HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2018, 09:54:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
19426 Posts in 1377 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Emergency Only (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Sick baby
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Sick baby  (Read 116 times)
Jan
Caprine Guru

Central CA. Boers, Nubian, Alpine

« on: May 10, 2018, 04:20:07 PM »

Baby goat, 106.1 temp. Whimpering. Can’t stand, butt clean. About 2.5 months old.

I don't want to be perfect, I just want to make a difference.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »

Jan, I'm sorry to hear about your baby....has your baby got a cough or runny nose or watery eyes?  With that body temp it's terrible high...lets get him started on banamine for the fever, and if you can get some Excel antibiotic that would be terrific....that's given once daily and is the safest antibiotic on the market for young babies.  Keep him out of the cold and out of the hot sun.  Lets get him on some probiotic's as well.  Each one of these is once daily, and the banamine and the antibiotic can be given orally. 

Ice pack down his pulse points to get that temp down quicker.  But do not get his tummy wet.  That will throw him in shock and cause him a sudden heart attack.  Pulse points...over the eyes, behind the ears, arm pits, ankles, tail base, and even the neck area. 

~ Birdie ~
Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »

No cough, breathing sounds ok, nose ok. When my DIL saw him she thought she saw foam at mouth. I haven’t seen it.  He is as banded 10-12 days ago and band is in place.

This is NOT a bottle baby, not one who wants to be held, yet I’m rocking him.

He got 2 bsby aspirin, procaine pen, vit b, and selenium by mouth.

My mom who lived with us died on the 3rd, services yesterday so the hired girl is is handling all the outside chores.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 05:36:56 AM »

Oh Jan, I'm so sorry for your Loss.  If there is any thing I can do to help, please let me know.  Bug Hug you will be in our thoughts and our prayers... Praying

I would get baby on the Excel antibiotic...though I know it's only gotten through a vet it really works very good.  It could be due to the banding, but if it's not rotted looking, or smelly, I don't think that would be it.  Banamine works best with these babies for high temps...baby aspirin thins their blood too much in the summer months, and can cause heat stroke.  Though I'm sure you are keeping him out of the cold and extreme hot heat.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 10:46:26 AM »

Where do you live and how warm has the temp been?

Up here it has been a cold spring. We suddenly had a day of 90 degree weather and all my goats felt the effects. The kids were worst of all. They had high fevers ( they wouldn't stop playing until they got really over heated) and were lethargic. The temps tanked over night, back to cool, so they snapped out of it.

Another issue. People all over have been losing kids to something similar to what you described. Sudden sickness, no other symptoms but  fever and being lethargic. Some owners had a necropsy done at their vet college, but no elevated white blood cell count (so no infection) and the respiratory systems were clear. They were thinking some sort of viral issue even though the blood work wasn't off. If so, antibiotics won't work. However, Banamine and some sort of heavy duty antibiotic from the vet may be the way to go unless the vet see's the kid and has other suggestions.

If you're using baby aspirin, goats need a huge amount of aspirin to do any good, since they have such a fast metabolism. I would double what you are giving and do it every 4 hours until the temp came down.

BABY ASPIRIN *** (81 mg) If the goat is teeth grinding, indicating pain, you can crush up one baby aspirin for each 10 pounds of goat. Drizzle with molasses and dissolve in hot water. Give to goat orally, and can be given every 4 hours, as needed. Note: this may seem like a lot of aspirin for a larger goat, but it takes a large dose to cross the brain synapsis and have any effect. You can use adult aspirin as long as you are careful of the 81 mg per 10 lb. ratio. Real aspirin, and not Ibupropen or Tylenol is important, as the vehicle those medicines are carried in can severely irritate the goats’ stomach lining and affect their sense of balance. No milk withdrawl.

http://www.infovets.com/books/smrm/H/H045.htm
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 10:49:13 AM by dragonlair » Logged

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Jan
Caprine Guru

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 03:19:38 PM »

He died right after my last post. I’ve not experienced this set of symptoms before. The high temp was awful. I could tell the minute I picked him up, he was HOT!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 03:53:16 PM by Jan » Logged

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 06:34:20 AM »

Jan, watch your other babies.  When you see that first sign, get the banamine into them...ice pack the pulse points and I seriously suggest that you go to your vets and have a bottle of "Un-mixed" Excel on hand.  Once Excel is mixed, you have to use it within 10 days or it goes bad.  It's expensive, so we don't want it to go bad, but your Vet should allow you to mix it at home.  This is the best antibiotic on the market for young babies.  No side affects and works really good.  However you still need to get a probiotic into them with any antibiotic. 

I'm so sorry about the loss of your baby.  It hit him fast and took him fast, so there wasn't much you could have done.  Hopefully you won't have this happen again.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 02:27:02 PM »

Could it have been heat stroke?

Very sorry about your baby.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: