers Online, and I don't see them.  The white ones that Jeffers does have is not these nipples.  These from TSC are a clearish white color, not solid white.  These from TSC are just exactly like the touch and feel of a real goats teat.

https://www.jefferspet.com/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&animal%5B%5D=Sheep&q=lamb+nipples&button=search

Did you find other ones than the ones in this link?

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 01:22:49 PM »

I saw the ones you describe today when I was at Orschelen's Farm & Home.  I never noticed them before but at $9.99 a 3 pack, I think I will just continue on with the black ones   Roll Eyes  I am afraid to switch them now and have them not like them.

On a side note the new replacer I have been feeding seems to agree better with them and no issues with bloat or refusing it.  It has all milk proteins.  The other I was using said " a blend of proteins"  and I wonder if it had soy in there somewhere ??  I read the label before purchasing and never saw it listed.  Anyways they are growing better and feeling good.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 04:39:52 PM »

Glad they are doing better.

The prices of these nipples is outrageous. I used to buy the Pritchard teats for like 2.95 for 3. Now the cheapest I can find them around here is 8.95 for 3.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 04:36:55 AM »

it is ridiculous how expensive those nipples are getting.  Have you looked at the calf nipples and bottles?  They are outrageous now.  The prices of milk replacer is out of this world.  You can't afford to raise a calf on milk replacer any more.  I don't understand why these costs have gone so high.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 01:39:29 PM »

A few years ago, after that Tsunami in Japan, the price of rubber jumped. That's when the nipples started getting expensive, and of course, once a price goes up, it doesn't usually come down.

Milk replacer? Clueless except the supply and demand. They know people have to buy it, so they can jack the price up.

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 02:09:41 PM »

A few years ago, after that Tsunami in Japan, the price of rubber jumped. That's when the nipples started getting expensive, and of course, once a price goes up, it doesn't usually come down.

Milk replacer? Clueless except the supply and demand. They know people have to buy it, so they can jack the price up.

I pay $ 3.75 for a 3 pack of the black ones, so not so bad.  I do go through many packages through the life of a bottle kid though .

I did have sticker shock when buying the replacer.  $23.00 for an 8 pound bag of what I am feeding now.  It lets a week and a half feeding the 2 ( i am guessing). 

It will sure motivate me to get at milking my heifer wether she needs it or not come mid June!!
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

** UPDATE**

Thought I would update you on how the 2 bottle kids are doing.

I have had no more issues since going to the more expensive all milk replacer.  The kids are just as tall as their siblings that are dam raised, but I have 2 issues.

1.  Their coats lack any shine and seems dry/ rough.

2.   They just lack the overall " bloom" I see on my other kids and any kids I've ever had.

My cow is due anytime after the 15th of June and I will get them on real raw cows milk if I can get this girl milking  ( you never know with a heifer!! Roll Eyes  )

I will try to get "Before & After"  photos so I can compare and see if it makes a difference.

Overall they are doing great though and that is the main thing...
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2018, 03:24:02 AM »

That luster comes from the fats and oils of the milk.  You could try giving them some wheat germ oil (again the good stuff is expensive, but a tiny amount goes a long long way).  These kids are over a month old now right?  You could try putting the infant baby oatmeal in their bottles now.  That really did all my bottle babies a lot of good.  Man did they grow fast and grow nice.  Hanna was the most amazing while on the baby oatmeal...she was absolutely gorgeous.  Wittle Weedle was on Vit D whole milk with the baby oatmeal like Hanna was, and man, at 4 months old he was 85 pounds and eating only a 1/2 cup of grain twice daily and getting 3 bottles a day.  That boy grew to be 320lbs at full growth and the nicest horn rack I've seen on a Kiko buck since Oberon.  Prince had a nice horn rack, but Weedles beat his even.  The Kiko Pride is in their horns. 

You could definitely try it, and it will help those babies a bunch.  Dragonlair (Deb) got me using it years and years ago and I totally swear by it now.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2018, 11:08:51 AM »

You could add a bit of heavy cream from the store in the milk replacer formula for added dairy fat.

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2018, 01:26:34 PM »

They are almost 3 months old now!  How time goes by....

I will see what happens with my cow and if that isn't possible i will look at adding the fat ( either through cream or wheat germ oil)  Thanks!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: